Does anyone know?

mama2lexxie

What the results mean from the ADDES-3?
I have the report that was from the evaluation her teacher and I did last fall. I spoke to a teacher friend and she said she thought that her numbers {from what she could remember} were at the edge of what is considered normal. I hope I am making sense. Such as the 'average range' is 85-115 and we scored her at 87 & 89 which means {if I understand this right} she is right there yet they said she is fine and does not require services. However as we know ODD is not a stand alone disorder.
Thanks for any input, I faxed the report to the Psychologist but I do not have an appointment with her until the 20th. Unfortunately, patience is not my strong point.

Thanks!

Steely

When you are looking at something like these tests, which sounds like an IQ test, one of the important numbers to differentiate is the verbal vs non-verbal test scores. If there is a discrepancy more than 15 points between the 2 than you have a significant learning disorder. For instance my difficult children verbal was 130, but his non-verbal was 110........therefore he was diagnosis with a non-verbal learning disorder (NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)).
If her IQ is 85-100, overall, that is what is considered normal. Below that would be below average. Addes-3 is just another form of ADD, which cannot be diagnosis from an IQ test.

This is all what I recollect from years ago, so look this up for further confirmation.

mama2lexxie

I searched it any way I can think of online and I get nothing about what the numbers mean.
ADDES-3 stands for Attention Deficit Disorders Evaluation Scale - Third Edition so it is not a diagnostic test but gives them an idea {apparently} of her tendencies toward Hyperactive-Impluse and Inattentiveness. I should add that her teacher and I filled out the evaluation by stating that she does not do this or she does this several times per day/hour/week etc. For instance disrupting other students or not appearing to hear you when you give instructions.
Thanks so much for replying.

Steely

So what are the numbers you gave us? For what test? Evidently not an IQ test, but a...........???? test.

mama2lexxie

I am sorry to be confusing.
It says that standard scores of 7-13 and quotients between 85-115 are considered average on the ADDES-3. My question is in order for her to be considered ADHD should her numbers be below 95 or above 115? Her standard scores were 8 & 7 and 87 from my evaluation that I filled out. So it seems to me that she is at the low end of the scales.

smallworld

Based on every other test my kids have taken, I'm guessing that below 85 indicates a deficit (as in ADHD), not the other way around.

One thing you should be aware of is that kids can score on questionnaires as if they have ADHD, but in reality another disorder makes them appear inattentive, impulsive or hyperactive. Anxiety, bipolar disorder, and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) all fall into this category.

Only a skilled clinician will take the time to thoroughly evaluate the child and provide a differential diagnosis.

mama2lexxie

That is what I was looking for thank you.
She will be evaluated, I just wanted to understand what this report was saying.

Thanks to you both!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Not to be negative but I personally don't put much weight into the Teacher or SD tests scores. Both of our Daughter's have obvious issues, but our SD has lack of funds, so they will only "test out" the really severe children. Basically if your child is functioning, they will work the tests to make it so your child does not qualify.
If the outside tests say your child qualifies, push for services.
We have 2 sources that say our 4 yo needs services and at least 6 that say our 6 yo severely needs services. Yet neither one, according to the "school tests" qualified for anything!
Steely is right about the discrepancy as well, we had a 16 point variable. The SD would not even look at it... In our Neuro-psychiatric evaluation we have a 48 point discrepancy I think, one of the largest the tester had ever seen!!! It was in Focus/Attention and Visual concentration. SD could care less.
I wish you luck and say arm yourself with lots of knowledge!!! AND support, I had none at the time and backed down before I should have.

smallworld

Toto, from my reading of the situation, I think this test was administered by an outside (NOT SD) psychologist, but it was a questionnaire that both the parent and teacher needed to fill out. We've had to do that on occasion for our private neuropsychologists.

totoro

Oh... duh! Sorry. Didn't mean to go off on a rant!!! Maybe I have a Learning Disability (LD)???

witzend

P.S. - I think that it can be hard to judge on just one set of test scores, when a kid could be having a good or bad day, and perhaps even just uncooperative on any given day.

totoro

That is SO true Witz. Also depending on where they are on a medication, such as if they have just started one (cognitive dulling, sleepy, nauseous) or having a bad reaction or increasing one. It can really affect how one test is taken compared to another. Like most of you have said in the past, it is nice to have the long overall picture of our difficult child versus a quick snapshot.

mama2lexxie

The SD never saw her, they based everything on what the teacher & I filled out. Of course they skewed it to match their 'numbers' I totally know that now but at the time I didn't understand anything of the report they sent me and they never returned my phone calls.
Fortunately for my child and unfortunately for the SD I know several elected officials in my area and I am not afraid to call them as well as my State Rep who spends a lot of time in the city where I live as it is the County's Seat. Knowing what I know now, they will have a hard time blowing me off. The other thing that I believe makes them not pay attention to my child is that she doesn't attend public school but Catholic School.

Thanks so much for all your input! I really appreciate it.

Jamiemae

I saw some posts about the ADDES-3. Can someone help me figure out what the scores mean? What is the cutoff score or score range for an attention deficit disorder?