December check-in

Wiped Out

Staff member
December is coming up in a couple of days and I know a lot of us face challenges with healthy eating during December especially.

Maybe it would be a good idea to check in with one another once a week during the month to share how we are doing-the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe posting about upcoming obstacles would be a good idea and what are plan is to overcome them?

First off-Congrats to Mary for getting back to the gym:)

I just went back to boot camp yesterday for the first time since my stress fracture in May. I am so sore but it is good to be back!

My obstacle for the upcoming week? Saturday night I'm going to dinner at a friend's. It will be hard for me to turn down the food so I plan on working on portion control-wish me luck!

My goal is to somehow lose 5 pounds before the end of 2011~

Anyone else interested in a weekly check in during December?

Ma Kettle

***raises hand*** Me, me, pick me! I'm in. Since the 'stuff hit the fan' with Halfpint, I stopped going to my 3 days a week workouts. But I went last night (and made HP hang out in the waiting room of the gym). I am tired of missing things in my life just because she can't be trusted to be home alone. Besides, shouldn't the endorphins make me feel happier so I am not so annoyed by my difficult child? So I took the gym back, and will be going again Wednesday. My goal is to look really good in this purple sexy dress I bought to wear out New Years Eve.

Cheers!

Ma Kettle

buddy

My problem is the cold, I use it as an excuse. I even have an exercise partner I can use here, and a work out room...and I still have let it slide since summer when I was swimming, biking, walking daily. Losing weight in a healthy way. Now I have lost more weight but it was stress, not eating kind of thing. I know for holidays, I will not eat well, due to this stress making my appetite go away, and then when I see the snacks I will pig out.

I think a weekly check in would be a wonderful idea.

Great idea! Count me in too!!

Ever since we moved in August, I've been stressed to the max and for me, the more stress, the more "pigging out" I do. The good news is that I made it through all of yesterday eating healthy. The bad news is that I haven't started exercising yet.

My obstacles are the weekends. husband started his new job Monday and is staying in PA weeknights. He'll be returning to OH to spend the weekends with easy child/difficult child 3 and I. Saturday nights are going to be "date nights" and husband and I are looking forward to going out for leisurely dinners. While I plan on enjoying my evenings out with him, I know I need to practice portion control and cut calories where I can.

My goal through December is just to get back on track with healthy eating and start using the exercise room at this apartment complex.

Wishing everyone a healthy week... SFR

Wiped Out

Staff member
Yeah, Mary, MaKettle, Buddy, and SFR!! Any other joiners?

Mary-Good for you getting back to your workouts!

MaKettle-I think it's great that you took back the gym!!! Good goal to have-Great to have something to shoot for.

Buddy-I'm glad you are joining us! Please be sure to be taking care of you with all the stress (I know it is much easier to say than do). (((hugs)))

SFR-Good for you getting back on the healthy eating track!! I think Saturday night date night is a great idea! If you keep the healthy eating up through the week I think a night a week of splurging is a o.k.:)

trinityroyal

Me too, me too please!

I could really use the motivation. I've been very good about eating healthfully for the last several weeks. Mainly by making best efforts to keep the bad stuff out of the house.
I've also been experimenting with baking, trying to convert recipes to make them lower-cal, lower-carb, lower-fat.

I've had really good success with cheesecakes. I've tried several out with friends, not telling people they were "diet" cheesecake. No one could tell the difference. Let me know if anyone's interested in the recipe.

No, where I've been falling down lately is with workouts. For a while there I was running 5K every day. Then one day I had to skip my workout for some reason--I can't even remember why now -- but my workouts have been sporadic at best ever since. I work run on a treadmill in my basement, so it's not as if I even have to leave the house to go to a gym. But it's too toasty-warm in the bed, and the floor is cold, and my workout clothes are waaaaay over there, and my shoes are... you get the idea.

I need a virtual kick in the pants to get back on that treadmill.

