Dog ?

susiestar

Roll With It
If the dog fights too much, hold the pill with needle nose plier and hold the dog's mouth open. Use the pliers to put the pill back as far as you can and then shut his mouth fast. Rub his throat until he swallows several times. Praise him lavishly and give him a big treat.

I know the pliers may seem mean. they are meant to get the pill as far back as you can without you getting bitten. They won't hurt the animal at all. I have done this with dogs and cats.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Be careful with hot dogs: a lot of them are heavily seasoned, very fatty, and contain a LOT of chemicals, including loads of sodium.

Some dogs cannot tolerate them, even in small quantities, and adding projectile diarrhea to whatever your dog is being treated for, isn't very fair. Same goes for some types of lunchmeat.

Cheese is OK for the most part; as are small "meatballs" made from raw ground meat. (pork and poultry are fine. Trichinosis is no longer an issue in commercial pork in the US, and dogs can deal with raw poultry so long as they aren't immune-compromised. In fact, many top restaurants serve pork pink in the middle, and I've been eating it that way for years.)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If the dog fights too much, hold the pill with needle nose plier and hold the dog's mouth open. Use the pliers to put the pill back as far as you can and then shut his mouth fast. Rub his throat until he swallows several times. Praise him lavishly and give him a big treat.

I know the pliers may seem mean. they are meant to get the pill as far back as you can without you getting bitten. They won't hurt the animal at all. I have done this with dogs and cats.

Susie, for a few bucks, you can also order a "pilling gun" in sizes ranging from small cat all the way up to horse.

The ones you need for household pets are made of small plastic, and avoid the risk of mouth/teeth damage you get if the "victim" throws a fit while the pliers is in its mouth.

I tried the needlenose (jewelers') pliers years ago to pill a medium size dog, she blew up, and wound up damaging an upper tooth so badly it had to be pulled.

I have pilling guns (somewhere), but both my cats can be pilled by hand.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Here's a picture of the pilling gun I have:
51hPDKlaItL._SL1000_.jpg

PonyGirl65

We always used hotdogs or liverwurst to wrap the pill in.

For constipation issues with my beloved black lab, I mixed Pepto Bismal with plain yogurt. She loved it, and it helped a lot.

Best wishes for you & Gizmo!

~ Peace

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT,check around on Amazon, they come in several sizes and styles, depending on the beasts you are using them on, and the size of the pill to be given. I have the small on suitable for cats as Jakey RIP was one a lot of medications for his renal failure and he would attempt to take a finger off when you pilled him. I'd used great big ones for horses and wondered if they made little ones for compaion animals.

Found 'em first at Farm and Fleet for big dogs, and then hit Amazon and found cat-small dog sized ones.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We always used hotdogs or liverwurst to wrap the pill in.

For constipation issues with my beloved black lab, I mixed Pepto Bismal with plain yogurt. She loved it, and it helped a lot.

Best wishes for you & Gizmo!

~ Peace
Do not use Pepto in dogs without veterinary supervision.It contains salicylates,which are an NSAID,just like MetaCam,Rimadyl, Deramaax,etc. It especially should not be given to dogs on any "arthritis medications" o r painkillers unless recommended by a vet and dosages covered to the letter.

Canned solid-pack pumpkin is sort of a miracle plalnt as it treats BOTH constipation and uncomplicated diarrhea. Just get the dose needed from your vet, and be sure to buy plain solid pack.

I had a friend for many years who gave her dog pumpkin pie filling which turned into an unbelievable digestive distaster for the poor dog, who was hospitalized for a few days to kee it hydrated and to wait for the diarrhea to calm down.

pasajes4

His appetite seems to have returned, but only for McDonalds. My granddaughter was holding the little guy with one are, and eating a burger with her other hand. She was trying to switch arms and faster than you can say, "Bob's my uncle", he grabbed it and that burger was toast.

He is most unhappy today. His incision is healing and hair growing back. It is itching him something fierce. He can't get at it due to his cone. He is one royally ticked off pup.