*And the Oscar goes to...*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Ah, it's one of my favorite evenings of the year.

I haven't done well with seeing the nominated movies but I did go see "Slumdog Millionaire" and it certainly has my vote for Best Picture. Honestly, I was so blown away with the sounds, sites, acting, music, that I couldn't put a coherent sentence together for at least an hour afterwards. All of the children who played the major roles will be at the ceremony. I love that.

Do you think Heath Ledger is a shoo-in?

I heard Kate Winslet is astonishing in "The Reader."

So who/what are your favorites?

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Suz, I haven't seen any of the movies. I'm sorry to say.
I really wanted to see Meryl Streep's movie but haven't made it yet. I love her and hope she wins.
I read that a lot of folks are betting on Heath Ledger.
I do like looking at the dresses but I probably won't watch much of it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've only seen the Batman movie with Heath Ledger. His performance WAS Oscar worthy, in my opinion. But, having not seen any of the other contenders I cannot say whether his was the best. I suspect there's a huge sympathy aspect to his potential win. And perhaps that's rightly so.

I look forward to watching this show, too. It's the only time I care to get sucked into the whole red carpet display. The awards show itself is usually funny, and I get to see clips of movies I haven't yet seen. I wish they didn't rush the acceptance speeches... some years they've been downright rude to the recipients.

I'm hoping husband takes over the kids and lets me hide in our room to watch it uninterrupted tonight!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I've only seen two of the movies up for best picture, "Slum Dog Millionaire" and "The Reader". I thought both were very good movies. I agree Kate Winslet was great in the "The Reader".

I will try to stay up for the awards tonight but generally don't make it the entire time. For husband though who loves and seems to know everything about movies this is a big night. He will watch from start to finish!

N

Nomad

I'm out of the loop (as usual). I read Suz's post to catch up. :redface:
I DID see Slum Dog Millionaire though. Really liked it. Soooo different/unusual. The video was so interesting...story so unique. It really made me think. Can't help but like that in a movie.

I loved The Secret Life of Bees. I loved the book. I cried...also made me think. Is that up for anything?

Wish I had seen The Reader...maybe BB...

husband and I tend to make sure we see the big winners at some point...

Marguerite

husband & I saw "Doubt" (Meryl Streep & Philip Seymour Hoffman) on our wedding anniversary. We loved it, although it's not a film everybody would 'get'. They both did really well in it, if Hoffman wasn't up against Heath Ledger I think he would be a good candidate. However, although I loved both performances, I did feel that it was the script that made it so easy for them. Great script, great production. I think Amy Adams had a much harder job with her role and in fact had to work much harder to make her character look so good. And she did it really well.

I haven't seen Heath Ledger's role this time, I'm not a Batman fan and I find that sort of psychotic violence too upsetting to watch. Maybe that's the answer - he was TOO good, too believable. Such a tragic loss, I've liked Heath Ledger in everything I saw him in, especially "10 Things I Hate About You" (maybe because it wasn't so harrowing). His comedic sense of timing came through in that film, and any actor who can do comedy well usually does drama brilliantly.

As usual I won't be in a position to watch it live (even if it's screening on anything I can get access to - we're not on cable in our house) so the results will be in the news before we get to watch the show. No worries - it cuts through the crud.

What I REALLY wish I could have got to see - Tropfest. That was last night, but we'll just have to wait for the DVD to come out, we usually get a free copy via our newspaper subscription. Gotta be quick - but we LOVE Tropfest, always have even when it was a tiny little film festivalcrammed into the Tropicana Milk Bar to watch it all on a borrowed TV... the things out of work actors & directors get up to can sometimes grow to be huge!

Enjoy the Oscars, folks.

Marg

B

bran155

I have only seen Dark Knight, my husband dragged me. I am not normally into that kind of movie, but it was pretty good and Heath was AMAZING!!! I think he is definitely a shoo in for the Oscar. I kind of think his death adds to the probability of his win, however his performance was Oscar worthy. I have not seen any of the others though.

