Do you have any "naked" windows?

trinityroyal

Plain white roller blinds in all of the bedrooms, white "silhouette" sheer blinds on the bay window in the kitchen, lightweight white sheers in the living room and dining room, nothing on the basement windows, and TRULY HIDEOUS brown patterned curtains in the family room. As soon as the budget allows, the family room curtains MUST GO. Until then, there they hang. Of course, they match the hideous brown patterned wallpaper. (Previous owner had the curtains designed in the same pattern. Blech!)

Although we're on a corner, we have a lot of privacy. And the design of the house (lots of overhang on the roof to keep the sun away from the windows in summer, trees act as a wind break in the winter) helps to regulate the temperature in all seasons.

DDD

Somehow I thought maybe tinted glass was being used on "naked" windows, like they are on automobiles. In so many home magazines there is not a sign of a blind, shade, curtain etc. Guess if none of you have that...it must not be available or work.

Back in the l940's (YES, you read right..lol) my Uncle owned a few businesses in Wisconsin on Main Street. The outside glass was like a mirror and from the inside you could clearly see everything...including old ladies "fixing their hair or lipstick". Seems like houses could have that too.

I have sheers and verticals but I would love to have just plain walls and unencumbered glass. That would save alot of time and work. DDD

DammitJanet

There seems to be quite a lot going on on those the remodeling shows that does not carry over into real life. I saw a show yesterday and the couple had a 6 month old baby and wanted the designer to make over their living and dining room. Well okay. She did it in all these glass and mirror and objects on the tables. Totally inappropriate for a toddler. Left me thinking...take a picture and put all this stuff in the attic now and bring in some used furniture until jr is grown. LOL. I mean for gosh sakes....this woman commissioned an artist to make a one of a kind bowl as art work for their living room! I can just see it crashing down with a good game of toss the socks...lol.

DDD

That's really funny, Janet. When I was in my 30's I became friends with a beautiful, bright, funloving couple around 25. They bought a house in preparation for starting a family. When I saw it......I "almost" couldn't keep a straight face. It had glass tables everywhere and guess what their "color scheme" was??????? White on white! ;) DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thanks to paranoia about BM, the only nekkid windows we have are the deck doors and the laundry room. Oh, and the garage - if you count that.

I made curtains for my room, both difficult children' rooms, the bathroom, and the kitchen as well as the downstairs family room and spare bedroom. Bought the ones in the upstairs living room (huge picture window that faces the street - ugh - pretty but I don't want people looking in!) Actually the downstairs didn't have any until last summer, when difficult child 1 said she thought people were watching her at night. No worries - got it covered!

I want those door curtains that are lace and have a rod at both top and bottom for the deck doors. So I'm waiting till I find some... Could be a while. We've lived there for 4 years...

Lothlorien

Janet, that kid is probably gated off from those rooms and probably won't be allowed in those rooms for the next fifteen years!

We didn't even have a coffee table in our living room until about a year ago....nevermind glass top. When I lived on my own, before getting married and having kids, I had a glass top table and those things are very hard to keep clean. I bought windex every week just about. I can only imagine the fingerprints, drool and stickiness on a glass top with a toddler. OY!

Star*

call 911........call 911
WIndows like people should not go naked.....I mean who really wants to see your glass from the road?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
When husband & I were going thru our homestudy the first thing the adoption SW looked at was the color of our walls, our furniture & the layout of our home. Was it kid friendly?

Janet I saw some of those same shows & think if the tweedles were there that place would be trashed in less than 10 minutes. My gawd what are those decorators thinking? Heck, much of it isn't the real world anyhow. When I started the remodel here I had to promise the contractor if I wanted to stay in budget to stop watching HGTV. :rofl: