Star*

call 911........call 911
burnt out -

The fact that a 22 year old man with children placed HIS burdens on an already 'burnt out' Mother is shameful. HOW DARE HE - come to you and ask YOU to do MORE for HIM? Where do HIS repsonsibilities lie for his own children? Where is HIS RESPECT for his own already OVER BURDENED Mother and her three children struggling to get by? He's the one that should feel BAD.

You know what? You're too good a person to have the kind of people around you that you do. The ones that are making you feel bad for NOT taking him in? THEY should walk a mile in YOUR shoes. THEY should offer HIM and his two kids a room for a month - GRATIS. Let's see where THEIR Charity begins...They want to point a finger at you? Wonderful - ANYONE of them that opened their mouth to you while you have disabled children and an already over-burneded home - I'd turn right around to them and say "WELL THEN YOU TAKE HIM IN SAY FOR TWO WEEKS?" and when they say "He's not my son! He's yours" I'd say "That's RIGHt - that's exactly right and it would DO YOU GOOD to keep YOUR nose out of OUR families business unless you are willing to PUT YOUR NOSE IN OUR FAMILY BUSINESS AND TAKE MY FAMILY INTO YOUR FAMILY SAY FOR A MONTH OR TWO and make it your business - other than that? SHUT IT!"

Honestly! Anyone that looks at you and makes THOSE kinds of judgements? I'd dump them as "friends" so fast -----they'd still be spinning like dredles by Hanukka. Or like tops on Christmas - take your Seasonal pick.

You have done NOTHING wrong. At 22 - with TWO kids? He had to have SOME idea what he was doing - HE fathered TWO children - one child could have been an accident - but TWO? No maam. He made his chioces and now he needs to step up to the plate and make a living, and a way for HIS family. Maybe not allowing him to stay with you IS the best thing you could have ever done for him AND his kids. Sometimes it takes situations like this for guys to grow up quick, fast and in a hurry - and again ----This is NOT your problem and anyone that says it is? Is a nincompoop.

YOU are a good Mom - And you can be PROUD of yourself for what you didn't do - and what you DID do - AMEN
Hugs & Love
Star

burnt out

i'm a crying mess and I'm just not sure it really is the right thing? One things is I have ripped his heart out and if he came now he would make my life hell the moment something went wrong but again because I have done this to him. I love this kid even though I spent a few years where I hated him. Then I started to see that what he has is a disability and things were a little better. He has social problems and some autism as well as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). he really believes that this is his only hope of being with his girls again.
he said to me "you always do his you all ways let me down when i need you the most"
that was also what he abused me bout just weeks ago, my partner and i got together when my son was 3yrs old. we battled it out in the courts and battled his father for years until his father found himself a new wife.
We had my son in therapy and found out that my sons father was telling him to plan to run away... anyway we had years of hell, husband wanted to move to where we are now it’s tippled our income... we left my son with his father at 12 I’s where he wanted to be. He didn’t want to come with us as he had friends at school, of cause that didn’t last long for him. then he was screaming at me how we abandoned him, when he was going through the worst time in his life, teenage years... oh my goodness how he went on and on how I took his sister away (he had one sister down there as his dad had a daughter before we were together, I was a step mum at 18) and took myself away his mother.... I remember it different but listened to what he had to said and when he ranted and raced for an hour abusing me for the same stuff I said I was going, he screamed for me not to hang up but he had nothing more to add so I hung up. He had just lost his girls that was the only reason I sat there for that long while he cried and screamed.... I gave him that only for that reason and I defended myself.
For the last few months since he is with his sister I have coped abuse, from his sister going on that I was a terrible step mother making her fold clothes and wash dishes. To be honest I cant remember to much, I was a pretty messed up kid growing up in an abusive house. My sons father was 7yrs older than me, I was a child and taken advantage of by him, that is how I see it.
I look at my daughter 17yrs and cant imagine her pregnant with a step child.
Anyway the guilt is still so bad. What if he does something to himself and I hate to inflicked so much pain onto him, he can hardly cope.

