Cable TV alternatives? Anyone?

BusynMember

Does anyone know of the best alternatives to cable/dish TV? We are already on Netflix and Prime but want to still be able to see some of our favorite shows on regular TV if we can. Yet $200 a month for cable is too much once hubby retires

I know of Sling and Hulu. I am open to any suggestions and reviews.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me.

pasajes4

I use an indoor antenna. I bought it at walmart for under 20. It is a flat piece of square plastic and uses an HDMI hookup to the tv. I get all my local channels. I have netflix and hulu for movies.

BusynMember

Thanks. I thought of an antennae for local too. How is the reception?

Also, while I got you here would you be kind enough to tell me how the hurricane area of Texas is doing? We would still like to camp somewhere near the Corpis Christi area next year if possible. Thank you very much.

pasajes4

The antenna is high definition and works great in my area.
The coast is recovering slowly. You would need to check with wherever it is you wanted to stay to see what the conditions are. South Padre did not get hit and it is beautiful.

BloodiedButUnbowed

I do not recommend Sling TV. Even with the fastest available Internet speed the service is choppy and cuts in and out. Thank you for reminding me to cancel the free trial before we get billed!

B’smom

Do you guys have android boxes in the states? We just stream using the box. It’s free after you buy the box and your internet. Might have to pay to have someone reprogram it from time to time

Copabanana

I use an indoor antenna. I bought it at walmart for under 20.
I saw them at my dollar store for a few bucks. Maybe I should get one.
So horrible. *Or maybe operator error. Neither M nor I could understand how to do it.

I have heard of Amazon Fire stick, I think it is called. You can buy them on internet where they have had some kind of re-programming, that allows them to get all kinds of paid channels. The alteration renders the guarantee invalid (but the device is cheap). And there is no illegality about it. (As far as I understand.) I will try to get the name of it.

The word I was thinking of is Kodi.
"
Both Android TV box and Firestick can operate by way of Kodi. "Kodi is open-source and free software for the ultimate consumer who loves entertainment. Simply put, it is a software for fans of sports, movies, and TV shows."

One such Android TV box that is noted is Kekilo android tv box. I have no idea how much it costs. The version of Amazon Firestick on ebay was about $50 a year ago and I would guess it might have come down in price.

B’smom

I have heard of Amazon Fire stick, I think it is called. You can buy them on internet where they have had some kind of re-programming, that allows them to get all kinds of paid channels. The alteration renders the guarantee invalid (but the device is cheap). And there is no illegality about it. (As far as I understand.) I will try to get the name of it.

We crossed the border not long ago and bought a fire stick ( until recently they weren’t available here). We installed a program on it that allows you to search for tv shows and movies and then you stream them. Most episodes are on the next day. It’s legal in Canada, I don’t know about the states. Here it’s called Kodi.

B’smom

I don’t think so personally. YouTube has tons of videos on how to install it and what programs to use to stream on Kodi.
Any android device should be compatible (not apple, blackberry etc)

BusynMember

I started the thread.

We tried various options but in the end we did order a contract free deal with cable. The big problems are we like local channels and we are not all that interested in the newer shows that are on different types on channels. So we didnt go there. An antennae wouldnt bring in our local stations as the channels are too far away from us.

B’smom

Sorry SWOT, I’m not even sure how it popped up at the top on my list thing, since it seems this post is from April

Kathy813

Staff member
We recently switched from cable tv to a streaming service called Direct TV Now. It works fine as long as you have reliable high speed Internet and only costs us $40 a month. It has all of the channels I watch and we can record and watch our shows on the television or any streaming devices which is nice when we are traveling.

My daughter uses it and told us about it. We pay for our Internet service separately. We reduced our cable/tv costs from $180 a month to $110 a month.