Autism Treatment...need ideas

rajeja

I am going to try and make this short. We are looking at a possible aspergers/functional autism diagnosis for my difficult child. The DR has already told us that insurance doesn't cover treatment and that it is going to cost $75,000! I have no idea where we are going to get this kind of money. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts for me to explore? I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be given.
Thanks!

SunnyFlorida

See if you have a 211 site in your area and look for an autism center. Also, you can call the nearest university medical center and ask them about autism centers.

bigblueagain

it is true that most insurance does not cover Asperger's/autism as they are considered developmental disabilities, not true medical diagnoses. I would also recommend you look into your local school system. There is now now a federal law no child left behind, that mandates the school systems to actually seek out children with disabilities and provide evaluations and therapies once a child is three. The idea of a university setting is also excellent. BLUE

O

OTE

Sorry I've been away. I've been down this road. Presumably you have been recommended to do an at home ABA program. Mine is 9 now so I've been doing all kinds of therapy for 7 years now. Have to tell you that for a high functioning kid I'm not convinced that advice is best. Certainly when it's going to banktrupt the family it's not at all.

At age 3 your child qualifies for a school autism program funded by your local SD. It should be a full day program. It is my experience that a good full day program is better than a home program. But note that I said GOOD program. My advice would be to put your effort into finding the best program in your area. I vaguely recall that a program opened in your area in the last couple of years that looked like it had good propects. So I'm certain you CAN find a good program in your area.

The second key to your child's long term prognosis in my humble opinion- and wish someone had given me this advice years ago- learn everything you can about autism/ aspergers. NOT about ABA. I have nothing against ABA it just did a fraction of the good for my child that Miller Method did. So in my humble opinion the key is you as a parent tuning into your child and how your child thinks. RATHER than forcing your child into doing something that does not come naturally to him/her and is going to take years for the child to "get". Those are wasted years.