burnt out

Leista thanks so much,
Star I didn’t’ see your post before I post. Thanks so much I need to hold on to your words and the words of others. My father killed himself when I was 8yrs old I constantly fear others will do this in my life.
My anxiety is out of control I feel so sick with worry, it’s to the point now where I cant sleep it’s 1am here and I have the fear of being at his funeral when I close me eyes It’s like I see it all unfolding..
I feel like a failure of a mother and am struggling to help my 7yr old (even though I said 9 it was a cover cause I didn’t’ want family to find my post as they have a link to my old posts on here..) anyway he screams and yells over the smallest things and I don’t know where I’m going wrong, I cant seem to raise boys! To have respect for me I love my kids with all I have but love isn’t enough. .

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhh Sweetie

You're far from a failure as a mother. Failure would be a Mom who put herself first and never gave a d*mn from the very beginning, who ignored issues to make her own life easier.......I could go on but you get the idea. You've spent a lifetime trying to help your children. That is not failure.

If you anxiety is out of control I suggest seeing a doctor for medications to help you cope with it. It's very difficult to make rational decisions with anxiety sky high, I know trust me.

Currently the 22 yr old is a failure at being a son.......that is not your fault. You can't force him to live the way he should live. It's his choice at this point to take what you taught him and use it, regardless of any dxes. Although I'm guessing the autism is making him obsess about his girls now that he's latched onto that though process.

The whole "you let me down when I need you most" routine is sheer manipulation because he knows if he can make you feel guilty enough......and make others make you feel guilty enough, you're going to give in.

One thing you can tell him is that moving home wouldn't help his case with his girls at all. No room for him, let alone two little girls. Shows he can't stand on his own to support them as well and provide food/shelter/clothing.

It's obvious how much you love your son. With adult children usually the best help you can give them is none at all. Life lessons from bad decisions/choices can be some of the best ways to learn.

Now call doctor and get that anxiety under control so you'll feel better and be able to cope with difficult child drama better.

((hugs))

H

HaoZi

because I have done this to him.

Oh no no no no no. He did this to him. He made those choices as a legal adult, now he has to live with the consequences. Your younger ones? They're your responsibility. Not him. If protecting them from him is in their best interest, that's what you do. You did your job as his mother - he made it to 18 alive and got out on his own. He's been out in that world for four years now, he should have an idea how it works. You did your mom job, now it's time for him to step up properly and do the father job for his kids. Him living with you isn't in their best interest either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Burnt out -

I'm not a shrink and I don't play one on the board. I'm just a person that has been through a lot in life. More than most, less than others, but I want you to really listen to things that I see between the lines in your posts. I see them? because I've either lived them and recognize them, and have done something about them and I'm now in a better place emotionally, physically, and mentally - and can offer some basic advice. NOT specific advice - because that is something that is going to take a lot of time and work on your part, and I don't have any answers for you on how that works out. What I do have is suggestions, and I know the outcome - I'm living proof it does get better, the guilt? Goes away, the kids? Can come to some kind of peace, and you can finally stop beating yourself into the ground because you feel you "SHOULD" have done this or that. I tell people often that should is a word most people need to remove from their vocabulary because at the time you did what you did? You did it because you felt it was the BEST THING to do. Few people look at a situation and say "Well I'm going to do this or that because I should have done the right thing but I think I will do the wrong thing, and worry about the consequences for my behaviors in 2o years." I'm speaking about leaving your son with his Father when he was 12. You did what you felt was the BEST thing. NOT the worst thing. So stop thinking "I SHOULD have.......blah blah blah." It's over, it's done with - you can't change the past, and your son at the time was 12, not 2, not 4 - he had choices, and he made them - free and clear. No one held a gun to his head and said - YOU HAVE to stay or you HAVE to go. HE made his choice, and now ten years later he wants to blame you because things didn't work out for himself? HOW in the world is that right? HE made the choice - and when things don't work out? He comes back and blames you? NO MAAM.

