"Don't Speak To Me!" and other catchphrases

trinityroyal

When Tyrannosaur gets upset, he looks at me with utter scorn, points his finger directly at me and says, "Don't speak to me. <pause> Don't SPEAK to me!"
(He also says it to husband, sundry siblings, shopkeepers and the world in general)

Cracks me up every time, which makes it VERY hard to maintain Stern Mummy demeanour.

So, do any of your children have catchphrases?

Tiapet

Old Hand
LOL, Love it! Mr. Busy & Ms Queen will use that one too but they will just keep right on blah blah blahing at the top of their lungs to me.

DammitJanet

When Cory was younger, say early elementary school, and we were first talking about Special Education he overheard us saying something about him being special. Well he piped up with "Of course Im special. Why wouldnt I be? Why wouldnt everyone want to be like me!" LOL

H

HaoZi

*sigh* Of late, Kiddo's favorite go-to phrase when she's mad at me is "F*****g B****!"

Star*

call 911........call 911
at the top of his bloody lungs.......STOP LOOKING AT ME.......(while we're at home of course and I think that went on to age 17) and in public......

at the top of his bloody lungs.......STOP HURTING ME, YOURE SQUEEZING MY ARM, OW OW OW.....OMG .........and I'd be about 10 feet from him. Like I said - You throw an adult temper tantrum on the floor of a Kmart ONE time when theyre about 4 years old? That ALL goes away *poof*

trinityroyal

Star, I giggle every time I think of you pitching a fit on the floor of KMart. I believe that would cure a temperamental toddler of anything.

Tyrannosaur and Tyrantina save their best meltdowns for home. They're always angelic when we go out, but step over the threshold and BAM! husband, who is a wonderful mimic, does a note-perfect imitation of Tyrannosaur when he gets going. Every "Don't SPEAK to me!", every whimper, every fuss is repeated back to him. I love the look on his little face when husband starts to copy him. It's a combination of confusion, indignation, and just a hint of laughter.

buddy

"I don't care" "Prove it." "Or else?"

And yes of course anyone here who has known me for the past year+, knows the go to is the lovely name calling......

A couple of q-isms include
Is that your perNaMent decision?
Just forget about the consequence and say yes because it's too hard.(while jumping pounding flapping etc....uggg.
Why don't you tell Mason or Josh....(ummm I'm not their mom)

lmf64

difficult child is good at calling me names. I ignore them most of the time, but it grates my last nerve sometimes.
My little niece, who is 4, used to say "I don't think so!" when she didn't want to do whatever she was told to do. I have to say when she was 1 or 2 it was cute, but after a while it got irritating because she was repeating what she heard from me and her parents.
Her brother, who is 6, still says "Ummmmm, NO!" when he doesn't like the suggestion/request/demand. Again, when he was little it was cute, but not so much anymore.

buddy

Oh......I forgot (I really did but that's a good one too, lol )

NO FAIR! (Whine makes it even better)
You always blame me! (dude, you're an only child)
I had a perfect day at school / my teacher always lies.
You Promised! (Nope, really careful not to ever promise with this guy)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
"I know this..." And then Jett goes on to tell you something he "knows" that is usually not true...
"Want me to tell you..." -Ahem, no, I don't. But you're gonna, anyway...
"It's laughable." This is a new one - for something that is funny or amusing. NOT laughable. It mostly stopped when I explained the difference.
"meggiemeggiemeggiemeggie" OMG, kid, that would NOT make me stop crying... It would make me try to drown you out.
"Love you miss you mostest" - this is something the kids did with bio, and now it is a game to see who can do it first. I bowed out because it made me uncomfortable, and Onyxx too - it's okay with Dad, but I'm "the other mom"...

H

HaoZi

Yep, I get a lot of "I hate you"s and "I forgot"s and "I didn't hear that"s. But let me mention the word "chocolate" and her hearing works just fine!

InsaneCdn

Chocolate. Yup - really good for the hearing. You need to use it more often.

As in "AFTER YOU CLEAN YOUR ROOM you can have some chocolate"

SuZir

Lately i have gotten a lot of
"Reeeaaally?"
"Who cares" and
"Whatever"
from easy child (well, of course not in English, but same idea) in very annoying voice.

difficult child used to be a bit more rude but idea was the same. He also used to tell me often how unfair something was. He has lately dropped most of that and in fact not that long ago he even once went back to something he used to say when he was your Tyrannosaur's age. At that time if we asked him to do something he didn't want to, he often told us that
"I can't, I'm still too little!"
Apparently we had told him that time or two. Some time ago I asked difficult child to do something that involved some heavy lifting and something that was high and he told me that one again. A boy is closer to six and half feet tall nowadays. :bigsmile: (Yeah, he did get some extra TLC after that one, couldn't help it. When he puts his mind to that he certainly knows how to play me :rofl:)

H

HaoZi

OMW... I swear I've developed this urge to use a rolled up newspaper to swat her every time I hear "Whatever." Or this talky motion this she does with her hand to indicate "whatever". I.just.want.to.smack.her. Like a dog that peed on the rug smack her.

InsaneCdn

The "talky" thing? I take that seriously. It means I am doing too much talking and not enough taking action. Not the message they are trying to deliver, but the "real" message.

difficult child can't handle listening to a 5-minute lecture when 5 words will do the job.