Caught Teen Using Drugs - Help

I could go on and on about hiding places for drugs. I think the worst was when we set the condition that my son had to be breathalyzed twice a day to stay with us and passed his breathalyzer with flying colors. Basking in his father's praise, but I could see he was going downhill. Son eventually took off in a nonsensical decision to bike cross-country and we found hundreds of poppers in the trunk of his car. He had been inhaling them to get high yet test clean on a breathalyzer.

I did want to say one thing about wishing we had done it differently. I have wished so many times that we had come down like the Hand of God on him when he started. We too hoped it was just a phase, so we tried to keep the lines of communication open. When we saw that he was different from other teenagers and came down hard on him, we didn't get much support from his "cool" aunts, who thought that a little pot and beer were no big deal. We should have stopped that too.

I have so many regrets about not giving him what he needed. I SO wish we had been more like parents and less like friends. At the very least, I SO wish we had made it so (#M* hard for him to experiment that he would have turned to other things instead of drugs.

But we never know how things would have worked out.

My son's ex-girlfriend, at the same age, got caught smoking marijuana. Her parents put her in drug "boot camp," random drug tested her, put her in the strictest Christian school they could find, took off her bedroom door, searched and stripped her room, enrolled her and them in individual and family counseling, and took away her cell phone.

That ought to do it, right?

The last we heard, a couple of years ago, she was addicted and homeless on the West Coast.

I will never understand an addict's way of thinking, but I do believe that we can only do the best we know at the time and hope they make the right choices. There aren't any easy answers.
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to read two different ways to handle the initial situation. This really proves that no matter what we do, or don't do, they will do what they want, right?!?! So frustrating for all us parents. :( We can only each do the way we think is best and hope they can make good decisions in the end. I don't know too many teens that make good decisions though! Lord help us all to get through this.

Teriobe

Ceiling vent, behind puctures on wall, in shoes. In old boardgames noone plays, literally anywhere, you have to think like a sneak, where would you hide something, flashlught, take battries out, put in there, oh the shoes, take out the sole, under there, mine also hide :censored2: in the garage. It wouls be better to just drug test him every week and come down hard if fails. I thought mine was goibg thru a phase with mj, it went onto pills than meth than herion. I was too soft, come down hard

Teriobe

Ceiling vent, behind puctures on wall, in shoes. In old boardgames noone plays, literally anywhere, you have to think like a sneak, where would you hide something, flashlught, take battries out, put in there, oh the shoes, take out the sole, under there, mine also hide :censored2: in the garage. It wouls be better to just drug test him every week and come down hard if fails. I thought mine was goibg thru a phase with mj, it went onto pills than meth than herion. I was too soft, come down hard
Even call cops

Teriobe

Dont fall for the, its my friends, or, if you break that pipe my friend will beat me up. All kinds of crap hell say to scare you and be easy on him, dont believe it. They lie straight to your face

susiestar

Roll With It
You know they are lying in one certain, easy to tell way: their lips are moving.

I wish that was a joke. It just isn't. Don't take anything they tell you at face value.

What's the best at home kits you've all used? I just tried the Psychemedics hair test, waiting on results. I have read that sometimes weed doesn't bond well to hair, especially if its dark. Has anyone done hair testing?

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Most of us have called the police on our kids.

They don't always just come to arrest; they have a lot of training in a lot of domestic situations also. Sometimes them knowing that you have community support is a good thing.

Is he still coming home high?

Sam3

I think hair is best for things that have a short half life (cocaine etc) and for quantifying intake over time for some substances, and urine is best for pot.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
They will argue about the hair test saying oh it was so long ago blah blah. I use urine tests and make my son agree to test on demand. Both are good but I have never had a clean test once.

Got the hair test back and it was negative. Just got a bunch of urine tests to have here and will test the next morning if I have suspicion. He knows better than to argue about taking a test. I put those blue tabs in the water tank for cleaning, but also helps to prevent him from putting toilet water in. These new tests I go also take the temp, which would impact if he added any water I would think the temp would go down drastically?? I don't think he's been high for the past 2 weeks, as he has been at home mostly and interacting with us. I haven't gotten any feelings like he was 'off' and I've got a pretty good radar for that. I am sure he hasn't turned over a new leaf (I know better than to be that hopeful) so will test as soon as I have any suspicion. I've searched the house high and low and gotten rid of a ton of stuff because it's more stuff to search though. Isn't that sad?! He has met up with a girl that as far as I know is clean and a good influence and has been spending lots of time with her (she comes to the house) the last couple weeks. I hope she is a good influence for him and that he doesn't drag her down!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
You are going to be exhausted if you stay at this pace!

I hope and pray that you won't have to.