--Eleanor--

Hi all:

I've been busy and haven't posted much lately, but I wanted to follow up on medication issues that various people discussed here about a month ago. I had very mixed feelings about ritalin, regular and extended release, because my son ranged from irritable to irrational when coming off it.

I was hesitant to try Daytrana because I figured it would cause the same problem, as it is the same stuff, just delivered differently. I'm so glad we finally tried it, though. Works for concentration, but no afternoon/evening come-down problems after the patch comes off! :thumb:

KateM

Great to hear this is working for your son! I've heard lots of good reports about Daytrana. Several years ago, my difficult child was on Dexidrine whch helped so much -- but the rebound was awful! Glad your son is reaping the benefits of this medication without the "come down" problems!

crazymama30

We have had good results with this medication too, in conjunction with Lamictal. Sometimes difficult child will get a little grouchy in the evenings or extra sensitive, but not all the time. I think it helps that it is released more smoothly and evenly throughout the day.

--Eleanor--

If only my insurance company could see the difference... As far as it is concerned, it is just ritalin, and they will only pay for the cheap form of it. Oh, well. It is worth it to me to pay the extra and avoid the come-down.

Indianamomof4

I wish it would work for mine :frown: Can you tell me more about lamictal? My son cannot seem to tolerate any stimulants at all and on the patch he would not eat (only 10 mg), he became irrational and unpredictable, and very sad. He would not eat for an entire weekend when he was wearing the patch.

smallworld

Lamictal is an anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer that works best for the depressive end of bipolar disorder. It is not an ADHD medication. I have two children on Lamictal, and they are doing very well on it. But their mood issues far outweigh any ADHD symptoms they have.

Eleanor, congrats on the Daytrana success!