Alexa/Echo question

Nomad

Staff member
we were given an Alexa for Christmas and love it. Ended up getting a second.
Alexa saves everything you ask it.
If you go to their site, you can see everything you e asked it.
Set a reminder to take my medicine.
What is the weather outside?

And so forth.

This is a lot of memory.aybe it doesn’t mean much in terms of storage/memory. I don't know.

But, why save all this forever?

It seems odd to me.

Any ideas?

Jabberwockey

With the storage capacity of the new hard drives, this type of information takes up a miniscule amount of space. Look at it this way, your favorite song in MP3 format takes up 1 meg per minute. Digital movies range from 1-2 meg for SD and 3 to 5 for HD. Digital books vary from 300k to 1 meg. Think about how many different searches you would have to do to make up even a small novel.

KTMom91

We use Alexa to turn on/off lights and to give the weather forecast. Most of the stuff I ask gets the "Hmm...I don't know that one" or "I'm not sure." She does tell fart jokes (Hubby is delighted) and, after great difficulty, found the seriously cool radio station I discovered while driving through Sacramento.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
We got Google Home for Christmas and cannot figure out how to hook it up to our phones. It just doesn't work!

We do use it for weather, trivia questions etc.

When our youngest is home he will be able to fix it for us. He was always our IT guy.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hubby got a little Alexa thingy. It is a helpful timer for Jess when she cooks. It also plays thunderstorm sounds for Captain so he doesn't yowl when we are gone. So far, that is all we use it for. I will have to tell hubby that it tells fart jokes. He and Tyler will like that.

startingfresh

Funny I was just looking into getting a google home for my son to help him remember to take his medicine! I have one and also can not get it to work with my phone.

Kathy813

Staff member
We have three echo dots and I love them. I use them to tell me the weather, the time (particularly in the middle of the night when I don't want to have to reach to get my phone to see the time), play white noise and other sounds to help me sleep, set a timer and reminders, and add things to a shopping list. The shopping list is my favorite. When I look in the fridge and realize I need something, I just tell Alexa to add it to my shopping list and it is on my phone the next time I go to the grocery store. My husband uses the one in his office to play music.

I am not really sure how the echo dot works but I thought it saved things to the cloud . . . not the actual device so I don't think there would be memory/storage space issues. But I may be completely wrong.

One of the students I tutor said his dad wouldn't let them get one because of privacy issues since it is always listening to hear the trigger word. I asked him if they had I-phones and he said yes so I asked him how it was any different than Siri. The I-phone is always listening for you to say Siri. But I did understand the privacy concerns . . . especially with all of the stuff we are finding out about the misuse of social media.

Nomad

Staff member
Cool.
At this time I don’t know how to do the grocery list, but I will find out!

The other day I asked it to play white noise and it played music from a band called “White Noise.” I see I have work to do. Edit: I just did it correctly!!!

Sari doesn’t really listen all the time. I have to push the center botton and speak “her” name. I can’t just say “sari” without doing that and get any response.

Re Echo. If go to the Alexa app, I can see everything I’ve asked it. I do t know if this is for eternity. Lol!

Last edited:

Kathy813

Staff member
Nomad, I don't have an I-phone so I didn't know you had to press a button to activate Siri. The cool thing about the shopping list is that my husband is also connected to my Alexa account so the list shows up on his phone, too. So when either of us are at the grocery store, we check the shopping list to see if anything has been added. It is also super easy to delete things off the list as you shop.