The only time my butt ends up at the theater there is a giant moose or chicken that talks on the screen! I usually go see the kid movies with my son. My husband likes to go with my son so I don't even get to see all of the animated movies either. That's their thing, they go to the movies a lot. And then my son usually gives my husband a cute smile and they end up at the video game store afterward! Good thing I don't go too often as I would be the voice of reason when my husband is about to drop $100 on games!!!

I will stay up and watch the awards tonight. I love watching the acceptance speeches. They often move me to tears. I have yet to see one that tops Jamie Foxx's speech though. His was definitely a tear jerker.

slsh

member since 1999
I haven't seen a single movie - have to wait for them to come out on DVD.

I did watch the Indie awards last night and *really* want to see "The Frozen River". husband won't watch any movie once it's won an Oscar, on principal (not sure what the principal is anymore, LOL - but... whatever). I do want to seen "Slumdog" and "Doubt" and have to admit I want to see "The Wrestler" as well - as much of a train wreck that Mickey Rourke is (he won at the Indies last night), I've always liked him. Really have no desire to see Pitt's movie, "Benjamin" whatever it is, nor "The Changeling". Definitely want to see Winslet both in "The Reader" and the one with- Decaprio.

I like watching the ceremonies for the dresses and just ... I don't know, I've watched them for years. Living vicariously, I guess. ;)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
There is just so much GLAMOUR at the Oscars. I'd love to be a seat holder (they sit in the empty seats while the stars go to the bathroom or whatever to make the audience look full) at one of these awards shows. I would think I'd died and gone to heaven. It's totally escapist and unrealistic. Ah................. :D

Suz

Nancy

LOL Suz, I'd love to just hang out at the red carpet and watch all the stars come in.

Sad to say I haven't seen any of th emovies either. But I remember how disappointed I was last year when Juno won something and when I finally went to see it I couldn't figure out what all the hype was about. But I do think the quality of movies this year is much higher than in other years. I also remember Little Miss Sunshine being up for an award and I couldn't even sit through that whole movie.

I really really want to see Doubt and The Reader. And after what I've heard about Slumdog Millionaire, it's on my list too.

Nancy

N

Nomad

Working on a project...I'm up early...yawn!
I watched most of the Oscars last night and enjoyed it! Although, I could have told ya that "Slumbdog" was going to walk away with best picture and many other awards and they did.

Nancy...fair warning. I really liked "Slumdog." However, I did find it violent. It was very unusual. The footage in India was amazing...authentic...the real thing. It was fast moving and powerful. It is a thoughtprovoking, different movie and there is a love story. husband and I talked about it for at least an hour afterward!

I forgot...I HAD seen the Benjamin Buton movie and parts of WALLE E! Wow...I was more "with it" than I thought this year! LOL! I enjoyed both of these.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing The Reader and Doubt. What is the name of the M.Streep movie???

Suz...I also thought the Oscars were glamourous...thought they did a very nice job! by the way...seems like you named all the big categories in your original post. You've got a knack for this!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I agree Nomad. I thought the show last night was the best I've seen in so many years, I can't remember when. Hugh Jackman was appealing and talented and quite wonderful.

I loved how they introduced the acting nominees by having old winners talk about them.

Who knew Anne Hathaway had such a beautiful voice?! I sure didn't.

"Slumdog" is certainly not a comedy. I was unprepared for any of it and maybe that's best.

Did it lose in any category? I hope not. It seems to have caught everyone's attention and affection. "The little movie that could."

Suz

Marguerite

We're watching it now - it WAS on live here on free-to-air (middle of the day), but I was at the doctor's so missed it.

Didn't Hugh Jackman do a good job? Down Under we've always known just how multi-talented he is (and a thoroughly nice bloke, too). We're glad you all got to see just some of what he can do. I like the cute "recession theme" of the whole thing and how it's poking fun at it all - it's a very Aussie thing to do, to satirise the one really horrible thing in your life if you are going to have a chance of surviving it. But maybe it's something universal to human nature...

