Book ?

seekinghope

I just went to the library and ordered the explosive child. I was wondering if anyone has a good book regarding the manipulative teen and drug abuse?
Thank you,
seekinghope

BusynMember

Go to any Barnes and Nobel (or any bookstore) and ask for the section for "recovery/addiction." You'll find a variety of books there. Or you can just go to the library. Unfortunately, as the mom of an ex-addict, I don't think books help the child, but they can help the parents deal with our pain. You ever think of going to Al-Anon? That can be really helpful. Good luck.

seekinghope

I live real rural our library has very little, but If I know of a name and author they can order it for me.
I went to Borders but did not see any area for addition but I will ask about it the next time I go.
Thank for the info.

seekinghope

BusynMember

We only have one bookstore out here, but they do have a small "addiction" section. You can google up books too. Just put "books on addiction" in your search engine and you'll come up with a ton!!! Good luck, hon.

trinityroyal

In one of the other forums (General, I think), Adrianne mentioned a book called The Manipulative Child.

I wonder if you might find that book helpful as well.

Just a thought,
Trinity

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

I recommend Unhappy Teenagers by William Glasser

I believe it applies to all ages. The message is that your only influence is a good relationship where he feels understood and sees you as a help. problem solving focuses on both yours and his concerns , by talking and chatting with him like you would with a friend or your neighbours 25 yo child he will start to see you as a person who also has needs. it is a process that he needs to learn to trust , that cooperation is the way , win-win , not win-lose.
I think Byron Katie is helpful in a liberating way , getting rid of our fears and emotional baggage and related suffering so we can relate to our child in creative ways and lots of patience. Not easy
Allan