Drug Question - What is Molly?

Tiredof33

I was told that meth could make the user very aggressive. Mixing cocaine and alcohol together (both can make the user aggressive) has formed a new drug I had never heard of. I knew a couple that used cocaine and alcohol, I never saw them get aggressive, but I only saw them at social events.

"A new substance, cocaethylene, is formed when an individual abuses both cocaine and alcohol, according to Gold. This substance is more toxic than either alcohol or cocaine alone. It is unknown whether cocaethylene may escalate aggression."

I know of a lot of prescription pain pill abuse in our area, also meth and pot are very easy to find. A senior family member mixes pain pills and alcohol and thinks it's OK because her doctor prescribes them, not the alcohol lol! Family members close to her are trying to help her, it's a sad situation.

thomasc

Molly is slang for the crystalline form of MDMA. Typically it is purer than "ecstasy" pills and is less likely to be "cut" with other stimulants like amphetamine or caffeine - or contain other unknown substances - as MDMA is easily identifiable by its appearance/taste. Amphetamines ARE active orally. Adderall is a combination of 4 amphetamines and, as users of this forum would know, is also active orally.

MDMA isn't considered physically addictive, and most users will use it a few times in a casual setting with close friends. It's relatively safe in the short term however frequent/long term use leads to permanent changes in the brain and often leads to depression. The real danger in your son using MDMA is that he is exposed to other hard drugs, as kids who have access to it will absolutely have access to at the very least other stimulants like cocaine.

In this decade, using MDMA is a rite of passage among youth and experimental use on its own shouldn't be viewed with too much horror. Kids who abuse it aren't getting the same feeling from other sources, which is a powerful sensation of love and acceptance of others and more importantly of onesself. Parents would do well to figure out why their kids choose the drugs they do rather than fixate on rare side-effects and moral panic media coverage of possible overdoses.

erowid.org is an invaluable resource on psychoactive substances which includes unbiased information about effects, hazards, legal status, etc. including for newer synthetic drugs (bath salts, etc.).