cleaning a dog's teeth

Confused

Nomad, Im glad you were able to get a tooth done! She will get used to it. After a certain age its scary but if its has to be done, you might have to get it done. Maybe if they just make her a little woozy with area numbing? EKG before hand is a good idea! Plus, I think they are hooked p to a monitor too right? So they can wake them up quick if need be. I need to start on my dogs teeth again, the dont like it either, they barely like being brushed now! I wish you luck with your doxie, she sounds cute!

Nomad

Staff member
LDM, GN, Donna, EVERYONE!!!! I can not thank you enough! I'm a little emotional because all your suggestions together have worked a miracle. I'm also sad that I didn't know all this before.

I did the PB toothpaste, the gauze, the treats...etc. and in three days she is letting me clean her teeth! I'm in shock! I started with just letting her taste the toothpaste and immediately I saw the difference, because she LIKES it. And I could only brush ONE tooth the other day, so I used gauze today and she was fine with that! I give her partial treats during and at the end I gave her several. I even spoke with her and perhaps because she is old and wise I told her if she let me do her TEETH, I would give her lots of treats. The old gals seem to UNDERSTAND!

I phoned the vet's office a week ago about a cleaning and they never called me back. I called this morning and they never called me back. They have anew YOUNG vet and I'm beginning to wonder if she is frightened. I spoke with her briefly about the dog getting a dental cleaning when I brought her in for arthritis and she said her teeth were horrible and then changed the subject.

Her two large fangs (I don't know what they are called) sort of on the sides, but toward the front, are disgusting. The little teeth look like they will probably be ok. But these big fang like teeth (2) are dark green and one looks a little crackly. It's disgusting. OMG...I don't think she would be ok if they removed those and I don't think I would allow it. They aren't wiggly, but seriously gross and disturbing.

I don't know how I missed this. And we board her for a long weekend there (at the vet) about once every six weeks. The last time we boarded her, fairly recently, a very nice caretaker told me I needed to look at her teeth.

Her breath was bad right about then, I looked, and got a bad shock...just gross!

So, any thoughts on those big fang like teeth? OM goodness, I'm so worried for her now.

Health wise, she seems ok. Her last blood work was fine about 8 weeks ago. Although today, the receptionist told me that for the cleaning she would need new bloodwork and an EKG.

She was recently treated for mild arthritis, but is off her medication now and doing fine. She is to take the medication only as needed.

I think me cleaning her teeth with the PB paste almost daily will be ok with the new info. I received from all of you. I'm sooo grateful.

BUT those fang teeth (2) are hideous and I surely won't be able to clean them. They are beyond regular cleaning.

I'm wondering if I should be blunt with the young vet and ask her for she feels comfortable working with my dog???? (Due to her age and the severity of some of those teeth) I'm also wondering if I should ask that the teeth not be removed...perhaps if they are not wiggly or badly infected, they can be saved. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Thomas didn't lose any teeth. He did need root planing and gingival pockets cleaned out. The pockets were treated with antibacterial gel that helped to tighten down loosened teeth.

He was a very sore camper for a few days after his dental due to the root planing, but I'd say he was in less pain afterwards than he was before with an infection-laden mouth.

He was treated with IM antibiotics and oral buprenorphine for pain after the dental and bounced back very quickly.

He was sedated with IV Ketamine and Valium and anesthesia was maintained with isoflourane gas. This is a very safe combination for older cats and dogs.

BLoodwork to check Thomas' kidney and liver function was done prior to his dental work to make sure that his kidney's and liver could handle breaking down and excreting the drugs used during the surgery.

IV fluids were given during and after surgery to lessen the strain on Thomas' body and to keep a line open in case something went wrong and IV drugs needed to be administered.

Thomas came through with flying colors. The only difference i N oticed between Thomas and a younger cat was that it took him a little longer to come enough out from under the anesthetic to be released to come home.

LittleDudesMom

Nomad, I can't speak to the fangs but I'm so glad the teeth brushing is a success. Our doxies are known to be the most stubborn breed of dog so we have to be really sneaky sometime....