Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA)

ahall

While browsing the web for other NA meetings for my son to attend in the area, I stumbled across something called Dual Recovery Anonymous (DRA). It is like AA and NA - but according to its website:

<font color = blue>Dual Recovery Anonymous is an independent, twelve step, nonprofessional, self-help organization for people with a dual diagnosis. Our goal is to help men and women who experience a dual illness. We are chemically dependent and we are also affected by an emotional or psychiatric illness. Both illnesses affect us in all areas of our lives; physically, psychologically, socially, and spiritually.</font>

My son was in a dual-diagnostic Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for 10 months and I never heard of this group. I can't believe no one ever mentioned it to him or to us. I have no idea if it will pan out, but found out from their website (they have a state by state listing of meeting locations just like AA and NA do) that there is a meeting place about 10 minutes from my home! My son is "supposed" to go to the meeting there tomorrow to see what it is like. If he goes, I will let you know how he liked it.

I just thought I would mention it - as so many of our childen have psychiatric disorders and then turn to drug.

Here is the link:
http://draonline.org/index.html

Deb

Excellent- thanks. Do you believe they don't even have one in NYC! Not that my difficult child is even close to ready for this, but someday....