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
Trinity-I totally understand the needing a virtual kick so consider yourself kicked, gently, of course:) I've never been good at using home equipment (for some reason I find tons of other things to do-lol)

The cheesecakes sound delish! I would love the recipe!

M

ML

I want the recipies trinity please.

I will join you. I have lost and gained the same 10-15 so many times I've lost count. I'm starting to creep back up due to some stress eating. I'm reading the book Intuitive Eating which came out a few years ago and a gal friend asked me to try it with her. I just got it but I think it requires some journaling to try and identify emotions that are sometimes confused with "hunger". I just need to get back into that zone. I have kept up walking during lunch hours.. I walk about 2 miles 4 times a week. It's not enough. I too have a treadmill but I've been unmotivated. Manster and I just made a pact to start doing the treadmill next week together.

Wiped Out

Staff member
ML-It is hard to get in the zone when you are not ready. I do know for me that when I journal I do so much better!!

I think it's great that you and Manster will start doing the treadmill together:)

trinityroyal

I will post the recipe as soon as I get home today, as I don't have it here at the office.

Thank you for the virtual kicks. They're already helping. I managed to fit in a 5K slow run this weekend, and feel better already. Motivation is coming back, if a bit slowly.

KTMom91

Just got back from the doctor (I have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)), but the good news is...

I'm down 5 pounds from last week! Guess the herbal supplements are making a difference in my metabolism!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Trinity-Good for you for running this weekend!!!:cheerleader:

Mary-Congrats on losing 5 pounds:you_go_girl:Sorry about the Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

Even though it didn't show at the scale I've continued with my healthy eating and exercising but have to admit I was feeling a bit down that I didn't see more of a loss (went down not quite a pound).

Saturday night I didn't do so well with my healthy eating at the dinner party but I did pass up dessert and snacks!

How is everyone doing? Any obstacles you are expecting to encounter this week?

I think my toughest day will be on Saturday at husband's family's Christmas party and the fact that we are traveling all weekend.

Ma Kettle

Hi Wiped Out- Don't get down on yourself for being 'good' food/exercise wize and not seeing results. It will probably sneak up on you and show up in a week or so. And maybe not on the scale, but just around the middle somewhere (take measurements of your neck, waist, hips, not just the scale). DON'T GIVE UP!! I'm rooting for you (and everyone else, too!)

I have to admit I fell, someone kind soul at work brought in a donut I could not resist. Also, have had some emotional koi with Halfpint, and I am an eater when I am upset. I tried on the sexy dress (and got whistled at by hubby! woot woot). Hoping that helps me get back on track. Was going to go to the gym tonight, but had a bad session with Halfpint, Pa and psychiatrist today, and just couldn't drag myself there. I bet it would have made me feel better, but I just didn't do it. I will post about what happened another time. I started and I just feel to sad to even write about it yet.

Sending out best wishes for everyone and their goals. Keep chipping away!

Ma Kettle

husband and I enjoyed our leisurely dinner out last Saturday. It was wonderful to spend some quality time together after being apart during the week. Normally I avoid the bread basket and order a drink instead. Not this time. I also had two cheese stuffed mushrooms and another drink. I'm sure I already ate a full meal's worth of calories, probably more, even before our salads arrived. And that was just the beginning...

On the positive side, I made it to the exercise room yesterday. It was really tough and I procrastinated way too long before going there but I did it. I spent 20 minutes on the elliptical and then walked for 35 minutes on the treadmill. I can't believe how out of shape I am!!

I'm determined (or at least I keep telling myself I am - Like Trinity, the motivation is coming back slowly) to get back in shape and purchased a new pair of running shoes yesterday. If I don't use them I'll feel extremely guilty about spending all that money. I told husband last night that he just bought me a Christmas gift. The company he works for provides financial incentives for getting in shape, staying healthy. Hoping this will be help motivate husband to join me.

I put a picture of husband and I on vacation on the end table near the sofa. At the time it was taken, I was in much better shape. I'm hoping that it'll serve as a constant reminder to stay out of the kitchen.

My most difficult day this week will be Saturday night when husband and I go out for dinner. I know I'll enjoy dinner out even more if I eat less.

