Can someone remind me...

klmno

who is required by the fed law to be at an iep meeting? I know I can exempt them and can ask more people but I can't remeber the basic rule of thumb of who should be there- does anyone know off the top of you head?

T

TeDo

I believe the student (optional), parent/guardian, SpEd person, regular ed teacher and a representative of the district administration (in our case the school level principal). Don't quote me 100% but I'm about 90% sure that's who is required unless formally excused.

klmno

OK, thanks! I couldn't remember if a guidance counselor was required or not. E's new school is wayyyy behind on Special Education policies so I'm glad his needs are minimal at this point and we only have one more year left of this!

T

TeDo

A guidance counselor can be the representative of the district if the school requests that they act in that capacity. We had that once because the superintendent called an administration meeting for the same time as our IEP meeting.

klmno

This place is 'green'- they just sent me a generric letter instead of the prior notice that they're supposed to send telling me about the mtg. And they just hired a PhD level person to head guidance counseling but her PhD is in something completely unrelated and they have her being guidance counselor to all the Special Education students- it actually even has on their website that students with last names beginning with certain letters have Ms X as their guidance counselor and the others have Ms. Z but Special Education students have this other one. I find that disturbing but like I say, we can get thru the year without her, I think. Oh- she also seems to automatically act like students on an IEP come from poor, troubled homes. We both found her very condescending.

lmf64

The district rep must have authorization to spend the district's money. I have cancelled IEP meetings because they sent someone with no authority to spend the money needed to get what my son needs.

klmno

That's a good and interesting point. I guess that's why so many of us heard "but we don't have those accommodations to give your child at this school" in the past when we knew they were required to address the student's needs somehow. After reading your reply my guess is that the people sitting there didn't have them or have authority to approve or fund them.

lmf64

very likely. I hate to say it, but districts will send a rep with no authority so they can say a rep was there. My son was a freshman in high school with them wanting to send him to out of district, and therefore out of home, placement before they decided to send the person who could spend money. Guess who came to every IEP meeting after that? lol You're right! He and I have a love hate relationship, I love that he hates to see my son's IEP invite come across his desk.