Autism- ?? from a newbie

Toddvg

My 2 year old has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), my wife and I are starting a tutoring program using the Denver Model and he also goes to Occupational Therapist (OT), Speech and a social tutor each once a week.

My question to you all is, " Could the Autism be masking a physical issue? We were told he could be allergic to Cows Milk, soy, and now Gluten.. He has always had Stomach issues, along with waking up in the middle of the night screaming (not every night) less as he has gotten older.

I am not a father that is saying "no way not my boy", I just concerned that he might have an issue that has slowed his growing mentally ,

T

TeDo

If you're concerned that might be the issue, look into a diet that eliminates those things for awhile. If things get drastically better, it was 100% those things. If not a complete 180, so to speak, then the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is there but is complicated by the dietary. If there is no change whatsoever, the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is there and there are no allergies. Sometimes it is truly a process of elimination.

You've come to the right place with this question. Just out of curiosity, who diagnosed the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)? What were the issues that led to that diagnosis?

Welcome to our little corner of the world. I hope you'll stick around.

L

Liahona

I have found, having 3 Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) boys and 1 Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) husband, that autism is a physical issue. Their brains are literally wired differently. In some of my Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) people their intestines are different. I get a stomach bug I'm over it in 3 days. husband gets one and he has it for 2 weeks. difficult child 2 is somewhere in the middle with tummy bugs. Sleep is another physical problem. husband and difficult child 2 don't make enough melatonin to get to sleep. husband is worse than difficult child 2. They also both get migraines. They are sensitive to light and sound. The sound of someone chewing can send difficult child 1 over the edge. There are also other issues that are compounded because the kid doesn't react like other kids. difficult child 1 would have awful ear infections but didn't respond to pain like other kids so didn't get taken to the dr. difficult child 3 has JRA but won't ask for medications when hurt.

If you post in general or early childhood you might get more responses. This forum is mostly for legal questions.

Good luck and welcome

keista

Welcome! Yes, kids who are allergic to gluten or casein can look as if they are autistic. Similar symptoms. Going gluten and/or dairy free can be difficult, but if you're willing to give it a go, I've never heard anything negative or any cautions about trying that out.
I just concerned that he might have an issue that has slowed his growing mentally
Please be assured that Autism does not mean that your son's mental growth has slowed. Some autistics are actually quite intelligent. My two oldest are diagnosed with Asperger's and scored above average on their IQ tests. I actually think their scores would be higher if they were given written evaluations. Giving an oral IQ test to kids who are deficient at social skills and havie some auditory processing issues, isn't the best option.

buddy

I agree, could be compounding the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) issues. Though I have heard of some severe cases (like celiacs that is so severe that a child gets almost no nutrition absorbed from food, of course they can start to look very delayed, or autistic or seizures can happen etc..., in general those that benefit from a gluten-free, casein-free diet tend to not say that all the symptoms are gone but that certain things are better. Many times it takes a little of this and a little of that and some of this and some of that to get our kids into a place where we can help them. My son was diagnosed very early too. The great thing about that is just what you are doing...lots of early intervention.

One great thing is your guy is so young playing with nutrition is not as much the battle it can be when older. I told my son one time we had to eliminate something for a while and you would have thought the world ended. I could have done it easily when he was little. He was pretty limited in what he ate then anyway.

Anyway, why not try it and check it out??? Let us know how it goes!

Toddvg

I do agree, we have done our best to take everything out of his Diet, some improvement even would say leaps forward.

Problem is, his improvement coming from change in diet, Occupational Therapist (OT) an hour a week, Speech 2 hours a week, my wife and I working with him, or maybe he is just getting older?

buddy

I do agree, we have done our best to take everything out of his Diet, some improvement even would say leaps forward.

Problem is, his improvement coming from change in diet, Occupational Therapist (OT) an hour a week, Speech 2 hours a week, my wife and I working with him, or maybe he is just getting older?

Especially when young and just getting started, but also when they go thru a crisis and you have to make some drastic changes....that problem will be with you a lot. In general when things are just moving along it is nice to make one change at a time, then you can see the changes/impacts on learning and behaviors better. But yes, it probably IS a combination of things that makes changes. Both for the good and the bad. All we can do is our best.

One thing I noticed when my son was smaller was if he was making improvement in language/communication he then had more behavior issues, when growing his language would halt a little. Just like with babies, when gross motor is improving...talking can take a back seat and and when starting to talk they may not walk, climb etc. as much. Just fyi if you happen to ever notice this, other parents have shared the same and at the time we were worried about regression then suddenly saw this burst of skills.

When you mention Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech....of those things the thing I am sure is the biggest ticket is your wife and you working with him. Putting on my Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) hat, I can say honestly that what we do sets the stage and provides ideas and tracks progress....but if not practiced in real life, that short amount of time is not enough to make the big changes....it has to be carried through. I never understood how anyone didn't work with parents esp. when working with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kiddos. As a parent, we had swings set up, we have weighted blankets, lotion, other sensory integration items. I had a sensory table and we practiced different food textures etc. Of course we worked on speech and language at home too...... I bet your doing the work with your son is what is making the biggest impact!