Nomad, the Meryl Streep movie is Doubt. I think you will really enjoy it. Although "enjoy" mightn't be the name for it. I recommend you go see the film with someone who is a good friend, someone you enjoy a good discussion with. Then plan to have coffee afterwards, or a meal, and sit and talk about the film. It will have that effect on you - it gives you so much to think about and talk about. Very deep, but not difficult to understand. Every line, every look, every scene is full of importance and meaning, but not overbearingly so.

There is a really good crop of films this year. I do want to see Benjamin Button. Haven't seen Australia - I do like Baz Luhrmann's work but I think this was over-hyped.
Incidentally, we had a TV medical soapie in Australia in the early 80s, called "A Country Practice". I believe it has been seen in the US in places. Baz Luhrman had a small cameo role in the early episodes, as a really sleazy, dirty pig farmer. It was really funny, his sense of comedy was already evident. Long before he was a director - he would have been barely 20 years old.

THis probably is going to blow over time. I'm enjoying it so far though, I'll have to go to bed while it's still on.

Loads of fun!

Marg

B

bran155

Marg, I agree. Hugh did a fantastic job. Who knew he could dance like that??? I thought the bit with Anne Hathoway was adorable!!

Now I want to see all of the movies. I loved Sean Penn's speech! As always, he is such the humanitarian. Love that about him!!!

I felt bad for Jennifer Anniston who had to come face to face with her enemy!!! She held her own and did a good job though.

I have to say, I was disappointed with the set, at times I thought it was a bit boring.

I am confused though, they didn't include Heath Ledger during the memorial. Did he die that long ago? Was he in last years memorial? I thought he died in 2008???

Nancy

I agree that was the best show I've ever seen. Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job and is very talented. I wasn't bored one bit like in previous years. He has brought new life into the Oscars.

Now referring to my notes from last night (I always keep paper and pen at hand since I can't remember much the next day lol).

I thought we were going to see a wardrobe malfunction with both Goldie Hawn and Sara Jessica Parker. I like both these ladies very much but felt their dress was just not becoming (actually Sara's dress was beautiful but I kept expecting her to pop out of the top). Seems like muted colors were the choice last night, perhaps because of the economy but even Meryl Streep's dress seemed blah.

on the other hand I thought Alicia Keyes's dress was absolutely stunning, perfect color, her hair, make-up and jewelry were all perfect and very tasteful.

I have not seen Doubt yet but at least in the area where we live, sexual abuse by the clergy is very big. It happened way too often and was swept under the rug and covered up for decades. We are still suffering the effects of this era and there are many priests who have been relieved from their positions. So from that standpoint I think the movie will be very well understood and accepted.

I was a bit disapppointed that Slumdog won everything. Hopefully when I finally see it I will understand why.

Nancy

Last edited:
B

bran155

Nancy, I was thinking the same thing about Goldie Hawn. I was waiting for a boob to pop out!!! :)

trinityroyal

I thought we were going to see a wardrobe malfunction with both Goldie Hawn and Sara Jessica Parker.

Double-sided tape.

Well, not quite, but similar. There is a sticky tape-like substance that you can apply, which keeps low cut gowns exactly where they're supposed to be. Looking daring but still providing all the required...erm...coverage.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nancy, after all this hype and talk you will probably be disappointed in Slumdog. There are very few movies I see after the fact that live up to my expectations after people swoon about it....ET and The Sixth Sense and Titanic lived up to my expectations but most do not.

Suz

Nancy

Ah yes I forgot, Jessica Beil looked like she was wrapped in a satin tablecloth. And Whoopie....I love that woman, but the tatoo and her black bra peeking out of that print was just too much.

Nancy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I wanted to see all of the top nominated movies, but no one will go with me to see those types of movies. I even rented "Dark Knight" from Netflix, but then never watched it after I read some of the reviews. I wanted to remember Heath Ledger as the sweetie-pie I remember and not the psycho. I just finished reading The Reader, but I think I may go off to see that one by myself one afternoon this week as no one will go with me. Wah. I also want to see Rachel Getting Married but that is playing only at a city theater and I try to avoid the city. Oh well, I guess I will keep my Netflix account and add them.

I mostly love watching the awards shows for the outfits.