Bizarro hair color... I am a poster child for...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Trinity, that's almost exactly what happened to my friend. She had brown hair and bleached it white. It looked awful on her so then she tried to put black dye on the bleached hair and it turned navy blue. :0

Suz

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a LOT of gray hair. My naturally dirty dishwater brown/blonde hair is also coming in very very dark or very very silver.

It is strange but not a big deal to me. I have it cut every 12-18 months whether I need it or not. I have these horrible wispy hairs at the front where bangs would be. they are NOT something I want but something I tolerate. They don't grow more than 4 inches ever. I don't do anything to style them and they still are that length. Can y'all tell they annoy me greatly? LOL!!!

I cannot strongly enough recommend that you NOT use the blue shampoo. It frequently leaves that blueish tint that makes you look about 90. If you want to go blue use a dye and go all the way blue!

Instead you should get PURPLE shampoo. It will make the gray pretty and shiny and will not make it blue or purple colored. Walmart carries the Jhirmack brand for gray hair. It is about $3.50 here for a large bottle and it is very moisturizing. It really makes a big difference. Even the stylists here use purple shampoo instead of the blue stuff.

You simply cannot look worse than husband's biomom. In almost 20 years I have NEVER seen her with less than 3 distinct colors in her hair. Not blended like highlights. The bottom 3"-6" are one faded icky over processed color. The middle 3"-4" is a totally different color - also very frizzy. Then the top 3" or so is an even different color.

She also perms it herself. She brags that she has NEVER "wasted" money on a salon or paying someone to "do" her hair. It really really shows!!

She also swears that conditioner is a racket designed to make you spend money on something you don't need. (When husband and I met she said the same thing about her stove and was trying to get husband's sis's husband to take it out and cap the gas line. Yes, she was planning to get rid of the stove. Since she doesn't believe in microwaves she would not ahve any way too cook other than an electric skillet and a crockpot. She is a certified whackjob, Know what I mean??)

So don't feel too bad about your orange.

If you can find Prell or Finesse shampoo they will help take that color right out of your hair. Finesse can also destroy a perm so if you perm don't use it. That was my unhappy discovery when Finesse first came out.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Right before the CD gathering we did Onyxx's hair.

If any of you there looked closely, her roots were indeed navy blue.

I feel sorry for the housekeeping staff at that hotel. They had pink-and-blue smears on their white towels... LOL

trinityroyal

Trinity, that's almost exactly what happened to my friend. She had brown hair and bleached it white. It looked awful on her so then she tried to put black dye on the bleached hair and it turned navy blue. :0

That's about how it happened with me as well. I was experimenting with peroxide, ended up with Zsa Zsa Gabor blonde hair (NOT flattering with my skin tone), and tried to...erm...fix it with Miss Clairol midnight black.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
So I suppose I'd better NOT try black on mine. LOL the top 2/3 is rellay light blonde and just wrong with my skin. I'm too pale!

I can only imagine what will happen when I do the touch up tonight or tomorrow. Trying to get lower 2/3 cherry red again with blonde on top. Maybe I'll put cherry on the top for the last 10 minutes or something. So it's not quite so blindingly blonde!

Or maybe I'll just give up and get the Oops stuff. However with the bleached part it's likely to look terrible... Sigh. I could always just give up & let it grow out.

I wish I could find Prell or Finesse around here. I love the smell of the shampoo & it relaxes my natural poodle-do. However if it takes out color too... Hmm. Maybe not!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it doesn't look like I can use the Oops because the color I'm trying to get rid of was a temporary color. According to their website, it won't work on that kind of treatment. Oh well, at least that saves me $13. I'm going to try the permanent dark brown hair color this afternoon... hopefully that will work fine. If not, c'est la cheveux!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh gosh! I just called the Clairol help line and the told me I can't just use the one box of dark brown -- I have to use a 2-color process. :faint:

They gave me step-by-step instructions, so now I have to go back to the store and get the two NEW colors to use. They told me to just use the color of one, then after waiting with it in for the allotted time, use the color AND developer of the other plus 2oz of shampoo on top of the first color. Then wait and check every 5 minutes, then rinse and shampoo.

