A Weight Loss Thread - tips and support welcome!

Lil

What if you were to stop using any kind of sugar, to stop eating any form of starch too, for three weeks, Lil?

Or even, for three days. That is the amount of time it takes for me to stop craving sweets or bread or pasta after the kids have gone home.

I don't crave sugars, or wheat products. In fact, I think the only thing I actually get a craving for is red meat. We eat so much chicken that there are times when I just want STEAK! Maybe occasionally a salad. So I don't think I have an addiction to things like bread, etc...

I just love it.

I love baked goods and pasta. I don't crave them. I could easily go without pasta and not crave it, or bread. But I love it. Add sugar to flour and you have the best stuff ever. Really, deep fry it and I'm in heaven. Seriously, donuts are heaven. LOL!

So no...not a craving/addiction thing. Just my all-time favorite food group. :)

I don't like meat enough to ever do an Atkin's-type diet...and since for me, saturated fat is the enemy, I'll not be living on meat.

I think for now I'll continue to trust my dietician.

Lil

:faint:OMG what was I thinking taking a 1 1/2 mile walk at 90 degrees in the middle of my work day. I'm drenched with sweat! I brought a shirt...but my bra is even soaked. I'm going to be offensive and makeup free the rest of the day. At least it's casual Friday!

nerfherder

After everyone is gone, we don't have those things around and I go through a kind of sugar-craving, starch of any kind craving withdrawal. Once I am through that...I see the bones on my face, again. My eyes are not swollen. I have energy and my mood improves.

Same here. When I quit those foods, I dropped 15 lbs in the first two weeks. It was almost scary. I was doing the CouchTo5K program, and my running endurance and wind went from being measured in paces to blocks, and then quarter miles, very very rapidly. I ran after dark because I felt unhappy running while fat. I was just plain shocked to realize it was possible for me to run a distance without stopping to catch my breath.

I celebrated my 42nd birthday morning with a 5 mile (no stopping) run. I don't run regularly anymore, but I can still run across our back acre without stopping if needed, and so on.

Lil

Word to the wise...As it turns out Regal theaters use coconut oil to pop their popcorn. Coconut oil is 90% saturated fat. Just as a contrast...lard is 40% saturated fat. So...the popcorn I ate at the movie tonight made me exceed my saturated fat content by...oh...300%. o_O

When I put it in My Fitness Pal a little note popped up that said, "This food is high in Fiber!"

Now that's what I call looking on the bright side. :rolleyes:

InsaneCdn

But coconut oil is GOOD for you! (seriously, it is)

It's the usual... it doesn't matter what you cut back on, something else will bite you.

Lil

Not if you have a family history of heart disease and thereby need to watch your saturated fats. In that case, coconut oil and palm oils are the absolute worst. My nutritionist says it's fairly overrated anyway. Olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, the low saturated fat oils, are what she suggested.

everywoman

Lil, I am an old timer here and just mostly lurk, but I wanted you to know that your post has inspired me to get in shape. I am a smoker, and while I am not obese, I am unhappy with my weight because of how I feel physically. I hope to lose 25 lbs by 12/30, which will be my 53rd birthday. At my current weight, I knees kill me. Losing 25 will put me at 130 which is my ideal weight. This morning I got up and walked/jogged 1/4 mile. I came home and started the 30 plank challenge. At noon I rode my bike for a mile. This afternoon I will walk or ride my bike. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lil

How nice! I hope you do great getting in shape @everywoman !

Jabber and I kind of took the weekend off. :p There comes a time when you just have to eat fat. So we had a fat day on Sunday and today we're back to eating healthy.

And on that note, I need to put on my tennis shoes and take a walk.

Onward and downward. :warrior:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Jabber and I kind of took the weekend off. :p There comes a time when you just have to eat fat. So we had a fat day on Sunday and today we're back to eating healthy.

I eat healthy 6 days a week and allow myself 1 day a week to eat whatever I want. Friday is my day. Hubby and I usually go out to dinner and of course that has to be followed by dessert. :bigsmile:

Doing this I don't feel deprived. I know I get that one day. Usually about Wed. I will start to think about what I will get to eat on Friday.
:spaghetti::picnic::morecrackers::icecream:

Then on Saturday and the rest of the week it's back to behaving and exercising.
:exercisebike::jumphappy::treadmill:

Lil

I agree with you Tanya. When Jabber and I lost weight before, we allowed ourselves ONE meal a week, usually Friday night. We usually went to a local Mexican place but you know, after a while, we started sharing a meal and ordering healthier. We still do that occasionally; order one meal and share it.

Looking over my My Fitness Pal records with the dietician, she often remarks that the "average" meets the goal numbers. Somedays I eat over, some under, but on average doing better and that's what she wants to see for the long run.

The fittest people occasionally eat something fattening. You just can't make a habit of it.

SuZir

Around here nutrition scientist like to market this idea that 80 % of the calories you intake should come from healthy stuff. 20 % can come from other stuff. Because the other stuff tends to be high in calories, that isn't so high amount of that other stuff. But still you do not have to decline all of it. And it is definitely average that matters, no need to eat perfect every day.

I have never had weight problems so I probably shouldn't be giving advice, but I have to say I more or less eat like that 80/20. Most of what I eat is healthy though often not that low in calories (I'm very active and consume more than most people my age and size) but I'm definitely not saying no to pastries, candies, chips and bacon either. But when the core of my nutrition is good for me, I get away with treats too.

Californiablonde

Don't feel bad I was so stressed all summer long about going back to work that I completely went off my diet for 2 whole months! I have no idea how much weight I've gained. I am too afraid to step on the scale. I just started back on weight watchers this week and all I know is that my jeans are super tight. I am vsry disappointed in myself. I am going to try my hardest to get back on track. Now I am going to be trying ro lose weight during the holidays and that is going to be quite a challenge!

I obsess over my weight and its so horrrible. Try to not do that, the quality of my life is greatly reduced because of it, just try to do your best, be healthy. Personally, I weigh less than 100 pounds and constantly worry that I'm fat. Do your best each day. I'm in need of help and wish I could take my own advice honestly. We should realize that we're beautiful, no matter our size, because we are.

Lil

Personally, I weigh less than 100 pounds and constantly worry that I'm fat.

Dear, my GOAL WEIGHT is TWO of you! I assure you, you are not fat. :)

As it turns out, I haven't gained. I haven't lost much, but I had lost according to the dietitian's scale. In a few days Jabber and I are on vacation and I'm going to wear a swimsuit and shorts and NOT care what anyone thinks of the fat lady in inappropriate clothes.

Okay...I am agonizing over making sure the swimsuit is one that hides most of the bulges. :p

Enjoy every moment of your vacation. You don't care what anyone else thinks and why should you? Enjoy,live your life, you are beautiful and going to have fun. Good for you and Jabber! I envy your attitude. Others have no say. Believe me, they are only worried how they look.My husband is 3 times my weight and he is so handsomel girls are always looking at him. No one cares how fat he is, its not an issue, it's a made up issue by me.Attitude is everything