Custody of Grands

skittles

Hello everyone, just posting update and wondered how other grandparents handle suddenly raising young ones again, especially online school! For those familiar with my story I now have temporary care of two of my grands, my son has the other three. Its been a busy month to say the least. Main problem is mom has been very distant, i try to set up zoom calls almost daily but shes always has an excuse to not talk to the kids. For someone so adament of keeping the kids before she seems very remote. I hurt for the kids, they dont understand this. However mom has lots of time to text me to threaten, shes angry that shes losing her child benefits and said her lawyer is filing a motion to get the benefits back from us(i dont think revenue canada allows that though), and taunts me how im never going to see the kids again once she gets them back. My son is going to apply for permanent custody, im appalled at the learning deficit these kids have. Mom hasnt had them in school since beginning of last March, and school was not a priority before that either. She is signed up for emergency housing so once she has housing, I beleive if she gives a good enough story as to how shes going to address education, she will likely get them back. Theres so many on the housing list it could be awhile though. I hope my son can get custody eventually, now that hes proving himself as a capable parent, I think theyl take his custody case more seriously than in past. Anyhow just an update and thankyou for the support.

AppleCori

Hi Skittles!

I’m glad to hear that the kids are back and that your son is stepping up to his responsibilities. I hope that they will grant him permanent custody! Will your son be able to eventually take the two that are currently in your custody?

Make sure to keep all those threatening and abusive texts from your ex-daughter in law, and record every attempted Zoom meeting that you have tried to set up and what her excuses for not attending are.

You may need to hold the kids back a year if they are too far behind to catch up. That really wouldn’t be the end of the world, and may be the best thing for them. I’m not a fan of pushing kids on when they aren’t ready. The best thing that you can do is make sure that they read and are read to on a daily basis. I can give you some book ideas if you aren’t sure what books are out there at their level.

I don’t have any grandchildren, but my brother has had to take in a couple of his grandkids a few times. It’s tough. I hope you will get some responses from others who have dealt with this!

I’m not sure why the ex-daughter in law would think she should get the money when she doesn’t have custody of the kids! It sounds like the $$ is her main concern, not the kids.

Keep us updated on the situation.

I’m so happy for you and your family.

Apple

Copabanana

shes angry that shes losing her child benefits
I agree this seems to be her primary motivation. This is terrible that all she cares about is tormenting you. The kids are a means to an end. It's all about her.

im appalled at the learning deficit these kids have. Mom hasnt had them in school since beginning of last March, and school was not a priority before that either.
I agree with Apple. Document everything. Save the texts. Document the delays the kids have.

Skittles. I'm thrilled for your son, for the kids, and for you. Thank you for the update.