ensory brushes?

army wife

I was wondering how many of you have used sensory brushes or still use them and if they work. My difficult child has tantrums over the smallest things and I was wondering if they would help to calm him down at times. I was also hoping they would help with my ADD, maybe help me collect my thoughts a little and focus more. Have any of you used this for ADD therapy? Which kinds works best?

tiredmommy

I assume you are referring to the Wilbarger Protocol of brushing and compressions? It's been very successful for my Duckie... but it's very important to do it the correct way. You want to talk to an Occupational Therapist (OT) and be trained so that you are doing it the right way. The type of brush is called a surgical or corn brush.

buddy

yes we did it and some thought it helped for a short time after (lots of things did that) but didn't make long term results, but who knows, you can't unring a bell so it didn't hurt him...

I just had a new evaluation done while he was in pt. and they are recommending many things again, especially because he has so many sensory issues. He is really disregulated and the Occupational Therapist (OT) and doctor both felt like this was a huge reason he is so aggressive, he just can't control the level of touching and frequency. He also (once again) scored high for auditory processing problems etc. So, if they recommend it again when we go to private Occupational Therapist (OT) again, I am willing to try again.

I have worked with kids who have used it and actually were able to be toilet trained easier. Others we didn't see much of a change but they loved it anyway. We incorporated it right into our ecse preschool classroom for those who needed it and just tag teamed them, then some spinning, and pecs work while they were positioned on balls etc.... It is all good. If you decide you are interesed, have an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation, then follow their directions exactly.

Let us know how it turns out for you....