Bizarro hair color... I am a poster child for...

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG....I have a hair appointment on Wednesday for a trim and highlight...this thread is making me very nervous...if the pattern continues I might end up with an orange pixie haircut!

Suz

You might be the next cougar!

Abbey

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Do cougar's have orange pixies? :rofl:

I'm about 20 years too old to be the modern day cougar... :9-07tears:
Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, he FINALLY noticed. About 16 hours and 30 minutes after I walked into the room after getting dressed from the shower where I rinsed out the goop in my hair!!!

He walked by me this morning as we were getting ready to leave for an outing, scowled and said, "Your hair looks really orange today." :hammer:

Naturally, I congratulated him on his perceptive skills. :tongue: NOT! "Really? I can't imagine WHY! Are you sure you're seeing things clearly, dear?" :devil:

But I did explain the hows and whys of what happened, and then we ALL had another good laugh. :D

Oh well. It's just hair. I'll give it a few extra dozen shampoos this week and hopefully it will fade soon so I can start all over again, this time with something that has a bit more coverage in the DESIRED shade! :angel3:

I really like Star's idea for the beauty college. There are several around here, so I might check into that to see if it's affordable.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm sitting here chuckling (okay laughing out right, sorry). :rofl:
:jack: So is it pumpkin orange? Halloween is coming up:winks::stalker:

I just had my hair cut - my stylist noted how the silver was coming in framing my face. Didn't try to talk me into coloring it; rather gave me suggestions on adjusting my makeup tones.

I used to color my hair a beautiful auburn (my mother's hair color & I carried it well - I stopped for the same economic reasons.) I only did my hair at home once & regretted it. If I can't pay I stay (gray that is) :lady:& wear big hats.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
by the way, I found a well hidden affordable secret - JC Penney has wonderful stylists in their salons & the cuts/styles/coloring are pretty affordable. Both kt & I had our hair styled for $70. Of course with tip it was a bit more.

Marg, the blue shampoo does what to gray hair? My is a beautiful silver as it's coming in but.....

donna723

I still color mine myself because I just can't afford to pay to have it done. I started coloring it when it started coming in the ugliest shade of steel gray imaginable. And it came in right on the top and hung down the back like a skunk stripe. It's almost white now! I did go a shade lighter and I'm going to try one more shade. My stylist said to get one shade lighter and just do the roots each time, meanwhile the rest would fade a bit and it would blend. I was afraid it would be noticable but really it's not. And over the course of several months, it is actually quite a bit lighter. But I still have the black eyebrows that went with my naturally very dark brown hair, so if I go too light, it will look weird!

Marguerite

The blue shampoo is supposed to make sure the hair looks silver and not at all brassy. Sometimes even naturally grey hair will still have the faint remnant of the original natural colour, and the last pigment to go is the reddish one.

it's like the old travel poster on the wall that's been there too long and lost some of its colour. Some pigments fade before others, so the poster looks odd. Sometimes the blue shades are what is left; sometimes it's the red. With posters, usually it's the blue shades left because chemically the redder colours are less chemically stable, and so break down faster than the blue.

With hair, it's the other way around.

So if you're in the early stages of grey and also happen to notice the orangey faded look mixed in with your grey, you can use the blue shampoo and it will tone it down a bit.

For hair that is full grey, this helps it look an even more beautiful silver.

With my sister's bleached hair back in the 70s, Magic Silver White was what she used. It came in a small bottle that required you to put a few drops in a jug of warm water, then pour it through your hair. A lot of "blue rinse" ladies used to use it. If you're at all familiar with the Aussie character of Dame Edna (was on Ally McBeal for a while), the inventor of that character has Dame Edna with a characteristic blue hair, a memory from that era. Dame Edna often comes out with lines such as, "It's not blue, it's Wisteria!"
The instructions for the little old lady blue rinse effect was to put in about 10 drops. My sister used about 3 drops. It was just enough to take out the orange effect, but without turning her hair blue.

