Chill Out Chair our PHN thinks Q should have this

buddy

TherAdapt | Chill Out Chair by Freedom Concepts

We are finalizing his budget and she saw this at another home and thought of Q. It is really expensive but I have searched and found it in multi colored ugly fabric for way less...

Q also found this wrap thing, I thought it looked like a restraint...they lie on a board and different sections wrap around and velcro as tight as you like. He has always liked being wrapped up like a "hotdog" in a blanket but then they get stuck if you are not there to unwrap...of course you need to stay. so I thought this board thing would be unsafe but it says even with hands in the person in it can get out. It is NOt restraint, just pressure so schools can even use it.

TherAdapt | Big Hug

I dont know if our budget will allow for these but the PHN is trying to see if she can get at least the chair in it...

HMMM???

For other adaptive equipment.... which text to speech readers and programs do people like the best??

Thanks, buddy

T

TeDo

The chair sounds great but know how it is with the whole budget issue. As for the board thingie....I don't think I would trust your sd with it. JMHO I can just picture the PROBLEMS that could cause for Q. Does he have a weighted blanket. Out Occupational Therapist (OT) got MA to pay for one from DreamWorks (not sure if the "works" is the right word). difficult child 1 LOVES his. It is twin sized. difficult child 1 even got to pick out his own colors. Might be worth a shot.

I don't know of any other things your asking about. I know difficult child 1 loves his Dragon speech to text program. It was only $50 at WalMart. Have you looked into those Smart Pens? Not sure how they work or what all they do but have heard of them and thought about looking into them. If you can find something that can READ for difficult child 1, I would love that since I end up doing a lot of the reading for him. Happy hunting.

buddy

OH I would NEVER let the sd have it....I just meant that if a sd could use it, then I know it can't be a restraint...lol.... NOPE not a chance. I do let little things go there though...like he has this stretchy loop that is lycra, about 2 feet in width and maybe 3.5 feet in diameter (a large rectangle sewn together ) so he can sit in it and push his legs out and it puts pressure on his back.....he cozy's up in that and he has a compression vest there too.

I wouldn't even want it in my house if it was a restraint, I might be tempted to use it!!!LOL!!!!!

OH yeah, I have seen those pens.... I will check it out!

InsaneCdn

If you want good text-to-speech, contact the US equivalent of CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind).
They can tell you what the good programs are, and why.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Buddy do a google search for associations for the blind in your area. They can tell you too, and they can provide it to you free if Q meets their qualifications. Travis can get all sorts of adaptive equipment from the Cincy assoc for the blind for free. I've been bugging him to make an appointment with them for a new cane.........

I'm going to look into those weighted blankets. I've never tried one for Travis but I've noticed he still wraps himself up like a mummy in his blankets, so maybe he'd like one.

T

TeDo

The company is called DreamCatcher. They are wonderful blankets. Kind of spendy (for me anyway) but our Occupational Therapist (OT) was great and did everything in her power to get MA to pay for it 100%. We had originally tried one that had horizontal tubes of weight but there were 2-4 inch gaps between each tube. The ones from DreamCatcher are made entirely of small pockets with micro beads of some sort. It is awesome. difficult child 1's is a 12 lb (he weighs 70 lbs). Their website says like 5-10% of the persons body weight. Because difficult child 1 likes the weight, the Occupational Therapist (OT) said one that is about 20%. difficult child 1 loves it and it really is helping.

buddy

Q has two weighted blankets, one when he was little then a bigger one. This lady who has an autistic son nearby makes them and they have gone BIG because she makes them with velcro wide industrial strips on the inside so that a cover can be put on and closed at the top, the kid can pick the soft outside cover....and then that can be washed because washing her weighted blankets is impossible (made of materials that cant get very wet, and it is too heavy for a washer anyway.

Q will sleep with BOTH on. I dont know how....but I do have a kid who sleeps all thru the night. At school they give him weighted lap blankets and he does beautifully when they are used....