See this is the part where I would suggest SERIOUSLY and STRONGLY that you find a counselor and therapist. YOU my dear - STINK -------at drawing boundaries. That's why it hurts so badly right now to say NO about everything with him. And when you talked about your dad and his suicide? Wow - loads and loads of unresolved issues there, that have proabably carried over into your adult life. That must have been awful for you. You ARE a good person, but I see so much self-doubt in your words, that it makes me wonder if you've ever had ANYONE stand up for JUST YOU your entire life. A friend, a sister, anyone - even now your husband is willing to let this boy come into your home and destroy things - and for what? WHY? I don't get it. He is an ADULT that is ruining his own life and trying to take you down with him in a fury of guilt, and just for kicks adds in a religious factor? OH brother - don't even go there with me. I would then suggest that if he wants to move back home he goes to pastoral counseling for three months and lives at the YMCA or a half way house for men....NOT my home. Sounds like he's confused about WWJD - cause I know everyone is forgiven - but where is HIS forgiveness? He sure wants it - but isn't willing to GIVE it is he? So don't go chapter and verse on my hiney pastor boy. UGH. I never get how you can run like a heathen and then throw up the good book, but only pick out what you think pertains to your Mother when it suits your needs as far as getting what you want. I got a few to throw back - like Honor thy Mother for starters.

They (our kids) certainly know how to reach down to the bottom of the basement and pull up the ugliest of memories and hurtful things don't they? Well here's the good part about being part of this family. NOW YOU -----can say to him - "You know what Jr. - I'm not listening to you. AND .......hang up the phone. Shut the door, or turn off the texts......and DO NOT allow him to bully you any more. WHAT on earth do you think gives him the right? NOTHING - that's what - NOTHING - you owe him NOTHING - and don't you allow him to tell you otherwise. The day that you start believing what we are telling you? THE BETTER -----he is going to get. And each time - each and EVERY time - you stand up FOR YOURSELF? The better he will do FOR himself. It may not seem like it at first because he's gotten so used to using you for a crutch - and it will take him back a few notches - but eventually when he doesn't have you to smack around? He'll either get himself together OR he'll find someone else in the real world to pick on - and THEN he's going to find out REALLY quick that people do NOT take his BS - because people outside of YOU? WILL NOT TOLERATE his ka ka. The rest of the world won't treat him like a Special Education kid -----they are going to treat him like a regular kid - which is what he is begging for. So ------let him go. He's 22, a man - fathered 2 children and NEEDS to be working, living on his own, and finding his own way -

Ask yourself this - IF you died tomorrow. HOW would he get on? Seriously. HOW would he take care of himself. And if the rest of the world is what he had to face? HOW well are you preparing him for it if you CONSTANTLY feel sorry for him and take him in all the time and fix everything for him????? SURE he's mad, sure he's angry - WHY wouldn't he be. MOM has always fixed every little thing - It's a cycle - he gets frustrated - you smooth it over. He gets angry - you try to fix it. He BLOWS UP and is TOTALLY FRUSTRATED - You rush in and try to calm him and fix it some more - and just do it for him. He walks off with no responsibility - and you end up doing double the work - and it's nothing to him - because he has no work involved in it. So now? Guess what? He's going to have to work some - and GOOD FOR HIM. Good on you too - This isn't a bad thing. It's a good thing. Seems like a bad thing - because he's yelling - but it's a good thing because he's finally doing at 22 what he SHOULD have been doing like all the OTHER kids - at 15, 16 - but you were probably stepping in and fixing it for him. (my guess) Because iether it was easier, or you're an enabler or a fixer. Just didn't want to see him uspet. Felt sorry for him or whatever the reason - maybe it even had something to do with your own childhood.

