Diabetic guests

InsaneCdn

Hi, me again :D

I'm used to being the one that makes the desserts for get-togethers, and I do like to bake up all sorts of ... let's just call them "not a 'single' calorie" treats... fudge, pie, tarts, fruit cake,... you get the picture.

I'm bringing dessert tomorrow. Can't bring any of my usuals, as we don't want the diabetic guest to feel left out. I know I can do things like fruit salad, but... I want something "showy"... something that's actually a treat, not just the same old boring stuff.

Any creative cooks out there used to making dessert for diabetics?

Copabanana

pie, tarts, fruit cake,... you get the picture.
Oh my, Insane, I am wanting your fruit cake recipe.

I have no experience baking for diabetics but I know the diet.

At first I thought of a fruit pizza. My uncle made that, but the shortbread crust has sugar in it. And a lot of butter.

I am thinking a trifle could do it, in a big glass bowl, where you can see the layers. That is very showy. You could do different fruit layers, with graham cracker crumbs, or angel food cake, or something else like that.

Or you could put nuts as a layer.

Or you could put a fruit salad together like a trifle in a glass bowl, where you can see the layers of the different fruits, or layers of different fruits of the same color.

Like a berry layer, a white layer with pears, a green layer with melon, and orange layer. You get the point. Each layer can have a certain flavor. Mint is really good in fruit salad.

Let us know what you decide.

I love fruit cake but have never found my go to recipe.

COPA

InsaneCdn

The problem isn't just sugar. It's about having recipes that are "designed" for diabetics. Stuff that people KNOW they like. If this was the middle of August when it's good and hot out and fruit is in season, I'd do something like fruit salad and sugar-free merangues. But... this is the middle of winter, when traditional holiday fare is the norm. What's the "norm" for diabetics?

Copabanana

Insane, I googled winter dessert recipes for diabetics and I found this (which sounds delicious). It might inspire you.

COPA

Coconut-Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Coconut Sauce

• Makes: 9 servings
  • Serving Size: of the bread pudding and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce
  • Carb Grams Per Serving: 33

Ingredients
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 10 slices light Italian bread, such as Village Hearth brand, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 13 1/2 - 14 - ounce can unsweetened light coconut milk
  • 1 1/3 cups fat-free milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
  • Flaked coconut, toasted (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart square or rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl toss bread cubes with the 1/2 cup coconut. Spread mixture in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread cubes are dry and lightly toasted, stirring once. Remove from oven; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
  3. In a very large bowl whisk together 1 cup of the coconut milk, 1 cup of the fat-free milk, the pumpkin, egg whites, and vanilla. Whisk in the 1/2 cup sugar, the pumpkin pie spice, and 1/8 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Stir in toasted bread cube-coconut mixture.
  4. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
  5. For the sauce, in a medium saucepan stir together the 2 tablespoons sugar (if using), the cornstarch, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk in the remaining coconut milk and the remaining 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Cook and stir over medium heat just until boiling. Gradually stir half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks. Add egg yolk mixture to coconut milk mixture in saucepan; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add the sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar (if using), the 2 tablespoons coconut, and the butter, stirring until butter is melted. Serve warm over bread pudding. If desired, garnish with additional toasted coconut.

Tip
  • *Sugar Substitutes: Choose from Splenda Granular, Truvia Spoonable or packets, or Sweet 'N Low bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amounts equivalent to 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar.
Tip
  • PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 166 calories, 20 g carbohydrate, 9 g total sugar Exchanges: 0 other carb. Carb Choices: 1
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 9
PER SERVING: 213 cal., 7 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 43 mg chol., 257 mg sodium, 33 g carb. (3 g fiber, 22 g sugars), 7 g pro.
Diabetic Exchanges
Other Carb (d.e): 1; Mark as Free Exchange (d.e): 0; Lean Meat (d.e): 0.5; Fat (d.e): 1.5; Starch (d.e): 1

Copabanana

I looked again.

There is the recommendation to use custard in a winter dessert. What about a trifle with fruit and a not too sweet cake, and custard layers?

My mother made a trifle with peaches and with vanilla wafer cookies and boiled egg custard which was delicious. You could substitute another fruit for peaches.

A trifle is a delicious and showy dessert.

COPA

Copabanana

On the Eating Well website, just google diabetic winter dessert recipes, there are recipes for honey almond cake and spiced orange compote served with angel food cake. They sound delicious. And others.

It looks like some sweet is allowed. And some flour, but not much. I love cakes with ground nuts instead of flour. Like tortes.

What about a torte with ground almonds. Oh my.

COPA