%*&*^$%#@! Antibiotics!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole just took a pregnancy test.

It came up postive.

**insert appropriate cuss words here**:mad:

She hasn't missed a single pill. I'm guessing the 2 rounds with antibiotics for her kidneys weakened the pill's effectiveness..................

It's not that she isn't a good Mom. It isn't that I mind having another grandchild to spoil. But like easy child said to her........OMG! You're having another child with HIM??!!!

Maybe I'll get super lucky and boyfriend will make a mad dash for the hills. easy child and sister in law are thinking the same thing. ugh!

I haven't a clue where she is going to put this baby after it's born. Her apartment is teeny like a huge closet. :tongue:

Oh, boy! *sigh*

flutterby

Fly away!
Don't shoot me....

They generally let women who are on the pill know that antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control and to use a condom during that time. Just speaking from experience there. She mentioned not so long ago that she wanted another baby. Is it possible that this was an accidentally on purpose kinda thing?

In any case, I'm sorry. She does not need this right now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oy! I am sorry to hear this, but I also wonder about the "accidently on purpose" issue. She might have to get another, bigger apt, too. A lot of towns have laws on occupancy related to available square footage. That's another worry.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I thought about the accidentally on purpose angle myself.......But I can't be sure. She had seemed solid in her decision to wait. So who knows? But I do know that boyfriend is totally against using condoms.........which of course is how Aubrey came about. Regardless, this just isn't a very good time. Nichole just got put back onto her normal 10 hr shift at work. And is enrolled in classes for next quarter. The apartment is horribly small. And boyfriend refuses to work at the moment. (although his unemployment is running out fast)

Babies are supposed to be happy events. sigh

She's retesting in the morning to be certain. easy child and I are both hoping she's not while knowing the result she got was probably accurate. Like easy child said, "Five steps forward and ten steps back"

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's a shame Nichole doesn't have the backbone to tell boyfriend that if he wants nookie, he's got to wrap it--PERIOD. Of course, she's too involved with deadbeat daddy-o to kick him to the curb over the work refusal issue.

Don't get me wrong; it's hard to find work, especially if you've been unemployed for a long while and/or have no useless skills, but this guy was a deadbeat before the current recession/depression.

N

Nomad

I'm so sorry. Don't know all the details (due to coming her sporadically, etc.) but it sounds like there are major concerns.

I DO recall talking about this once with the gynocologist and it wasn't about bc pills but about the depo provera shot. She said that the antibiotics might influence if taken on the first day of the shot or something like that and for a short time. She said with- reference to the shot, their influence was very limited. Perhaps the shot would be a better choice for future reference.

I KNOW it is a very touchy subject for a variety of reasons, but I do wish that folks would consider all the alternatives open to them.

Good thoughts headed your way for your entire family.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
GN that's why the family is so disappointed with the news of her pregnancy. This may keep her with boyfriend when she had just stepped onto the line of breaking free. I don't think all is well in "paradise" as Nichole herself was hoping the result would be neg. And still hoping it would be this morning. I haven't heard how this morning's test turned out, nor about boyfriend's reaction to the result. I know as of last night at near midnight or so she still hadn't told him.

Nomad Nichole switched from the shot to the pill because she couldn't handle the way the shot made her feel. She took the shot since Aubrey was born....and it just never did mix well with her body chemistry. She tried the IUD, but the darn thing was placed improperly and fell out on her and she didn't want to risk it again. But darn it I wish she'd have made him use a condom.

My biggest concern is the way boyfriend treated her throughout Aubrey's pregnancy. OMG that entire 9 months was a nitemare. boyfriend made her life a living h*ll with first demanding she abort, then adoption, then making her suffer for deciding to keep Aubrey. He baited and goaded her relentlessly. Nichole is older now.......but those pregnancy hormones will still make you react when you probably wouldn't normally. He had her on the brink of losing her mind last time..........I so don't want to see her back at that point again.

And that, I'm afraid, is exactly what I'm dreading.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Argh. As you know I'm in the middle of this right now, with Youngest pregnant with her 2nd. She most definitely was "accidentally on purpose." BIG HUGS.

Daisylover, I feel for you. Although (grand)babies are the best of all blessings, the circumstances and life situations do matter and bring such cause for concern. I know it all to well.

My difficult child has had 4 "surprise" pregnancies. The first on the pill at 17 (baby born when she was 18), I personally watched her take it every morning. Who knows what happened. The second one came along while she was still in a bad, bad marriage to baby #1's daddy. She was on the depo shot at the time. Seems she "lost track of" when to go back for her next injection and was a couple weeks late going in. They did the test prior to the injection at the doctors office as protocol. Instead of the depo shot, she got her new baby care/coupon kit.

The third pregnancy (with current husband), she had been on antibiotics. After baby # 3 was born she had a tubal. I was so happy and releived to not have to worry about her having more children in the chaos that has been her life. I took her for the procedure, cared for the children while she recovered as well as paid the coinsurance/deductable, and happy to do it.

Nine months later we got the shock of our lives and a positive pregnancy test and baby #4 on the way. He's a year old now.

She has had a complete hysterectomy now. I think we are finally safe, on this issue anyway.

I so understand where you are right now. I hope the best for you all.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Retest was suppposedly neg. Now easy child and I are hounding her to get a blood test. False negs are fairly common........false pos results are pretty darn rare. She's agreed to the blood test if she doesn't start soon.

KTMom91

Wow...I'm so sorry. Hoping Nichole can break away from boyfriend and his toxic antics whether or not she's pregnant.