A Weight Loss Thread - tips and support welcome!

Californiablonde

Well I went to Walmart for my fruit and they didn't have peaches, plums, or mangoes there either. I did find sliced, no sugar added peaches in the frozen foods section so I bought those. I haven't tried them yet. difficult child had some and says their disgusting, but she is extremely picky about her food. Hopefully they taste good to me. And difficult child's recent trip to the doctor found she gained 15 more pounds in the last three months. She is now working her way towards being 250 pounds. The doctor absolutely insisted I put her on a weight loss program. I am going to have her start doing weight watchers with me. Hopefully she complies. I would hate to see her have really bad health problems due to her weight.

Nomad

Staff member
I live in the Southeast. The mangoes here are fabulous. I think Spring is the main season for them. A really good one is like eating candy. I don't eat them much, I'm often dieting and I suspect they have a lot of calories...but I'm going to double check that. Either way, they are likely healthy and probably not nearly as bad as I think. Really really delicious!!!!

InsaneCdn

I don't eat them much, I'm often dieting and I suspect they have a lot of calories...
Far better to satisfy your sweet tooth with fruit than any other source... at least you are getting fiber, vitamins and minerals along with the "sweet". In moderation... the only fruit I know of that is really high in calories is avocado, because of the fat content.

dstc_99

In weight watchers we are allowed to have unlimited fruit and veggies except avocados, corn, and potatoes.

Try getting Wholly Guacamole and putting it on things like bell peppers. The wholly guacamole comes in small cups or even small ketchup type packets. You get your avocado without the waste of it turning brown on you when you don't eat it all. Plus Avocados have great fat/oils? I cant remember which but they are actually good for you and for your skin.

dstc_99

So far we have done this DASH diet for 2 weeks and both difficult child and I have lost weight. Slow and steady which is good. I need to add in a little excersize to boost mine a bit but other than that I like it. In fact we eat veggies and snack all day.

The thing I love most about it is it is free and everything is allowed. The only thing they do is limit how often you can have it.

Confused

Ok, I really need to catch up! So far I skimmed about Weight watcher, fruits/veggies, office issues with picky staff, Blending own fruits, supplement bad sweets with healthier sweets, calories and dash :) I will have to have time to read it carefully! All great tips!! Sorry if I messed anything.

So of course Im sure exercise has been mentioned, just saying for me I know when Im busier or walking it helps me be less hungry. Working on drinking water, I thought big bottles would be the answer but if you dont like water like me, just ice and 8oz cups will go by quickly!! Lets see, I read diet sodas are just as bad as regular, so Im trying to quit all together- ok, at least one once in a while! Hang in there all, I blew my diet by having some junk food but little soda and no fried foods still better! So Im gonna keep at it, as you all, we all need little splurges or we will completely go wild on junk! Well, me anyways :)

How many times a week should we weigh ourselves? I read once or twice?

Nomad

Staff member
I use My Fitness Pal and like it. I don't use all the features. I think you can go on line with it, etc. tracking is very important. I like the way it tracks not only calories, but nutritition. I'm paying attention to sugars in particular lately. But also noticing things like potassium and sodium. I'm doing my own "thing," really, picking a calorie count and trying to make each meal or snack count with maximum nutrition. When I do this consistently, i do tend to lose and feel better. Not too long ago, I had a bad weekend, but I always try to get back on the wagon again, quickly....the sooner, the better. I definitely do better when I'm tracking and My Fitness Pal (on my phone/APP) is a great help!a long time ago, I read a book that claimed research shows that folks who weigh DAILY do best when dieting. I weigh almost daily. And those in WW who come to the meetings weekly, do better than those who don't and I think the weigh in is part of that. I think weighing provides accountability and information.

pasajes4

I have to watch every last bite of food I eat and everything I drink. I do the dash food plan and it makes my life so much simpler. I am able to keep my weight down and energy levels up. I stand as much as possible and fit moving into my day. I would love to say I am a size 8 or 10, but I am happy with a 12. I was smaller but very unhappy. The person who said nothing tastes as good as skinny feels was a @#$% liar.

Californiablonde

I joined myfitnesspal several years ago when I was 140 pounds (and thought I was fat!) then forgot about it and stopped using it. I have since updated my info and joined back up. I had to change my weight on my profile from 140 to 170, but it is what it is. I am super determined to get this weight off. I have started back on my walking routine every night after work. Unfortunately for now I can only last 20 minutes till I get shortness of breath and can't take it any more. I guess something is better than nothing. I'm confident I will work my way up to 45 minutes, eventually, which is my goal. Still, for the life of me I can't figure out how my good friend, who just lost 140 pounds, was able to work out three hours a day back when she weighed 300 pounds. I am 170 and 20 minutes of fast walking is all I'm good for!

Lil

I did really well logging my food for three days last week. On the 4th day, my husband and I went out to eat...I logged...about a THOUSAND calories too much! After that I just stopped.

But somehow I managed to lost 1.8 lbs.

So I guess I'll try paying attention for a full seven days and see how it goes. :p

Californiablonde

I officially signed back up for Weight Watchers today. I am doing it online this time since I can't afford the weekly meetings. I am determined to do this. My very good friend just lost 140 pounds in one year. If she can lose that much weight, certainly I can lose 45 pounds.

Lil

Well keep in mind, the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off in the beginning. I lost 70 in one year at WW then it took me another year to lose 30. I lost the first 40 in about four or five months.

Californiablonde

In my friend's case she was walking to the gym then spending 2 hours working out, then walking home 5 days a week! I have no idea how a 300 pounder could work out that much without passing out. At my current weight I get out of breath just walking up the stairs to my apartment!

Confused

I have even done the big DONT use two different scales lol! I did! I compared, weighed myself in two /three different areas. I think I was with fitness pal a while back, sad I cant remember. Im going to be doing liquids a while as my acid reflux and teeth are so bad, so I dont know if I can still use that site?

Anyways, good luck to all!!! Remember, only little exercises working your way up!

Nomad

Staff member
Has anyone here gotten advice from a nutritionist p, nurse, doctor or other professional about the percentages of major nutrients that are best when trying to lose, I'm referring to: protein, carbs and fat?? My fitness pal APP allows you to change those percentages to see how you are doing in those areas.

Nomad

Staff member
Hot Tip:

My hairdresser is thin. I asked her for her secrets. She said a couple of times a week, she drinks Dandelion Tea. It is a natural diuretic. Perfect timing. I was feeling bloated, etc. I drank a cup last night and lost a pound overnight! She's thinks that water retention slows weight loss. She drinks lots and lots of water between meals. And again, drinks the tea a few times a week. More than this, might be too hard on your system.