blind child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justind

Hi there. I have a child with an eye problem. Not really a problem child, because he's as sweet as an angel. But due to his eye condition, we send him to a special school. He does great at school but I find that he spends way too much time at school because he likes to read (the irony of it!)

We have purchased a computer for him to be able to "listen" to audiobooks and have the computer read text for him, he likes it very much and spends quite some time in front of the computer. But we have a problem with printed books (we have shelves and shelves of books he wants to read!) and newspapers. We have an electronic magnifier at home, but he doesn't like to use them, saying that it's too difficult to use.

Any ideas on what we could do so that he could have a "normal" reading experience at home

LittleDudesMom

justind,

I welcome you to our site. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the computer is only available in school and that is why he spends too much time at school? At home the only reading assistance he has is the magnifier? It's going to be difficult for us to recommend anything to you given we are not familiar with your son's level of disability or his age and reading level.

I must say, though anyone is welcome to be a visitor or member here, I think you might be in the wrong place. This site, as a whole, is really dedicated to children who have a variety of mental, emotional, learning, and behaviorial issues/disabilities. I'm not sure your son fits in one of those categories.

I understand your wanting your son to have a "normal" reading experience, but one thing many of us have to realize is that when your child is anything on the other side of typical, normal is just a place in Illinois.

Sharon

pepzizero

Banned
Hi there. I have a child with an eye problem. Not really a problem child, because he's as sweet as an angel. But due to his eye condition, we send him to a special school. He does great at school but I find that he spends way too much time at school because he likes to read (the irony of it!)

We have purchased a computer for him to be able to "listen" to audiobooks and have the computer read text for him, he likes it very much and spends quite some time in front of the computer. But we have a problem with printed books (we have shelves and shelves of books he wants to read!) and newspapers. We have an electronic magnifier at home, but he doesn't like to use them, saying that it's too difficult to use.

Any ideas on what we could do so that he could have a "normal" reading experience at home

From what I understand, your kid is spending more time to read? Perhaps his school has some equipment that enables him to read printed materials. And he uses the computer at home to "read" to him? But you have printed materials that he also wants to read?

I think that he would need some sort of magnifier at home to get help him with with this one. Perhaps you could invest on a XXXX system that allows him to read printed materials by making the text bigger and on screen. If your child does not want to read, you could get him XXXXXX which works the same as CCTVs but can also read the text to you even if you don't use a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepzizero

Banned
justind,

I welcome you to our site. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the computer is only available in school and that is why he spends too much time at school? At home the only reading assistance he has is the magnifier? It's going to be difficult for us to recommend anything to you given we are not familiar with your son's level of disability or his age and reading level.

I must say, though anyone is welcome to be a visitor or member here, I think you might be in the wrong place. This site, as a whole, is really dedicated to children who have a variety of mental, emotional, learning, and behaviorial issues/disabilities. I'm not sure your son fits in one of those categories.

I understand your wanting your son to have a "normal" reading experience, but one thing many of us have to realize is that when your child is anything on the other side of typical, normal is just a place in Illinois.

Sharon

Hi Sharon:

My kid has dyslexia and a friend's son has low vision problems. I think that I see the same behavioral problems in both. My husband thinks that it is because of the frustration that they both experience with their disabilities.

I think that anyone who his different would experience the same, that is why we need to show them love, patience, support. But most of all, give them the tools to overcome their "different-ness" and become more normal.

svengandhi

Have you asked the school if there is anything they can do to help him out? Can he learn Braille or get books on tape via I-pod so he can hear them?

Sheila

If your child has an IEP and needs the same equipment at home that is at school to complete his school or homework, request it via an IEP meeting. It is a "related service" under IDEA/IEP regs.

justind

Thank you for these. I am very much grateful for the information.

I've seen the site, but are there actually stores where we could try out these stuff before we buy them?

justind

justind,

Sharon

Hi Sharon:

Thank you for your reply. The thing is, I know that my son will never had a "normal experience" in anything. But I would be better off thinking that I gave him my best in giving him the tools that could make him self sufficient. And yes, my son -- due largely to his disability -- have problems adjusting. It takes all our love and support to get him in line.

slsh

member since 1999
This could/should be something the school can help you with. I can't remember the specific section of the IEP, but there's a place where they note if the child needs assistive technology. Obviously your son does. School staff should be able to hook you up with- vendors for reading devices so you could do trials. SD may or may not pay for their use at home, but at least a trial would help you figure out what works and what doesn't. Like Sheila said, if he needs assistive tech to do homework the the SD should provide it for home use.

Status
Not open for further replies.