Anyone try a vegan/plant based Diet?

BusynMember

If so, what do you mainly eat, how do you feel and does it cause any errrrrrr bathroom issues? What can you eat...anyone know where a list is posted? Any g9d smoothies that dont require lots of chopping things up?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lil

Jabber actually owns a shirt with a cow on it that says, "HA HA Vegetarians. My food poops on your food." :p There's very little chance of us EVER going to a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle. :roflmao:

I do hope you get answers to your questions though. It would certainly do us a world of good to eat more veggies. :rolleyes:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I've been on a "Plant based, whole foods" regime for quite a while now. My particular system is very sensitive to food so this program works well for me. The documentary Forks over knives supported the change for me. You can go on the Forks over knives website for recipes as well as doing a search on the allrecipes website for vegetarian or vegan recipes. For my husband and I the health benefits have been extraordinary.

We let go of sugar, dairy, gluten, meat and eggs and eat mostly vegetables, salads, fruits, beans and ancient grains. Our bodies changed dramatically because it wasn't just weight loss...... the lack of those foods which create inflammation, like sugar, gluten and dairy made our bodies shrink down to what they were like when we were much younger.....lean and strong. But it helped so much more than just weight loss, it improved our health in many, many positive ways. I've been a bit of a "health nut" all of my life and have gone in and out of being vegetarian, vegan, etc, but the Forks over knives program is the best I've tried.

Yes, we both feel wonderful. No "bathroom issues." No issues at all......just optimal health.

Have fun with it SWOT!

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
We have both vegans and vegetarians in our extended family. Veganism gets very difficult.

I personally tend to gain weight if I cut back too much in meat. I can cut back a little with no problem and often do. I suspect my body needs/prefers a protein intake on the high side.

Nomad

Staff member
Side note: I’ve eliminated sugar and flour. Probably gluten too (no flour)
Greatly reduced dairy.

Slightly reduced meat.

Slightly increased fruit.
Greatly increased vegetables.

Feeling better :)

Last edited:

BusynMember

Thanks, Nomad.

I dont have sugar hardly at all and rarely eat meat. I try to eat healthy.

High protein diets with almost no carbs...its hard for me to believe that long term this is good for the body. Plus I have a tremendous love of animals and feel kind of guilty eating meat. The more I fall in love with animals, the less meat tastes good.

I am going to try Forks Not Knives. I can always eat almond yogurt in place of Greek :)

Nomad

Staff member
We are all different.

Many people do extraordinarily well on a vegan or vegetarian diet.

I did like the movie Forks over Knives.

Surely it created many vegans or vegetarians.

I think that’s the movie that got me started on juicing. I do eat a ton of plants now and/or juice daily.

Good luck with your dieting modifications.

PS I don’t consider my personal diet high protein/low carb. I eat a very high amount of veggies and also eat potato and fruit. Loving bananas currently.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Nomad, no no. I did not mean you. I was just talking in general. From what I know (I am not a nutritionist) your diet sounds very healthy.

BusynMember

Nomad, no no. I did not mean you. I was just talking in general. From what I know (I am not a nutritionist) your diet sounds very healthy.