Anyway -------If you are NOT already in counseling or therapy? Get into it. Please, do yourself a great big favor and find someone to talk to. There is so much about you that is beyond good, and confused......that woudln't take too much to sort out. And you have two other kids that are really going to need you there with ALL your wits about you, and in ten years - YOU are going to need to be happy - I spent 15 years in therapy and while I can tell you I didn't like it at first - I am glad for every session now - because I'm a better person, Mother, friend - and I absolutely can draw boundaries - say NO to people and mean it - You should see me with door to door sales people - I'm a terror. grrrrrrrrr. And I'm still nice - haven't lost my edge - I'm not all doped up. I take anti depressants too.....but I have peace and I have the love of the girls here on the board that at a moments notice if I were to say "OH I feel so sorry for Dude I'm going to let him move back home." OMW - the letters and ugly comments I would get ----like - HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND??? I would answer of course, (a long time ago I lost my mind - that's why I collect marbles) lol

Anyway - just wanted to tell you - about the therapy - don't let the pastor get to you - there are plenty here who can quote enough verses, or Ghandi or mote it so shalom- or what have you - to fill his head with tons of thoughs on religious natures, that really just don't even belong in an argument of this nature - Honestly if you're going to bring Jesus into an argument? It doesn't fit. I picture him as a peaceful man, unless you're selling stuff in a temple - then he's not so peaceful - but you weren't even in a temple or selliing stuff - So what's up with that. And as far as the guilt trip from 10 years ago? Good grief - Tell him it's the year 2011 - if he had a grievance from 2000 - he should have spoke then - you know when HE made his choice. Just like EVERY day he makes HIS CHOICES - and I'd add that if he CHOOSES to talk to his MOTHER disrespectfully ONE MORE TIME? YOU are going to CHOOSE to SHUT HIM OUT, HANG UP THE PHONE, or WHATEVER IT IS to get him out of your face - and if he calls back - you just say "JR. If you want to TALK to me? Fine - if you yell at me or guilt trip me? I WILL hang up." And if he doesn't respect the rules of the call? DO NOT warn him - JUST HANG THE FRIG up. Then if he calls back? Do not answer it - take the phone off the hook - and wait till another day when he can talk civil. If that day does NOT come - then you just don't talk to him. If he shows up at the house? And is beligerant? You call the police. He gets ONE warning - to leave - you can say "You WILL NOT be disrespectful of me or my home, you will NOT scare the children - I will talk to you but the VERY FIRST time you yell - or upset me? You have to go and if you do NOT leave? I will call the police." THEN DO IT. NO threats - DO IT - follow through. Oh and as far as "I have done this to him?" =======Get yerself a new line of guilt will ya honey? - You aint done nothing to him. WE (each one of us) makes our OWN choices every day- and all that goes back to SHOULD - which you really need to remove from your vocabulary.....cause you did do your best. And in doing so - you didn't do anything BUT your best for him. SEE?

And in the mean time - get that counselor - If you don't have money? Call your local mental health dept. they take any and everyone from free to sliding scale. FYI -

Hugs
Star

rejectedmom

You have had a very hard life and the lessons you learned from it are not serving you well. You have been programed over and over again to go against your gut and to follow the advice of people who are not invested in your well being. You need to stop talking to people who are going to judge your actions (sister's, neighbors, children, etc) and talk to a therapist instead. Long term therapy with a good professional will help you find the inner strenght you need to lead your own life and not one that others choose for you. You can find peace and happiness but it will take work and persisstence. I am truly sorry for you pain. I hope you will realize that your life and happiness is as valuable as anyone elses including your grown children's and get the help you need. -RM

M

mrsammler

Total agreement with everyone else's counsel here. I just wanted to add that difficult child's threat, whether explicitly or implicitly, of "let me come home or I commit suicide" is VERY standard difficult child manipulation. I know it sounds callous to say "ignore it--it's just crafty, heartless manipulation," but I'll say it: Ignore it--it's just crafty, heartless manipulation. That's not to say that it doesn't happen every now and again in difficult child-world (very very very rarely, actually), but you just can't conduct your life sanely or sensibly if you let him hold that gun to your head every time he wants you to submit to his desire to come home for shelter and, inevitably, wreck your life all over again.

april1974

You made the right choice, he's a man a grown 22yr old man and it's time he owned up to HIS responsibilities, guilt...I totally understand guilt but...you did the right thing for your kids, the only way your son will learn to stand on his own two feet is if you let go and make him. We all have to fall down alot to get our balance but the only way we ever learn to balance is for our parents to stop holding our hands, the apron strings must be cut. This does not mean you don't love him and can't support him with advice and communication, even if he ignores you out of anger never stop texting, emailing, phoning or whatever you need to do to keep the lines open.

