difficult child will be starting BuSpar

TerryJ2

We finally met with-the psychiatrist today and told him about difficult child's tight chest and breathing problems, and how they hit him several times a day. Both therapist and psychiatrist think it's panic attacks, so psychiatrist suggested Prozac. I nixed that because of difficult child's prior problems.
We are discontinuing the Imiprimine. And the seroquel.
I'll let you know what happens. I think it takes a couple of wks.:sigh:

InsaneCdn

There's better stuff than Prozac for panic attacks.
Our psychiatrist does use it for anxiety - but more the "baseline" kind of anxiety - the "always anxious about something"... it takes the edge off.

But... no fun getting stuff out of the system to try something else. In the mean time... no PRN medications to fall back on?

SuZir

My difficult child also started BuSpar this Wednesday for anxiety. His first psychiatric medication ever.

Hoping it is a good fit both your difficult child and mine.

TerryJ2

Me too, Suzir!
Insane, I have no idea why the psychiatrist suggested Prozac. He said that antidepressants work with serotonin levels and that helps anxiety, but he didn't go into a huge amt of detail.
In the meantime, he can still use clonidine.

StressedM0mma

difficult child takes Buspar for her anxiety, and she said that it really helps. She takes it 2x a day. And, she said she noticed a difference after just a couple of days. Hope it helps

Buspar is a good one fopr anxiety. I never could take Prozac or anything from that class of drugs, including Zyprexa, they all gave me such bad side effects, like I was jumping out of my skin. Buspar was the only thing- also Kolonolpin and Serequel -that really did the job without making me feel weird.

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child has been on it since August. For him it doesn't seem to be working very well. His anxiety still gets really high.

TerryJ2

We were at the drive in window at Taco Bell yesterday and difficult child put his hand to his chest and said, "There it goes."
I shoveled through my purse for a pill but by the time I found everything, he said it had passed.
Sigh.

DammitJanet

If my memory serves me, Buspar is a medication that has to be taken daily like an AD so it builds up in your blood stream to work. In fact I think it is some form of an AD.