Good Morning -

My 12 year old difficult child has been diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism (HFA), ADHD, ODD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). I happened to pick up a book on Early Onset Bipolar Disorder which I am almost positive he has and yet it has gone undiagnosed. Does anyone know anything about this or have a child who has been diagnosed with it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using ConductDisorders

TerryJ2

Lots of members have, and they will eventually show up. Maybe if you posted this note on the younger children's board you'd get more responses right away.
My difficult child is still diagnosed as Aspie-lite, and mood disorder, not otherwise specified, although I am convinced it is bipolar. He is 16. Most doctors are loathe to label kids unless there is a strong family history they can point to.

helpangel

Angel was 6yo when diagnosis bipolar, ODD & adHd... looking at the medications you listed in signature the only one she hasn't been prescribed for treatment of bipolar is visteril (not sure what it is) so in my opinion the medications he's taking would treat bipolar even if it hasn't been diagnosis'd.

The bipolar child by Papalos is a good resource for childhood onset bipolar.

Nancy

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child was diagnosed with bipolar when he was 7. I agree that the medications your difficult child are on are ones mine have been on for bipolar (except the visteril). Do you have specific questions about the early on set bipolar?

TerryJ2

Helpangel, my son was prescribed Vistaril for sleep. It's an antihistamine. Because you don't want to give kids sleeping pills. :)