Be proud of yourself.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, honey. My heart is just crying for you and with you. I can see where your worry and fear come from. But in NO way was telling him he could not live iwth you a BAD thing. in my opinion it might just be what makes him into a real man. IF the busybody idjits stop feeding his pity party. In NO way are you responsible for him not having his kids with him. He is 22. You were FOUR years YOUNGER when you became a stepmom. Most moms start with a pregnancy or adoption period to get used to the idea. Then they have an INFANT to care for. THey don't just jump right in with an older child, they have time to learn before the kid remembers much.

Your difficult child has a serious case of revisionist history. He is blaming you for the "worst" time in his life. If the worst is going to school, having someone pay your expenses, parties, dates and no real responsibility, well then he will have one truly awesome life. No way is high school the "worst". Why is he not saying this time of not having his kids with him is the worst time in his life? Because he is NOT a parent. He is a child who needs to put on his big girl panties and learn to deal like a grown up.

Sit down right NOW and write out what your life was like at age 22. How many kids did you have, what was your job, how many parties did you get to go to each week, how much time did you get to do anything alone - even real luxury things like peeing with-o interruptions. Who paid all your bills and told your mom that she should let you move in and take care of you and your kids and teach you to be an adult?? What exactly would your mom say if you had asked her to let you come home and go back to being her little girl that she took care of and took care of your kids while you did nothing or played on the computer or whatever? I bet she would have either laughed hysterically or had you admitted for psychiatric care for being delusional.

We all wear a lot of hats. You are a mom to an adult, mom to two minors, a daughter, maybe a sister, an exwife, an employee, and you are yourself the person. The first big thing is to prioritize these rolls. Yourself the person has to be first. Life is like an airplane. If you put the oxygen mask on the kids first, you may pass out and die from lack of oxygen and then what will happen to the kids when the plane goes down? Who will care for them the rest of their childhood? Take care of YOU first so that you are able to care for others. Your second priority is wife if you are married, mixed with mother of two young children. The needs of your marriage (NOT husband as a person, the marriage) are second because kids are better off if their parents have a good marriage and stay married. Then your minor children are your priority. THey MUST come before the other relatives including your adult son. If you put him before them, it will damage ALL of them AND you and your marriage. NO WAY are you able to in good conscience put your adult son and his kids above the needs of your own.

As for these people who tell you that you must let him come home and that you have somehow ruined his life, they are the reason that we can screen calls and block some numbers. Tell them all to go and live their lives and to shut up. ANY time they start to criticize you for not doing whatever for your adult son and his children, hang up. THey are not htere in person. So hang up the phone. Don't say goodbye. Don't say why. Tell them ONE time that if they want to have any relationship with you they will STOP interfering in your life and your relationship with your son. They are free to have him live iwth them, and to be pleasant and respectful in their communication with you, but you will NOT listen to their opinions on your relationships wtih anyone but them. IF they bring up your son or his kids, hang up. If they are rude, negative, unpleasant, or you feel any anxiety at all, put the phone down and go do something fun iwth your kids, meditate, whatever you want to do that is NOT listening to their idiocy. For they ARE stupid and idiotic in their behavior on this issue.

Your phone is a portal into your life, just like the door on your home and your computer and the mailbox. You are under NO obligation to allow anything into your life except your minor children and husband. the rest of them are NOT crucial to your life. Close the portal. Anyone who has a fit or tries to scold you or shame you should be blocked from your phone and email and home. If they somehow come to your home to get into this with you, call the cops. They have NO rights in htis, and you have EVERY right to refuse to communicate with anyone who tries to bully you.

Star is totally right. get into therapy with someone who affirms your belief that this son needs to take care of his business by himself. period. If the therapist tells you to let your son live with you, walk out, do NOT pay for that session, and get an appointment with a new therapist right then and there. No GOOD therapist would tell you to let an abusive 22yo man move in and sponge off of you. If he is so disabled that he needs something like that, he can get a ride or a bus to social services and they will set him up with low income housing, food stamps, and whatever aid he TRULY needs.

