difficult child Is Not An Equal

B

Bunny

I hate when he thinks this. husband told difficult child to go to his room because he was carrying on and none of us wanted to listen to it anymore. His answer, as usual, was no. Later, after difficult child cooled off a little, I told him that when either his father or I tell him to do something he has to do it. We are the parents and he is the child. We are not equals.

His answer? "We're all equals in this house and I don't have to listen to you."

Yeah. He'll figure out that he's quite wrong when he loses privlidges for not listening.

Teenage years are going to be very long

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sigh...I know how that is. difficult child doesn't even think he is our equal; he thinks he is in charge!

B

Bunny

Actually, I'm surprised that difficult child said "equal" because he usually thinks that he's the one in charge, too.

His line is, "You can't control me." Ummmm...yes, I can. And if he doesn't believe it, just let him try me. He will never know what hit him.

KTMom91

Miss KT used to say, "You're not the boss of me." Was she ever surprised! And yes, the teenage years were very long...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Our difficult child's favorite response to us (and anyone who tried to tell her anything) was "You're not the boss of me, you know!"

Lol, so funny. Wasn't funny then though and I agree, the teen years were very long.

keista

I hate when he thinks this. husband told difficult child to go to his room because he was carrying on and none of us wanted to listen to it anymore. His answer, as usual, was no. Later, after difficult child cooled off a little, I told him that when either his father or I tell him to do something he has to do it. We are the parents and he is the child. We are not equals.

His answer? "We're all equals in this house and I don't have to listen to you."

Yeah. He'll figure out that he's quite wrong when he loses privlidges for not listening.

Teenage years are going to be very long
Have you tried turning this around on him? If he's an equal is he paying his equal share of expenses? Is he doing his equal share of the household chores and yardwork? He wants to be treated equal, he must behave equal.

It doesn't always work with a difficult child, but does get them thinking.

B

Bunny

Keista, actually, that is something that I've never thought of. Hmmmm...definately something to think about. Thanks!!

KTMom91

You know, I'd forgotten about that...I did pull that on Miss KT...a third of the house payment, a third of the electric bill, a third of the phone, a third of the necessary chores...and she didn't like it at all. Toned her down for a while.