Anyone Who Could, Prayers Appreciated

susiestar

Roll With It
She is much better today. My dad is on top of her medications. She is somewhat leery of PT, and esp of PT here in our town. Let me explain why.

All of this started with bursitis in her hip joint. She was sent for PT. She went and did EXACTLY what the therapist told her to. They raved about how compliant she was. She complained about how much it hurt as she did the therapy. This was done at "the best" therapy place, the one run by our local hospital. Turns out that the physical therapy for her bursitis is exactly what destroyed her hip.

Her doctor is FURIOUS that the therapist never contacted him that she was having pain with the exercises. She complained about it every time, but was told 'no pain, no gain'. It is an hour and a half drive to her doctor's office to do therapy there and she needs therapy 3x per week. So that isn't really doable. I have suggested another place here in town that we are liking for therapy, but I don't know if she what she will do. Some will depend on her doctor's recommendation.

She has a walk in shower at her home. At this point they don't want her to soak at all, so a tub is out of the question. She thought about having a walk in tub put in when she redid her bathroom, but with the shower she thought it would be okay for any times when she or dad couldn't get into the tub.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It might be easier for her, as healing progresses, if she gets an adjustable shower seat.

My mother can't take baths anymore, and is afraid of falling in the shower, so she uses a shower seat.

I can't take baths because it's a huge production for me to get up in the tub, and very painful. I take showers as well.

Another thing, if she doesn't have a high profile toilet, is a raised toilet seat to attach to the regular seat. That may make it easier for her to get up and down.

I have done PT on and off for many years. Both to recover from surgery/injuries, and to help with chronic problems. I did experience pain at times, but if I expressed pain, exercises were reduced in intensity or changed.

At your mother's age and likely physical condition, she should not be put through serious pain during PT. She needs a therapist experienced with-working with geriatric patients.

Last year, I went through PT for my back, and I feel it was rushed. Not only that, I feel it made my back worse, not better. A year later I am still experiencing issues with my back and neck that I attribute to the PT.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think the experience of the PT makes a huge difference. As well as how well that PT listens to the patient. Some don't listen worth a darn.

I have a cousin who is a really good PT but she is up in Minnesota. She is all full of ideas for what Mom should look for and do, but you can only do so much long distance. She was really furious when she realized that a few months of physical therapy destroyed my mom's hips, esp when my mom's bone density is really really good.

Copabanana

Susie. I did physical therapy for a while. I have cervical spine issues. The gist of each session was heat: (I bought the apparatus myself), simple exercise first, without equipment and then when I built up capacity, simple gym exercise (on stationary bike, with rubber ball, and the lat pull down, I think.

Then the PT gave me a 5 minute massage, and then there was the electrostimulation. (I bought that machine too.)

I have yet to set up my home treatment. But I am wondering if a visiting PT could come to your mother's house for a dozen sessions to help her set up a home treatment program.

I do not know your Mom's age but for my own mother medicare paid for a PT to come to the house. It was included in home nursing services after she was discharged from either rehab or the hospital. Perhaps that is the key variable: it is discharge contingent.

Maybe you and she could contact the "good" PT out of town and ask for suggestions given the circumstances. Maybe somebody there would be available as a consultant or have some other ideas that would be helpful.

I am sorry your mother is suffering.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thank you for the ideas. I truly appreciate them and will pass them on. I am sure my father will push her into doing whatever she truly needs to do.