4 yr old exited from Special Education program, school says does not meet criteria now??

12345TJ44

4 year old son with a provisional Autisim diagnosis given at age 2 from regional center. Had regional center support till age 3 when they send you to the local school district . I just had iep today.I was told my son is too smart. That he does not met criteria for Special Education. No staff reports ever seeing any behavioral issues with him at school ( so they say)Even though even his bus driver has asked me to help her because his behaviors on the bus were making her job hard for her.
They dismissed his teacher a few months ago. There is a new teacher there. I know they were out of compliance on the IEP timing.I refused to sign a waiver.
I know my kid.. he is so smart.. not saying he isnt however...he has many behavior issues that make me worry for his future . Examples would be pinching, pulling hair, extreme rocking.throwing tantrums.not being able to transition etc. These are all interfering with his every day routines.
I refused to sign the IEP as I do not agree. I do want him to be able to attend "normal" school at some point. I just worry that his behavoirs will interfere with him being able to be in a class with lots of kids and not enough support staff to assist in his needs. Can he qualify if he passes their tests? They offered a transitional regular Ed pre school placement.no services would be provided. No IEP nothing. I do Not feel comfortable with that. I left. I need help and advise.What are my rights?? What happens now?

InsaneCdn

Oh Boy. You have your hands full.
I'm Canadian, so... will leave the technical advice to others, as the language you use in your post makes you sound like you're from the US... where very specific laws and rights apply.

SO, all I can do is tell you... welcome to the board.
It can be a bit slow at times - depends on who's difficult child is being challenging tonight (sometimes most of us!), but... people DO answer around here, so hang around, someone will have ideas for you.

BusynMember

You need an advocate who is free and stands up for the child. Call your Dept. of Public, ask for the person in charge of your state's special needs in your state and get the name, call and brainstorm together. Don't do this alone because schools do not, unfortunately, do what is best or the child without a big shove from somebody more potent than Mom and Dad.

buddy

You are absolutely right. An iep is not based on how smart your child is! That's stupid to say, maybe they need testing?

Yes, get an advocate. Also, put your objection in writing so they don't claim implied permission to discontinue the iep.

Yes, you're child will need support in the social and routine/rules/unwritten rules part of school at the least. Behaviors do interfere with school. It often gets much more challenging as time goes on.

Good call not signing off. I hope you can get an advocate!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
My daughter has an overall IQ of 112 and a verbal IQ of 117. I was told repeatedly she's "too smart to be autistic." Believed it myself for a long time, too, as I only knew of classic autism. Guess what? Not only is she an Aspie, but so am I. I tested out with an IQ in the 140s when I was in 2nd grade (not that you can tell now, LOL) and was diagnosis'd at the same time she was (when I was 34). Too smart my patootie. Get an expert in autism to test and an advocate for kid and fight for everything you can get, don't let the school win just because it's easy for them.