As for the kids, he is NOT ready to parent. I do not CARE what the others say. He needs to care for himself and work hard and care for them. How can he care for them if he cannot even house himself and feed himself?

I dare you to take a week where you do NOT answer the phone to anyone involved in the mess with your adult son. ESP not him. Just do not answer by sending htem to voicemail or picking up the landline and then putting the receiver down with-o saying a single word. If they call over and over? unplug the phone and machine. It is radical, but you have every right to just not answer if you don't want to. I have had to do it to my own bro. He would call and rant and rave to the point where at times he would leave five or more messages on our cell phones where each one took all the time the system allowed. Nonstop garbage about how I am a bad sister, daughter, mother, wife and person and the same about my husband. Never mind that WE are going on twenty years of marriage in Aug, and he was married for maybe 2 and his wife was MARRIED to someone else when they met and got preg and he was so abusive to her teenage sons that he ran them out of the house and now they don't even want to call their mom or see her at xmas. He has had a full time job for maybe four or five years now and is well over forty. Until then he either tried to run a business and was so bad at it that he was used as an example by business professors at the local major university or worked maybe eight mos a year at the forest service and partied the other four mos a year. He lives in a home my parents bought for him and they even pay his utilities because he wouldn't pay on time. But he can tell ME how awful I am? how morally wrong my life is and how I am a horrible awful person with the rudest nastiest kids on the planet - they are total pcs and everyone who spends time with them tells us how polite and sweet they are. Everyone except my bro and sometimes my mom who listens to bro's opinions of me and ends up thinking they are reality because he says the same thing over and over and over until you agree with-him - won't stop until he has "convinced" you.

With help from a therapist and my friends here on the board I cut tiees with him last year. I realized I was putting my sister/daughter hats before my mother and wife/self hats. My daughter has been in therapy for years for things gfgbro did and said to her and times she saw him hit me and hold me down and scream at me (she was little the last time she saw him hit me because I told him if it happened again he would be in the morgue with a big ole Y incision and his organs in plastic baggies and he would never know when it was coming). My youngest had nightmares and begged his uncle to not be mad over and over. The night I realized how bad it was I told him to never come to my home, call or even say hi in public to us. it took some time and the last time he came here to our home he walked in because the door was unlocked. Both kids were watching a movie cuddling iwth me and went into instant panic attacks. So I could not go throw him out - they had death grips on me and were terrified. I told him to leave and if he didn't I was calling 911. It makes me sad that his daughter was there, but he brought her as a shield thinking that it would get me to let him in. He heard me dial the phone but I hadn't hit send on it yet when he RAN out carrying his daughter.

So I do know how hard this is. And how it isn't fun. I don't see my parents often and never on a holiday because my bro is over there all the time (cannot parent his daughter half the week with-o a babysitter at least one of those nights - but I have always been "selfish" if I ask her to babysit once a month!) esp on holidays. I don't like that, but it is there choice to not put boundaries. They also will never make time to do anything with my kids with-o his daughter. I don't mind if the kids spend time with his daughter, just not him. Not ever. And my mom does NOt want to accept it. So that limits our relationship, but that is HER choice.

It isn't easy, but you do NOT deserve the abuse. In fact, this IS abusive behavior on the part of your son and the ohter relatives. PLEASE go to a domestic violence center and ask for their help. What you have gotten from your son and family IS domestic abuse. He was abusive at hte times he lived with you. He iwll NOT kill himself because of anything you do or do nto do. HIS choices would be the cause of any attempt on his life. Frankly, I don't think he would make a real attempt but uses the threat to get you to do what he wants. A domestic violence center can help. So can a therapist - you need BOTH.

I am sending LOTS of hugs and prayers and support. Cut the abusive people OUT of your life. YOU deserve to be HAPPY. PLEASE also see a doctor for some medical help for the depression and other feelings that you have. A reg doctor can get things started, but you also need to see a psychiatrist as they can better judge which types of medications will help you the most.

