Bipolar and IDEA/IEP

SassyGirl

There's a great article about how the ED (emotionally disturbed) classification does BiPolar (BP) kids a disfavor and they should be classified OHI (other health impared)

Hugs,
SassyGirl

Love my sons

Sassy,

As Alisha already said, EXCELLENT INFO.
I also want to thank you for this article.

We only had the "ED" classification for young difficult child. :( AND...sadly, my family and I were in such emotional turmoil that making proper school decisions did not happen at an opportune time in young difficult child's educational experience.

I have printed this article and it only UNDERSCORES the fact that young difficult child can never go back into our public school system in our district as our district will first require him to do almost 90 days of "time" in jail school before they will let him back into the regular classroom.
He never even did anything VIOLENT to anyone. He only made a mess of the bathroom and had attitude and persistant misbehavior...difficulty in helping him "turn it around".
He was not a THREAT to anyone...and yet he was treated like a criminal.

We will never put him back into "regular school" again...it is not SAFE for HIM there. :(

Thanks again!!! There are SO many characteristics and examples that fit young difficult child to a TEE in this article regarding Bipolar symptoms of behavior. It's pretty remarkable!!!
LMS

wincha

“Emotionally Disturbed means a condition exhibiting one or more of the following characteristics over a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects a child's educational performance:
(a) An inability to learn that cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory, or health factors
(b) An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers and teachers
(c) Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances
(d) A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression
(e) A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.
My son had all of these and will again if he is not in his theraputic school and on the right medications. The ED diagnosis fits my son.