Do you remember when...?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh yes! I hated those nasty rubber pants but I suppose they were better than nothing. I have the utmost respect for generations that have gone before us that didn't even have those nasty rubber pants.

Pink Elephant

Oh yes! I hated those nasty rubber pants but I suppose they were better than nothing. I have the utmost respect for generations that have gone before us that didn't even have those nasty rubber pants.
You said it! Respect from me as well! I can't imagine using cloth diapers without rubber pants!

Related to changing a kid with a plain old wet diaper, I never minded the rubber pants, but it was when a kid messed so bad that the mess would escape from the diaper and into the rubber pants... now that changed everything! LOL!

Pink Elephant

Oh the horror of it all.
:beafraid:
I remember whisking a kid with full pants off to the bathroom, standing them inside the bathtub, and dropping their diapers right there... right on the spot!

A waist-down bath followed, a quick towel-dry, and a clean diaper and pair of rubber pants were applied, because tempting the change outside of a secure area was only welcoming a bad curse! LOL!

Pink Elephant

Thanks to this conversation, I'm remembering the plasticy rustling sound those rubber pants would make when changing a diaper! LOL!

Nothing made a better plasticy sound! LOL! I always tended to pull them off in a no-nonsense fashion (speedily), which of course made the pants sound even louder, but my favourite was, after the diaper was fastened, I'd take the rubber pants and just as one does to towels and things when hanging them on a clothesline (a smart snap in the air to get the wrinkles out before pinning to the line), I'd do the same to the rubber pants before putting them on the child (POOF), and that plasticy sound could be heard from the baby room at the very end of the hallway, all the way down to the kitchen! My dear mom confirmed it one evening! LOL!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I just found a family photo of myself in said cloth diaper and rubber pants. I remember the sound they made as a toddler walking and learning to potty train.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Anyone else remember the crazy plastic fruit (bananas, oranges, grapes, etc) that used to grace everyone's kitchen or dining room tables? I haven't seen plastic fruit in years!
OMG... We have plastic grapes I got as a gag gift!! Actually I do believe they were thrown out... But they do sell them at Wal-Mart!

Hopscotch... MUST teach Rose. SO much fun!

Preps, jocks, nerds, goths... And then there was me. I didn't fit in anywhere.

Amity

Inthe early 80s my family used cloth onmy 2 siblings to save money. My dad worked as a sheriff and loved his job. But it just didn't make a whole lot and saving any Penny helped. One night he watched us kids a rare occurrence for sure. Had to change one of those wonderful cloth diapers and managed to flush the diaper down the toilet, clogged it all up. Nasty nuances it was too clean and fix the toilet. I think after that he got a second job and we went to disposables permanently.

Pink Elephant

I just found a family photo of myself in said cloth diaper and rubber pants. I remember the sound they made as a toddler walking and learning to potty train.
What an awesome memory you have! Wow! I think I remember having my diaper changed in my crib, but just the one time, but as far as details go, I don't remember, but I sure do remember the sound from when my kids wore them, and babysitting.

Let's not forget the penguin-like waddle kids did, because those old cloth diapers with rubber pants were so bulky! LOL!

Pink Elephant

Inthe early 80s my family used cloth onmy 2 siblings to save money. My dad worked as a sheriff and loved his job. But it just didn't make a whole lot and saving any Penny helped. One night he watched us kids a rare occurrence for sure. Had to change one of those wonderful cloth diapers and managed to flush the diaper down the toilet, clogged it all up. Nasty nuances it was too clean and fix the toilet. I think after that he got a second job and we went to disposables permanently.
LOL! I had a few close-calls related to rinsing! As for my dear husband changing diapers, he was totally grossed out by it, so I always had to make sure the kids were freshly changed before I went out, and when I arrived back home again I was almost always welcomed with a dirty diaper to change.

Pink Elephant

Does anyone else remember cigarette rolling machines?

LOL! I remember giving my moms a try (late teen years) in an attempt to roll a cigarette for myself, and I failed ever so badly! Thinking back on it now, I'm convinced there was a learning curve involved.

Amity

Does anyone else remember cigarette rolling machines?

LOL! I remember giving my moms a try (late teen years) in an attempt to roll a cigarette for myself, and I failed ever so badly! Thinking back on it now, I'm convinced there was a learning curve involved.

Parents always rolled thier own and even convinced my ex husband to get into it. It was fun to watch but didn't really love the smell.
My kids did a great job at "packing" then for thier dad.
Our rollers went from the kind that came free with the tubes all the way to $100 dollar machines. Now my daughter's boyfriend uses one.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
They still sell them. I contemplated one for my Difficult Child AS but it is cheaper to purchase his cigarettes feom the reserve, and a lot less messy.

Triedntrue

Milk man brought milk to your house

Some had a bread man too

Grandparents had a farm we got to ride on the horse that pulled the wagon

Colored chicks at easter

Penny candy

Home made ice cream that you had to churn

Home made food

I remember many of the things others mentioned as well.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
husband and I rolled our own cigs for many years. We had a crank roller that used tubes, which husband would use to roll me a pack for work, but for the most part used hand rollers, papers, and filters.

One day, I was sitting in the passenger seat rolling husband a cig, raised it to my mouth to lick the glue strip, removed the cig from the roller, and handed it to husband...

At that point, the cop behind us pounced.

I showed him the roller, the papers, the bag of filters, and the bag of tobacco. He asked if he could search the car, and we said, "sure".

(Me warning him about catching himself on fishing hooks as we were on our way up to WI to go fishing for the day.)

I thought the cop was gonna turn himself inside out sniffing for weed, but he finally settled down and admitted that all we had was tobacco and what I rolled was indeed a cigarette.

We got into it when they first slapped very heavy taxes on cigarettes but hadn't yet started taxing loose tobacco. Cigs were about 40 dollars a carton, and you could roll a carton of cigs with decent tobacco for about 12 dollars.

By the time I quit smoking and went to vaping, I was spending about 400 dollars a month on cigs, as opposed to about 15 dollars a month on expendible vaping materials (coils and e-juice). (the hardware amortized, runs about 3 bucks a month)