Star*

call 911........call 911
As to ""Let me come home or I will commit suicide"

Your answer to this should be "If you tell me again you are going to commit suicide? I will hang up the phone and call 911 for you and give them your location. I can't prevent you from killing yourself, but I will get you the help you need if that's what you have your mind set on doing."

Fact: IF he is going to kill himself - He will do it and most likely will NOT tell you.....
Fact: If he is going to kill himself - THERE is NOTHING YOU can do to help him - you are not a health care professional, you can't lock him up, you can't restrain him, YOU can not provide medication to sedate him or give him counseling he needs.
Fact: If he is going to kill himself - HE WILL find a way if he is bent on doing it. Allowing him to manipulate you this time will get his way. Then what? I want a popsicle or I will KILL MYSELF! (get popsicle) I want a Cadillac or I will KILL MYSELF. (what happens now? Can you afford a new Cadillac? No. Ut oh- Son dies?) I mean come on - think about it. I want a new house or I will KILL MYSELF. NOW WHAT? I want you to move out of your own house and pay all my bills or I will KILL MYSELF. (gosh where are YOU going to live?) Think about this statement and the power it holds ----then give it the proper response - CALL 911 - and have him committed. It's not a crutch or a tool. If he gets his way ONCE - then you could be living in a box, paying his bills, buying him a Cadillac and fetching his popsicles.

Don't be naive. If he says he's going to kill himself - Take it seriously - and CALL HIM HELP.

M

mrsammler

Yep. A mention of suicidal ideation or intention merits calling the cops and an involuntary 72-hour psychiatric evaluation in state custody. The next one does too, and the one after that. Let him know, via this experience, that not only does he not get what he wants, but he's taken seriously and he loses freedom for 3 days--every single time. It's a game and a gambit on his part--reduce it to a tiresome, onerous loss of freedom, generated by your compassion and the only viable and useful response to that sort of "threat."

difficult children don't change until they're made so uncomfortable by the consequences of their actions that they *want* to change in order to avoid the discomfort--like the rest of us. We change our behavior because we learn to avoid discomfort and seek comfort/pleasure. Don't stand between them and the discomfort they earn. If they blame us for the discomfort they cause for themselves, tough.

witzend

I'm glad you told him "no", it was the right thing to do. If you are worried that you did the wrong thing, that is something you may want to talk to a therapist about how you feel. Your son has made choices that have 1) left him looking for a place to stay and 2) left you not wanting him to live in your home. You're the homeowner/lessee, and you get to decide who does and does not live in your home. You have a responsibility to your other children and you have lived up to it. You should be proud. To me, the thing that you should be exploring is why you feel badly about making a good decision for your family. It sounds as though you have been bullied in the past, and you aren't quite used to standing up for yourself. Be strong.

Edited to add: Just seeing the stuff about a suicide threat if you don't take him home. He's a real piece of work, isn't he? You've been given good advice on that count. The next time he says it, call 911. A 72 hour hold might be just what he needs to get on the right path. Honestly, quoting the bible at you while threatening suicide sounds like he has some serious issues. The last I heard, God was against it.

Last edited:

burnt out

Hi there thanks again for all the help, there was a misunderstanding my son never said he would commit suicide I was saying how my father did and how I know that always makes me feel like people around me might and those thoughts manipulate me and make me scared to stick with my decisions.
Well I nearly gave into my son, call called me again in tears absolutely desperate. Anyway I felt so stressed even now things have turned out I know I’m not in the best place, I feel so much anxiety...and just generally not good, still laughing but that horrid feeling is there. So I went to the doctor he said Mental Heath wont come out to our town anymore so he is willing to make longer appointments for me. After talking to him the other day I felt so much better, but it’s not enough.
Anyway some good news after I said no again, I called my son back in a few hours he said to me he found a share house with some other guys and he thanked me saying that he thinks this is it where he turns his life around.
Yes well he doesn’t have much choice does he? The house is door down from his church and streets away from my Aunty and Uncles where he has lived before and they do like having my son over, they have a few too many in their house at the moment and couldn’t take him this time.
So it’s all working out well. the two guys he is sharing with are together as a couple, my son didn’t realise till they said where there room was. So it’s a good mix, and no girls.
Thank you all so much I have been popping in daily rereading and gaining strength holding onto the words here. I couldn’t’ have done this without the support of you all.