I use the blue shampoos all the time now. My hair is still orangey, but nowhere near as bad. It looks much more natural these days.

I'm making an appointment to see my hairdresser in the next week or so, I need to talk to her about what to do with my hair for the next (and last, for at least a few years!) wedding. I was trying on dresses today (for the mother of the bride) and my hair looks really washed out, compared to the lovely dresses I tried.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks Marg - my hair is coming in a beautiful silver, almost white. I think that's why stylist didn't suggest coloring. She commented on how pretty it's coming in.

I just want it to stay pretty.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In the USA, "blue shampoo" is sold under various names including "silver" in them.

Blue shampoo basically cools off the color of gray/silver hair, so if your grey/silver is dull or dingy, they can help.

I first encountered these types of shampoos used on gray or white animals--anywhere you don't want yellowing.

I still only have a few strands of white here and there, but we don't go very gray in my family.

My mother is in her seventies and is still "salt and pepper" mixed with faded red.

husband was completely gray by the time he hit his early 30's. I can't remember the name of the product he used, but it was a shampoo and conditioner for gray hair that was only available in "Beauty Supply Shops".

Sally's is the best known chain. Ulta also has a decent selection

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I keep getting double takes on the light blonde. I'm doing something about it. Probably tonight. I'm going to do maybe cherry red stripes. Just to be weird. I figure why not... It's awful now... What could be worse? At least the orange is gone. And I happen to have the cherry red color that I have on the bottom half of my hair... Never used the second package.

Wow. What IS it about us?!

flutterby

Fly away!
Just take it easy with the blue shampoo. It can leave a blue hue to your hair. I would ask your stylist if it's a product you should use. It was used a lot when my mom did hair, but I don't think it's used as much anymore with all the different products that are available.

Marguerite

With the blue stuff, it IS easy to overdo it, with the old product. I don't think it's available any more, I haven't seen it for years and years. My sister deliberately used far less in order to take out the brassiness without turning hair blue. We could never work out why so many people CHOSE to have blue hair!

The new shampoo - I've only used one brand so far, but the hairdresser was happy that it wasn't sending my hair blue. In fact it still wasn't quite enough, she said, but that's because my hair is so resistant to keeping the orange colours.

Like anything, you use it in moderation. Go carefully and modify how you do it if you need to.

Marg

DammitJanet

Both my mom and I have this washwater color gray. Ugly. Tony, on the other hand, has a really pretty silver gray. If my gray was his color gray, I would leave it alone. His gray shines. The only part that really takes a beating is the very back of his head where it is out in the sun constantly so I think the sun burns it too much. Most of the time the rest of his hair is covered with a ball cap so it is safe from the sun.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I just got back from the grocery store and I bought a box of this color removal product called "Oops" :D It's supposed to be safe for permanent and semi-permanent hair color... I'm not sure though about using it on my hair since it was already color treated BEFORE my oops.

AND I bought a box of dark brown permanent hair color that says it will work on the mish-mash color that I have now.

I have to chuckle because I HAVE gotten a few second looks by people in the store today... nobody said anything, but I was giggling to myself thinking they must wonder if I'm nuts to have my hair this way! :tongue: difficult child 2 thinks it looks nice and I should just leave it alone. :rofl: He just loves his momma no matter what!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
He just loves his momma no matter what!

What a sweetheart. I want to give him a big hug!

Good luck with this next installment. In 9th grade a classmate ended up with navy blue hair. I hope this "Oops" turns it into a VICTORY!

Suz

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha...think of all the kinds of things you could sell just being labeled "Oops." What a marketing genius.

Abbey

trinityroyal

In 9th grade a classmate ended up with navy blue hair.

:rofl: And here, I thought I was the only one who had a bad dye job turn navy blue. (I was aiming for midnight black, but something went horribly wrong somewhere along the line...) Haven't coloured my hair in the 25 years that have passed since that mishap.

Gcv, I hope the Oops works well. And I'll reiterate Suz's advice about doing a really good deep conditioning treatment once all the colouring is done.