easy child has made a huge decision

LittleDudesMom

For those of you who remember, easy child began her college "career" getting accepting into a prestigious art foundation program at a university with the intent of majoring in photography. About 1/2 way through the first year she began to feel she made a mistake. Since it was a fine arts degree and an art foundation program, it required an intensive first year of sculpture, drawing, painting, etc....

I told her to stick with it the first year since she had made the commitment to the program and we would talk again before the end of the year. By the end of the first year she firmly believed that she could still be passionate about her photography majoring in it. She believed that there were some who were art students and some who were artists - some were both, but most one or the other. She was not cut out to be an art student.

So, my advice to her was to keep education as a priority and begin to just chip away at the core stuff - unfortunately, with the art foundation program, the first year was all studio so there were no real transfer credits.

She has been plugging away for another year, exploring her options. Most of you know she works at the gym teaching swim lessons to children, lifeguarding, teaching water fitness and working in the daycare.. She also nannies for a family the days during the week when she is not in class.

She came to me two weeks ago and said she had made a decision. She knew what she wanted to do and had already met with her advisor at school and got the "down-low". She wants to be a Special Education teacher k-5!

I am so thrilled! From a very early age it was apparent she was good with kids. One mother of an autistic son at the gym told easy child's boss she should get the employee of the year award for that dept because she was the only worker that "got" her son. She truly has a gift and I am thrilled she is going to use it. I always knew she should do something with kids, but I'm very careful not to steer.

This morning HBO was still on (from difficult child and I watching True Blood last night) when I turned the TV on and there was a great program called "I Can't Do This/I Can Do That" about children with learning disorders. I was going to let easy child know about it so she can see what a huge impact the proper education can make.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news knowing you would all would appreciate her choice!

Sharon

Mattsmom277

How wonderful! It sounds like your easy child has found a calling and how rare it is to find educators that are good at educating while also understanding the intricacies of special needs students. You must be a proud mama :) Just had a vision of her working a special needs classroom during a art period and using both of her gifts to help her students express themselves through art.
Wishing her all of the best!

Wiped Out

Staff member
This is awesome!!! I have no doubt she will be successful and there are many kiddos who will benefit from having her in their lives:)

Star*

call 911........call 911
That made me tear up LDM-----WHAT a fine young woman with super duper values and a way to change the world in a positive manner. WONDER WHERE IN THE WORLD SHE TAKES HER LEAD -----LOL!

ROCK ON MOM!!!!

:congratualtions:

DDD

This is marvelous. I've always envied those who found their calling early on. the children will be blessed to have her. Awesome. DDD

That is so awesome. I did the exact thing! I spent 2 years at a Fine Arts School in Phila., PA....Now I work in my school district with grades K-3rd autistic students, its so rewarding. Good for her, she'll love it!

LittleDudesMom

Mattsmom and UAN, that's one thing we talked about - art therapy! I told easy child there would be many opportunities to channel her creativity in the Special Education field.

H

HaoZi

Art therapy was the first thing I thought of, too. They'll love her art skills and learning from her even without it being therapy or art class. Sounds great for her!

Nancy

Sharon I am thrilled for her. It's a wonderful feeling when you see your child pursue what they have a passion for. She will make a wonderful teacher and the art will certainly come in handy with Special Education children.

My easy child changed majorsd after two years of college and got her degree in early childhood education. We knew that was her passion and she just finished her first year teaching first grade and loves it. I only wish she had gotten certified in Special Education too because she would be wonderful in that field and had several special needs children in her class and worked very hard to get them services.

I wish your easy child much success but I know she will do great. Congrats to both of you.

Nancy

TerryJ2

Wow, that's great! Congrats to both of you.
My easy child is working along similar lines.
Do you think your easy child got the idea from living with-difficult child? She's definitely making lemons into lemonade. :) Hugs to easy child.

svengandhi

Art therapy was my first thought as well.

My D is in a 5 year program and will come out with an undergrad degree in childhood/elem ed from birth to grade 6 and a masters' in sped for the same ages. Her concentration is music and I am hoping she will pursue either certification, a second masters or a Ph.D. in music therapy. She also wants to work with autistic kids - she has 2 friends similar to your D with whom she thinks about running a program with, one is an art kid and the other loves to work with kids and animals.

Isn't it wonderful when they find their passion?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's great news! I worry about my kiddos finding their niche (especially the difficult children)... and am also careful not to steer. But when they have an aptitude and and interest, it's hard not to give a little push in that direction.

LittleDudesMom

Nancy, she was so upset when she didn't love art foundation - she was crying when she came to me - she didn't want me to be upset and disappointed and she was upset and disappointed. But I knew if I accepted her decision with love and understanding but also gently pushed that she needed to stay in school, it would come! I told her she was in the majority - most kids think they want to study or major in something but totally change that by the end of their first year!

TerryJ2, you know, I don't know. She has been a sensitive kid from the jump. She has always stuck up for the underguy, maintained a strong sense of fair play, been drawn to those a "little different", and has loved kids since she started her own babysitting service at the pool at age 11! Perhaps being with difficult child has taught her the difference intervention can make.......

Svengandhi and gvcmom, I have always strong believed (well, especially since my difficult child came along) that finding their passion is key! It is gratifying to see one of your children, not only find their passion, but use the special gifts they were born with for good.

Now, let's work on difficult child...........

Sharon

svengandhi

Ah, Sharon -

My D was the easy one. She and I are the only people in our family who actually stayed with their goal after the first year of college, although I did change my major (from journalism to poli sci, both with the goal of being a lawyer).

As for my boys, who knows. Oldest boy's current passion appears to be driving - he delivers for a restaurant/catering place and is going further and further as the store's rep spreads. difficult child loves physics and he's apparently good at it. Next boy loves history but his dyslexia makes things tough and baby boy loves science.

It's great that your daughter felt she could tell you how she felt. The daughter of a friend of mine started out as a fine art major in a studio type school, then she switched to art history. She's at her 4th college and is now doing design - she does jewelry and someone has picked up some of her designs. There are many roads to success and contentment.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sharon, your daughter has always been so kind and understanding towards your son that this feels like a perfect fit. Kudos to her for making such a great decision. I hope she loves it.

Suz

Sharon,

What wonderful news! I know your easy child is going to be a great teacher, an excellent role model, and make a positive difference in the lives of all the children she touches. She'll be able to do this from a unique position of truly understanding the rocky path, the roller coaster ride these children will face as they grow, learn, and ultimately overcome so many challenges difficult children face on a daily basis.

I'm amazed at how well difficult child 2's life coach understands him, instinctively knows how to help him, when to push him, when to let up, etc... I had a long talk with her when she first started working with him and she told me that she has a nephew who is similar in many ways to difficult child 2. I am grateful every single day that she is in difficult child 2's life! I know that many parents, caregivers, etc. are going to feel the same way about your easy child as I feel about difficult child 2's life coach.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful news with all of us! SFR