Wishing everyone a healthy week!! We can do this together!! SFR

trinityroyal

Mary -- congratulations on the 5 lb loss. Good work.

Sharon -- I'm sure your hard work will start to show on the scale soon. I notice that it takes about 10 days before I see results on the scale, even when I can see the changes in my body.

Ma Kettle -- I don't think I've seen you in this forum before. Welcome! Getting a whistle from a hub is always a great motivator. You can do it.

SFR -- I find that new running shoes are a pick-me up too. Enjoy your dinner with husband on Saturday without guilt. Something I do when I go out to eat sometimes is to ask for a take-out container at the beginning of the meal. I put half of each dish (except for soup) in the container before I even start eating. That way I can enjoy an appetizer, entre and dessert without stuffing myself or over-doing it

Slowly but surely, my motivation is growing. Tyrannosaur and Tyrantina were up at 4 am this morning, and I needed to go in and see to them briefly. Instead of crawling back into bed (my usual M.O lately), I went down to the kitchen to pack a healthy lunch, and then to the basement for a run. Another slow-paced 5K, and then 30 min of core strength work, but I'm starting to feel energized again. Yay!

Keep up the good work everyone. We can do this!

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
MaKettle-Thanks for the kind words. I know you are right, sometimes it is just so hard to be patient!:) Sorry today was such a rough one. Fresh donuts are hard to pass up and I'm also an emotional eater so sending understanding hugs your way.

SFR-I love companies like your husband's that give incentives for being healthy! Remember if you enjoy Saturday night with some extra food it's o.k. to splurge now and then.

Trinity-I'm so proud of you for not crawling back to bed like you wanted to!!

Trinity, I'm really impressed with how well you're doing - Way To Go!! It's especially difficult when you have young children to find enough time alone to exercise. I love your idea about asking for a take- out container before eating! Thanks for sharing!

Ma Kettle, One thing that always seems to help me stay on track is to keep a favorite swimsuit, pair of jeans, dress, etc. in plain sight. I try the garment on weekly and become more motivated as the clothing becomes less tight. Sort of like what you're doing with your sexy dress. Love that your husband is supporting you - A whistle from him is the best motivator there is!!

Sharon (WO), Thanks for reminding me it's OK to splurge on Saturday night's out. It would have been OK if I didn't take the concept of splurging to the extreme, lol...!! I'm going to do much better this weekend - I'm asking for a take-out container and don't want to have to tell all of you that I "pigged out" again, lol...

Ma Kettle

Okay Decembers...
Haven't seen a post in a few days on this, so I thought I would be the word of encouragement, or the kick in the pants (your choice) you may need...

So, it's almost halfway through the month, how are you doing? Have you been going to they gym, eating healthy, drinking your cups of water and getting your needed amounts of sleep?

If not, it is never to late. You don't have to wait until Monday, a new day starts tomorrow. Better yet, start today. Did you decide it's too hard to do this month? That's okay, too. Don't beat yourself up over it. It's a tough month, full of many stress triggers (and good food, and extra errands to run). If you can, just choose one item to work on (plenty of sleep is as important and going to the gym, or eating healthy.)

It's getting late here, so hopefully what I am trying to say is coming out correctly. I am just wishing you well.

Ma Kettle

buddy

Well, I was feeling scared, I ate some holiday cookies, but have been really good about eating meals and forcing veggies. So, I had to do laundry and since I needed to go buy new pants I had to wash them...(yeah me, got two pair at salvation army.... for less than $5, one with tags on!) I grabbed a pair of shorts I have never worn since i bought them to wear while I washed. I think I grabbed the wrong size last summer when I bought them, and when I got home they were no way gonna fit. So I put them on to do laundry (I dont normally wear shorts in dec. lol) and they are loose! yipee!!!!

sounds like you guys are doing so great. I have found myself wanting more spice in food, not hot, I dont eat really hot food, but it is interesting how things change. I need to know how to cook more mexican and spanish foods