Sheesh. After fixing this, I think I'll just let the gray grow out. :p

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sweetie, I'm very "attached" to each of the gray hairs I have. I earned each & every one honestly & will were it with pride.

Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is good that you called the company. they give very good descriptions and instructions. They also know the products and how they perform and they have seen and helped with every conceivable mistake you could make.

I prefer the preference or excellence brands by loreal personally. they have a wonderful conditioner in them. I miss it since I had to stop coloring. I used to mix 2 colors to get what I wanted.

You can get Prell at Walgreens. They should have it instore according to the website. They also have it online. drugstore.com is backordered 1-2 weeks.

Go ahead and follow the directions Clairol gave. You probably will not regret it.

I have a cousin who is over-spoiled. Or was as a teen. The day of her prom she skipped school to "get ready". She used ash blonde color on her badly bleached hair (a friend just starting cosmetology school did it with professional products that were old and were left on more than 2 times too long. LOL!!!). the ash blonde turned her hair green. Bright bilious green. She called me in a panic and I sent her to the cosmetology school my hair guy owned and ran (he is just amazing - and teaches all over the world). It took him and his students until an hour before the dance to fix it so she looked OK. Not good by any standards, but worlds better than before. She ended up paying a couple hundred dollars for all the treatments they had to do - and they charge 1/2 to 1/3 what the cheapo places charge. She was smart enough to buy the products he recommended.

So it could be worse. It could be the day of your wedding! (She did the same thing the day before her wedding.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Linda, I don't mind my grey hair so much. It's silvery and would probably be quite striking if I let it all grow out since it does frame my face. My dad greyed prematurely. He was 100% white by the time he was 55 or so. I seem to take after one of his sisters who greyed in the same pattern I'm following.

I must say, though, that going blonde was fun (except for the expense). The gal I've been going to for years picked a good base color to start with and then added the weave/highlights on top. Except for my dark brows, you'd think it was my natural color!

So I'm now sitting here with the smelly, awful color #1 (no developer) and waiting my 20 minutes as directed. Then I'm supposed to blot it with paper towels and apply color #2 WITH the developer AND 1/4 cup of shampoo and check it every 5 minutes for a max of 20 minutes. With any luck, in 30 minutes or so, I'll be restored to the goddess I was before I got into this mess! :bigsmile:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it's finished! Not quite the medium brown I expected, but it doesn't look too bad and is waaaay better than the creepy pumpkin hair I had earlier today! Although it's still wet, it looks to be an auburn brown (difficult child 2 says it's mahogany :D ). At least it's all one color now! I ended up leaving it on longer than recommended because the grey in front was taking a loooong time to change. But man was that a messy, stinky process. It took a little over an hour. Not too bad, I guess. I'll have to take a picture after it dries and post it -- those of you who met me in Cleveland can have a before and after in your mind!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I can't wait to hear how this works out. I'd need a prompter to help me remember all of the steps! Treasure your memory while you still have it. :)

Me?

Well, I'm fighting the aging process with everything I've got. Had my hair highlighted tonight to blend the old age white with the new "blonde." Maybe by my 70th birthday I'll be brave enough to go red!

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So now here is the new color (which looks kinda red in the incandescent light of the bathroom):

So it's a slight improvement over scarey pumpkin orange, I s'pose.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Wow! So nice seeing your face again.

And all you ladies, whatever you decide, I'm sure I have a COUPON for that!

Can I interest anyone in wearing their hair in a long gray braid? I'm a crone and proud of it! At least for now...

Marguerite

The blue shampoo I was told to use - when I look at it, it IS purple. But the bottle refers to it as specially for blonde hair. My hairdresser called it blue shampoo though.

The orange in the photos should be easy to deal with.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
That last picture was a hoot. I had to look at it a few times to figure out what was going on.

Hair...you look lovely, dear.

Abbey

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
::sniffle:: I wish I could see photobucket stuff!

I 'bit the bullet' last night & touched up the red so I don't have quite so much blonde on top. MUCH BETTER. Of course, if I pull it into a high ponytail I'm gonna look like a rainbow skunk.

I was very, very, very careful. Thanks to everyone's stories, I didn't end up with worse than I started with. :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, ladies! husband said he likes it, so as long as I'm not getting grief, I'm happy! :D

Step, I emailed the pictures to you so check your inbox!