Star*

call 911........call 911
burnt out -

SO do this - just to see and gain strength and see that you do have friends here that would not give you bad advice. OR just for kicks.

You came here and said you needed strength, because your son was being somewhat of a bully about needing to move back in. Right? Right. He said he had NO WHERE else to go. He also stated that (I think) You always turn him away when he needs you the most, and you felt horrible and desperate about NOT allowing him to move back in with you and your two young children who have issues of their own. You also said that your husband almost caved and was willing to allow him to come home to live with you all: I can only imagine that this is because you were so distraught and upset he didn't know what else to do to help you. I would imagine that you have spent a lot of time in the last week crying, and being upset? Possibly in front of your other children?? (just a guess I do not know) You are telling us you are taking calls from him, and are stressed. Always stressed. Upset, don't know what to do. This is understandable. He's 22 years old with children and blames YOU for ruining his life.

OKAY - NOW - here's the part where the pavement hits the road girl..........

Go back and re-read what each of us has told you - and keep in mind-------we have said it with EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, HOPE, LOVE - and not only YOUR best interest at heart - but YOUR SONS as well. At 22 years old? We've told you things like - He's a man, He should NOT be talking to you disrespectfully, He doesn't need to be living at home disrupting YOUR life, He doesn't need to be making you feel guilty, SHAME on him for doing that, HE will feel BETTER and FEEL WORTH once he's lviing on his own, The only way he'll EVER start doing things for himself is if you STOP doing it for him and it will hurt but you're doing him a favor. - We also said - Stop blaming yourself, Draw boundaries, Hang up the phone, Do not ANSWER the phone, DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO TALK TO YOU IN A MANNER THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL, HE WILL FIGURE IT OUT IF YOU STOP FIGURING IT OUT FOR HIM ......and GET yourself into counseling (or see a doctor )

And your last post today at almost 9:00 - JUST IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And WHO are YOU thanking? LOL - US?????? WHO DID THE WORK??????? Honey - YOU DID THAT!!!!!!!! YOU.....YOU SAID NO......YOU DREW BOUNDARIES!!!! YOU TOLD HIM YOU WOULDN"T ALLOW HIM TO MOVE BACK IN!!!!!! YOU CRIED BUT STOOD FIRM!!!!!!! YOU MADE HIM BE A MAN!!!!!!! YOU MADE HIM FIND A PLACE TO STAY!!!!!! YOU DID ALL THIS ON YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE STARTING TO NOT TAKE ANY OF HIS BALONEY!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL YOU~!!!!!!!!!!! all we did - was made suggestions - and give you support - THAT IS WHAT FRIENDS DO!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I AM SO SO SO SO SO VERY PROUD OF YOU I COULD JUST DANCE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TA DA FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! (wipes a happy tear)

My last point here - is that ALL that stress, all those tears, all that being upset all that crying got you what?????????? NOTHING........THE END RESULT of standing up like a MOmma bear - and drawing your boundaries and saying OH NO YOU WILL NOT MOVE BACK, OH NO YOU WILL NOT UPSET MY HOUSE YOU MAN OF 22 years old, OH YES I AM YOUR MOTHER AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE GOING TO WORK THIS OUT YOURSELF!!!!!!! HAPPENED anyway - and should have - but without all your stress, anxiety and tears..........save tears for happy moments - just remember that when you are stressed because those two kids at home? Are watching EVERYTHING and how you handle every single situation. EVERY THING.

KUDOS TO YOU BURNT OUT! YOU GETS A COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRAVO!

Hugs & LOVE & PEACE IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!!!
Star

HOORAY FOR BURNT OUT!!!!!!!!!!