Kptica

My son takes Adderall Xr and it works well from 8-4 but mornings and nights are a nightmare. We just started risperdal for irritability and mood swings(dr thinks possible bipolar too) but havent see any difference yet. I m desperated and frustrated!Should we try a 24 hrs non stimulant or just wait and see? Dont know what to do when he is without his medications.

InsaneCdn

I'm not as familiar with Adderall. I know that Concerta can be pre or post dosed with Ritalin... for example, a small dose on waking, to handle the time intil the Concerta kicks in, and/or a small dose in the late afternoon to cover the evening. And there's something similar with Dexedrine. Would be worth asking whether Adderall has something similar.

How long has he been on the Risperidal? It takes at least 2-3 weeks to see any effect, and even then, only if the dose is high enough... it takes time.

BusynMember

Adderall can cause the moodswings from hell. If he has a mood disorder already, before he started the Adderrall, I personally would not give him any stimulant. It definitely makes your moods swing even worse.

Even my daughter, who is a easy child, and doesn't have mood swings, had mood swings on Vyvanse and then refused to take it. In fact, it made her giddy. Be careful with stimulants.