CRAFT and Harm Reduction....weigh in please.

StillStanding

We don't really have an equivalent to "Sober Living Houses" in Canada.

I don't like the idea of "Harm Reduction" but I do support it. I want my son to be sober and a contributing member of society. But, I have to accept that if that isn't the case, I have minimum hopes: not a criminal, not getting a disease from his lifestyle, not being homeless, not going hungry... harm reduction helps with this.

BusynMember

The idea of harm reduction to me sounds less hopeful than guiding them to sobriety and health. I have seen that this is possible. No addict can truly be safe...i know reduction. But it doesnt set right with me...i would be unhappy if this were the main treatment around. People do get sober.

StillStanding

The Harm Reduction program that I saw has a goal of sobriety. But, basically, they believe that the rigid requirements of 12 step (complete sobriety) actually turns some young people away from help. They promote sobriety and demonstrate the problems with substance abuse but if the client isn't ready, they help with reduction.

BusynMember

I dont understand how much can be done if they still use. There are programs other than 12 Step that do not promote looking away from substance abuse in the home. Substance abuse is so dangerous...its not just about ODing but about the dangerous friends...that system of tolerating drug use at home would not have motivated my dsughter to quit. Arent there other options besides CRAFT? What if it doesnt help? There are no rehabs? What happens ehen they are adults? Any help besides CRAFT?

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
The idea of harm reduction to me sounds less hopeful than guiding them to sobriety and health. I have seen that this is possible. No addict can truly be safe...i know reduction. But it doesnt set right with me...i would be unhappy if this were the main treatment around. People do get sober.
SWOT I am so in your boat. It is delaying the inevitable and allowing my Difficult Child tocrhink grrting a little high is ok....ITS NOT! Plain and simple.

susiestar

Roll With It
The original question was to follow the so called expert with the experience in running a restaurant and some sort of certificate (which actually gives you a TON of experience in managing addicts because you end up with a lot of employees who are using) or the actual expert with 10 years of experience, well, I would do what the person with 10 years of experience in getting people sober was telling me. This only makes sense,

I think your instincts are telling you this also. From your other posts, you have been highly unsatisfied with shat these CRAFT people have been saying. It goes against your instincts. The times I made the biggest mistakes in my life, and with my kids, and the times I went against my instincts. Don't ever go against your instincts. You have them for a reason. Trust them. I don't really give a dang what anyone or any organization says, or why they say it. If my instincts say something different, I will go with my instincts every time. You should do the same thing with your instincts. Especially when the organization is showing so little common sense as to teach people that you can get 'a little' high (is that like "a little' pregnant? either you are or you are not!) and it is okay. This group sounds like some of the committees of teachers that did textbook approvals and got schools stuck with textbooks with incorrect grammar spelling words that are not spelled correctly! (My parents are teachers - I love teachers - but not all of them.)

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
An addict cannot get a "little high".

They cannot use anything to alter their mind period.

A drink or a joint puts my son right back on the path to abusing pills.

I don't think they can do it that way. I know he can't; that's for sure.

That thinking makes no sense to me unless you are NOT an addict.