&@^%@&@*!!! Children's cold & allergy medication recall!

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks for the 411. I am sorry duckie will be miserable. I don't see anywhere that says generic versions of these medications are recalled. Is there a generic that might help her?

I hope she isn't too miserable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, d*mn it! I'll have to tell Nichole. I dunno if she's still medicating Aubrey or not. Poor kid has the same awful allergy her Mom and I does to those pretty white flowering trees. Hers was so bad she looked like she had severe pink eye in both eyes and was all stuffed up and congested.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass on the info.

Lothlorien

I have two brand new bottles of recalled items. I'm not too happy either. However, the store brands don't seem to be affected (at least not from what I've read.....can't find the lot numbers on their site).

klmno

Even though difficult child switched to adult strength OTCs a few years ago, I'm real curious about learning the specific risks and reactions they are worried about. difficult child's pediatrician (1 1/2-2 years ago) had started steering away from rx'ing steroids except in the more serious situations and had already started rx'ing an allergy medication that had a different chemical make-up than most and said it was because they had started noticing a correlation between the traditionallky rx'd medications and kids' impulsivity, hyperactivity, agitation, and stimulation and resulting behavior issues. When difficult child had bad allergies that would lead to ashmatic wheezing as a baby and preschooler, they still would not rx him an anti-histimine until he was 6yo or older.

On a different angle though, the pediatrician rn use to recommend infant dimettap for difficult child when he had congestion as a baby. I gave it to him on three different occasions and it did work well for clearing the congestion and helping him rest, however all three times he had ashmatic wheezing and was on the nebulizer the next day. Despite the nurse's insistance that this medication could not cause that, I refused to give it to him anymore. That medication is no longer on the market for babies and was recalled for kids because the FDA pulled their approval of it after several years of many children having adverse reactions to it.

Last edited:

tiredmommy

We have Zyrtec, Motrin & Tylenol in the cupboard. Her allergist prefers she not use generic Zyrtec because there's a flavoring additive that has caused allergic reactions in some of his patients :)hammer:). I opted for chewable Zyrtec at the pharmacy this morning... I'll put a call in to the doctor next week to see if she can take the adult 10mg pill going forward. This was very bad timing... a weekend during the highpoint of spring allergy season. :rolleyes:

Lothlorien

Missy has been on the adult strength (10 mg) of Zyrtec since she was 6. The directions say 6 and over. I give Mighty Mouse 10 mg, but I give him the liquid (generic). I actually have to give Missy 30 mg of fexofenadine at night, because the Zyrtec is just not enough this time of year. She can't take Singulair, because she gets manic on it. I've been taking Zyrtec and Singulair.

SRL

For another option you might check into Allegra. The children's Allegra pills are very small and there's a liquid as well. I've used it for years and it's very effective for one of my kids.

tiredmommy

Duckie is allergic to Singulair (ironic, huh?). And Allegra and Claritin don't work very well for her. Zyrtec has really been her golden ticket.

smallworld

Per her pediatrician, A has been using 10 mg adult strength Zyrtec tablets for years. Ever since it went OTC, she and I share a bottle every spring.:D