Corona virus stuff

HMBgal

Well, is anyone else nervous, especially those of us with kids (grandkid in my case) in special schools for emotional/behavioral issues, worried about having them home all day? Do you think you'll be able to keep the behavioral stuff on track? I'm grateful that the school in grandson is in has had a year to calm him down, teach us what we need to know, and teach him coping strategies and self-knowledge. So far, so good. If this had happened a year ago, he probably would have been hospitalized. Seriously. That's have severe things were.

And how are all y'all holding up in general?

BusynMember1

Kay is against conventional medicine so she and Lee are living somewhere in a camper and no doubt taking some vitamins or herbs to stave off Coronavirus. They will not take precautions because they will believe they are immune to getting it. That's how they think.

On the plus side, Jaden is with Amy. Amy is staying home and (tears of joy) Kay doesn't know it, but Jaden has been vaccinated.

Our business is being run remotely and we will lose money, but so will many people who have no savings at all. So sad.

All in all, a hyper person like me is bored staying in. But we have family activities planned at home. Our state is on total lockdown and I think that is best. I didn't always think so, but now I do.

Blessings and love to all.

AppleCori

Hi hmbgal,

Is the school going to go to online schooling or send work to be completed?

Is it possible to keep him on as close a schedule as possible to what he is accustomed to?

You may or may not have heard of this resource, but I will put it out here in case someone can use it—Khan Academy has free online learning in many subjects for most grades, and even adults. The Critical Thinking Co. has some free worksheets (puzzles and critical thinking activities from many different subjects). I haven’t checked into this yet, but the NYPL (library) is allowing people to “borrow” e-books. DuoLingo is a free foreign language online program.

My friend is offering a free online writing class live, starting soon.

I have a lot of resources for homeschooling materials if anyone needs to look into this.

Copabanana

Well, is anyone else nervous
I am nervous, HMBgal. My son is an adult now, but I would have had a hard time with 24 hours/7 days togetherness.

I have spoken with my son after a 2 month period without contact. He's starting his 3rd month in the sober living home and sounds better and appears content there.

He is back in force to his conspiracy theories, and he believes this coronavirus is a sign that the times are changing in ways that were foretold. Something to do with solar something and the gold standard and what not. I try to block it out and I try not to react, which for me is close to impossible. I've asked him to please forego talking about it with me, but he can't control himself. I am grateful that he's trying to hold back at least some, and realizes that I am vulnerable.That's progress. There was a time he could not.

M and I are both "sheltering in place." I was motivated to reach out to my son because if there comes a time we need water, and I could not see a way that we could get it, that made me panic. I wanted to feel as if there would be somebody that loved me that I could depend on. I think my son would come through. That's big.

I have neighbors but hesitate to involve them. I'm the only older person on the block and nobody has asked if I needed anything. I've had some food delivery and M was able to shop once.

I recognize that there are other people my age who are not taking this as seriously as am I. I question myself. I have gone through most of my life being fearless. But I don't want to be stupid.

I was at the brink of going back to work, after a long while off. While I don't have close physical contact with people in my job (i.e, I don't touch their bodies), it is face to face in shared space. I had also been at the point of renting out a couple of rooms in my home (that have their own private entrance and bath). Both of these arrangements, I am re-thinking. Do I want people in my house, even though they can't enter my own area? Do I want to think about keeping 6' distance from people at work, sharing a bathroom, disinfecting doorknobs? As I even think these things a big NO wells up in me. Will this change? I don't know. What does this mean? How to make sense of my life anymore. I even thought of a foster child.

Two weeks ago, I was sailing full steam ahead in each of these ways. Now it's a big NO. What is the middle ground? Will there ever be a middle ground again? How long will this last? This is hard.

It was hard these years that I have been here where almost all of the limits seemed internal: pain about my mother's death, and all of that processing; pain and stress about my son, and all of that processing. And here I am, at the point where I'm ready to live again, actively, and nowhere to go. No flying. No ships. No work. No renters. No activities.

But I can walk where I live. I'm starting a few art classes. My house looks beautiful. I'm gardening. I'm grateful. How about all of you? I'm grateful to have you and to be with you. Be well and safe, everybody.

Thank you HMBgal, for this thread, which I'm hijacking. Sorry.

AppleCori

Just wanted to add a few ideas for people who have kids at home:

St. Lewis Aquarium at Union Station has a virtual breakfast with Coconut the Sloth

freekidsguide.com/election

Nandina

AppleCori, I saw in a previous post that you knew someone who was offering an online writing class. Would you be able to provide a link or information when that becomes available?

AppleCori

I want to have breakfast with Coconut the sloth! Apple, can you PM me about the writing class? These virtual connections are keeping me going. I'm going to find Coconut right now! But I missed breakfast.

The breakfast with Coconut sounds so fun! I haven’t done it yet, but hope to tomorrow!

I should have said that the writing class is geared towards middle-grade kids!

louise2350

Has anyone heard for seniors to especially distance themselves from children in regards to this virus? I usually have my grandchildren over at my Senior Living apartment, but have been hesitant about allowing them to come over since this virus began. Some resident here told me not to be around my grandchildren during this time. I don't think she had the correct information about children and the virus as I've read that no young children have gotten this or if there was a case it was only 1 or 2 kids and they recovered with no problem. I know seniors immune system gets weaker with age but it doesn't make sense to stay away from healthy kids if no kids get this virus. The office in this building has not made any rules regarding having children in the building. I'm not taking any chances and am waiting having my grandchildren here until this virus subsides, but am wondering if children pose any health problems with this virus to seniors. I also heard that children are carriers of this virus which I don't think is so.

