Californian Fires

MissLulu

Just wanted to reach out and send my thoughts to anyone in California affected by the fires. I'm from Victoria, Australia and we started the year with catastrophic fires, followed soon after by the pandemic. It's been a hard year to get through. I can only imagine how terrible it must be for you all there right now. Have to evacuate your homes while trying to deal with the virus must be just terrible. Thinking of you from the other side of the world and sending you love, hope and strength.

MissLulu

Ugh - my computer froze just after I posted this so I couldn't go back in and edit the typos! I meant "Having to evacuate..."

HMBgal

I'm about 20 miles north of the coastal fire. We are having evacuees at the high school. We're safe, but it's heartbreaking for the loss of homes and incredibly special places that are gone (Big Basin Redwoods--California's first state park, the camps where me, my children, and grandkids camped, had our outdoor ed weeks, to name a few). The air is somewhat breathable; we're just hoping the winds don't shift. We only have one road in and out and on a normal weekend, it's so choked with tourists that us locals can't even get to the grocery store without sitting on the highway for 40 minutes to go four miles. And it's been so much worse since the quarantine. People come here to get away, but really bring a lot of risk to us.

I hope everyone else is doing okay. It's going to be a rough fire season.

I hadn't been to Big Basin in years and I had a wild hare that I simply had to pack up everybody and go last Friday. I bought a couple souvenirs from the 110 year old beautiful stone and wooden park headquarters building. We wandered the paths and breathed in the air that those ancient, beautiful trees produce. Now it's all gone. We were there on Friday, and it was gone a few days after that. At least my grandkids got to experience it a little bit.

MissLulu

I’m so pleased your grandchildren got to see that beautiful part of the world. The devastation fire brings is so heartbreaking. It will take some time to recover. I’m so glad you and your family are safe, though.

KTMom91

I'm in Central CA. No fires nearby, but the air is just awful...thick and smoky. I had ash on my car this morning.

My daughter went to college in Scotts Valley, near Santa Cruz, and several of her friends are still in the area. She was calling them the other night hoping everyone was safe.