Another success story -- from me believe it or not

Sheila

The old timers on the board likely remember some of the knock down drag outs we’ve had with XISD over the last 6 years. For the newcomers, suffice it to say that it’s been a long, difficult and sometimes very, very ugly battle. I could literally write a book on all the blatant non-compliance with IDEA and the adverse impact it had on difficult child in a number of ways.

It wasn’t until this time last year that difficult child was deemed eligible for an IEP by XISD. difficult child started 6th grade with-the IEP in place. It was followed. It made all the difference in the world for difficult child – mentally and academically.

I don’t know what next year will bring; difficult child will be moving on to Jr. High School. But I’ll mark this year down as a success story. I couldn’t have asked for a better team for difficult child.

I carried my IEP Parent Attachment to the meeting with me. I’m pleased to report that I didn’t need it except as a discrete check list/reminder for myself. lol

Credit given where credit is due:

Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:38 PM
To: XISD School Board President
Cc: Ms. Principal; Ms. XISD Special Education Director
Subject: difficult child

Dear Mr. School Board President:

I wanted to update you on difficult child’s progress.

Ms. Principal and/or Ms. XISD Special Education Director put together a super team for difficult child for the 2005-2006, 6th Grade year. As a result, he had the best school year ever.

difficult child hit a couple of snags emotionally during the year, but his team hung in there with us and kept on doing what they needed to do. Because of this, a major episode did not occur and difficult child was able to quickly recover his footing.

The intensive language therapy provided by XISD this year addressed the language disorders that are interfering with reading comprehension, and for the first time EVER, he passed the Reading TAKS on the first try.

We had difficult child’s annual IEP meeting yesterday at XYZ Intermediate. It was attended by Ms. Principal; difficult child’s 6th grade teachers, Ms. Language Arts, Ms. Math, and Mr. Science; Ms. Diagnostician; Ms. Inclusion Teacher and Coach; and Ms. Jr. High Sp Ed Coordinator. It was wonderful to see them interacting with each other regarding difficult child, sharing information about what worked and what didn’t, objectively discussing his strengths and weaknesses, etc.

difficult child is struggling a bit with Math. I didn’t have to say a word. This was put on the table for discussion together with IEP recommendations by XISD Committee Members.

I felt that their concern for difficult child’s education was genuine. I was pleased with their ethics and professionalism. Actually, I can’t say enough good things about the Committee Members.

I know there were more educators involved in difficult child’s 6th grade school year than named above. Three others that I know specifically that also had a huge positive impact were Ms. Asst. Principal; Ms. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)#1; and Ms. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)#2. I have no doubt that there are more -- both the visible hands-on educators and those not so visible to parents or student.

Please extend our heartfelt appreciation to each and every one.

Sincerely,

Sheila

----- Original Message -----
To: Mom
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:44 PM
Subject: RE: difficult child

Sheila, I was thrilled to hear about difficult child’s TAKS reading scores! Ms. Principal and I visit frequently about difficult child and I have kept up with his progress throughout the year through Ms. Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)#1. Thank you for the kind words to Mr. XISD Board President about Special Education and our efforts with difficult child. I’m glad he had a good year and we’ll do everything we can to see that that continues.

XISD Sp Ed Director

busywend

You so rock! I am so glad difficult child had a better school experience this year - I think that will go a long way for him.

Nice that you sent them their compliments when deserved.

Janna

Really great, Sheila

So nice when everyone's in your court and working cooperatively.

Congrats :D

kris

sheila, i can't tell you what a thrill it was to read your post. i know just how long & arduous this battle has been.

the letter was excellent as usual & not a single i told you so in it :D
kris