Daughter's father passed on Friday

KTMom91

Hello all, I don't post much, since Miss KT is grown and doing well, but I check in frequently. Miss KT's father passed away in his sleep Friday night. He was only 61. No idea about cause of death as of yet. She lives 800 miles away and is getting the calls from the funeral home etc. because she is next of kin. His mother is still living and is dealing with everything as best she can. There's still some bad blood between me and Grandma, though Miss KT's father and I divorced nearly 25 years ago. I would still be willing to help if asked.

Just trying to support my kid as she goes through this. If you have good thoughts to spare, send them Miss KT's way. Thanks in advance.

Copabanana

Dear KTMom

I am sorry for your daughter that she has lost her Dad, and I understand the worry when this kind of thing happens. Not knowing what to to do and how to support her. I don't know what you should do but I can tell you what I would have wanted from my own mother.

I believe you are already there for her in the way that she needs which is the deepest and most constant love and softest and strongest of shoulders to support her. You are her backbench. You have always been there for her and always will be. She knows this. I know that you communicate this, with words or wordlessly every day.

lovemysons

Dear KTMom,

Definitely sending good thoughts. I don’t know what your daughter’s relationship was with her dad but I do know what it’s like to lose a dad that was never the father figure I wished I had.

Mine past away a few years ago in his early 60’s. I went to the funeral and cried painful tears for all that we had missed together and would never share.

I met my dad around 17 years of age and he was a self absorbed alcoholic...who acted like he didn’t owe me an apology. I went through a very rough time for awhile in my teen years...even suicidal.

In any event, death can feel like a flood of loss...not just for those who have had a close relationship but even for those who wish they had one at all.
I’m really sorry your daughter will be experiencing a great loss in her life.

love and prayers for time to ease the pain

Nandina

KTMom, I send my good thoughts to your daughter, who will have a lot of responsibility as next of kin. As one who has been through the same situation when my mother passed suddenly, I remember just being on “auto-pilot” during that time, making funeral arrangements and accommodating out of town guests with very little time to grieve. I hope she will welcome your support, and also pay attention to her own self-care as she deals with the loss of her dad.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
KTMom, sending good thoughts to both you and your daughter. I'm sure it's also confusing for you too. You are there to support her so that's a very good thing. I haven't had to do anything like she's having to do but I know if I did having my other parent there for support would be invaluable.