AppleCori

As far as I have heard, children are just as susceptible to the virus as everyone else. They generally have better outcomes than older adults, of course, but they definitely do get the disease and a few (mostly with pre-existing conditions) have passed. Others have become seriously ill.

Every senior living home and nursing home that I am aware of has banned all visitors, and I think this is a good plan. We are in a state that (so far) has very few confirmed cases, but the precautions have been put into place for a reason.

My friends hubby is a director of a center and believes seniors are at high risk and need to stay away from everyone, child or adult, to the extent possible.

I don’t know how hard your country has been hit, but take precautions accordingly.

AppleCori

Amazon’s Audible is offering free listing privileges for the duration of the school closings (they have adult books as well as children’s, teens, etc.)

Nandina

Louise, I agree with Apple’s comments. And even though your grandchildren might not be sick with the virus, they could still be carriers. There really just isn’t enough known yet about who can transmit this virus, to not take every precaution and the experts seem to be adding new information all the time. But I did hear the other day that I believe it was four out of five people who got it, got it from someone who didn't know they were carrying the virus. Wow.

In my own case, my 32 year old daughter and 29 year old son (as well as 19 year old difficult child) are staying away out of concern for my husband and me, both in our sixties. My daughter is a server and feels that through her contact with so many people (restaurant has since closed down), she doesn’t know who has what or if she’s been exposed to anything. She also said she worked with a few people who thought they might even have had the virus and didn’t know it at the time.

I’m really going to miss my kids! Thank goodness for Skype—I think we will eventually resort to that to keep in touch outside of phone calls and texting. But there’s nothing like a good hug! I’ll miss that.

Stay well everyone.

AppleCori

My hubby’s parents are in Senior Living (and they are almost 90). Hubby told them several weeks ago that we weren’t going to go see them until this was over. The center has since banned all visitors and canceled all rides to appointments, medical and otherwise. Keep this in mind, as the virus may be coming to your country in greater numbers than you may have now.

louise2350

Apple and Nardina: I live in Massachusetts and I do agree with both of you it's better to be on the cautious side with this virus, but everything I've heard there weren't any children who got this - mostly seniors and some now in their 50s and 40s. I think I heard of a few cases with children who pulled through it - one needed hospitalization. You never know what's going to happen with this virus. I have heard of one senior living place here that has closed down to visitors but as of yet they are not keeping people inside - they just say to take precautions and we will see how it goes. All appointments of course are cancelled unless absolutely necessary. I do not plan on seeing my grandchildren but sure do miss the hugs and the fun we have but will put if off until all of this settles down.

Nandina

Louise, I hear you about missing the hugs and just being with those adorable grandchildren. But it may be time to use some more creative ways of staying in touch.

I’m thinking every day about how we can help my mother-in-law, 96 years young, living in a nursing home and confined to a wheelchair. She has all her mental faculties and is quite active in the nursing home, participating in crafts, trips, and whatever they do that is social. Currently, she can’t leave her room. No one can visit and any items for her must be dropped off at the front door. Normally, my husband, her only child, visits her at least once a week, and takes her whatever she needs or wants (candy!) I told my husband, I am afraid this will kill her—not the virus, but the lack of social connection.

To make matters worse, she is nearly deaf, her hearing loss is so profound, which makes communicating by phone difficult. She is not the least bit technical and never mastered use of a computer, so that is not an option. Today I decided even though we live 30 minutes away, I will start writing her letters. She may not be able to write back due to severe tremors, but at least she will have that little bit of connection with her family and know that we love her and care so much. I will write at least one a week and plan to include photos too.

My 32 year old daughter, who is very talented in art, has decided to send her things that she’s drawn or painted. I’m sure my husband will continue to drop off the things she needs (candy!) along with actual necessities. I may bake some cookies and send them to her. I will get books from the library if she wants them or magazines. Thank God she can still see! Her attitude is not great right now. She told my husband, “This is worse than WWII!” She was a WAVE in the war.

Louise, maybe you can send your grandchildren cards and letters or if you enjoy baking, make them some treats. I’ll bet they would enjoy corresponding with Grandma in this new way.

This is hard! We will all be going stir crazy after weeks of this but if we try and stay optimistic about it and find creative ways to cope, it will be so much more tolerable. I don’t mean to be preachy, but when you think about it, others have made much, much greater sacrifices for the common good, particularly in times of war. Surely we can get through this with our online social networks, cable TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, to name a few.

I would love to hear what others are doing while in “hunker down” mode.

Nandina

And I just remembered one more fact I recently heard. Although they initially thought this virus only affected older people, they have since noted that 40% of cases involve people ages 20-54.

Albatross

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html

Even though elderly and immunocompromised people will likely face a harder recovery, all ages can carry it and all ages can get very sick from it.

I live in a part of the US popular with Spring Breakers. The students and the business owners who cater to them unfortunately did not heed social distancing advice. I saw one college student interviewed who said, "I'm not worried if I get it -- I'm young, I'll be fine." (Young AND stupid!)

Not surprisingly, there are new cases of coronavirus among college students who traveled to Spring Break -- and brought the virus home with them.

Last edited: