Favorite movies

Nomad

Staff member
What are your favorite movies that you don’t mind seeing over and over again? I need a good list for when I’m under the weather or just for quiet Sunday afternoons. Thanks. Some I like are:
“My big fat Greek Wedding”
“Big”
“Home Alone 1”

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
We just watched Wedding Crasher this weekend one rainy afternoon. It is pretty funny. I love Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson and adore Rachel McAdams.

Others that I like a lot and will watch again and again:

• Meet the Parents
  • Meet the Fockers
  • Along Came Polly
  • The Wedding Singer
  • The Hot Chick
  • The Notebook
  • A Star Is Born (new one)
  • Forgetting Sarah Marshall
  • Couples Retreat

I love to laugh!

Crayola13

"Why Did I Get Married" starts out as a comedy, then it gets serious. I liked it a lot. The first one is better than the sequel.

Crayola13

"Ever After" is another good one. It's a teenage fairy tale love story that takes place in the medieval ages. It's funny and sad.

RN0441

I like so many movies it's hard to remember them all!

But I swear when we're looking for a good movie we can't find one!

What about the movie LION? That won awards years ago. There was another one that same year that was in the Oscar line up that was very good too but I can't remember the name of it.

I usually try to watch some of the nominated movies or the winners. Sometimes some of them are a bit odd though.

BusynMember1

I'm not a movie fan. The ones I like I can watch a million times. And have/do.

Star Wars 1 to 6 (last one I personally consider part of the story is Return of the Jedi)

Ghostbusters 1

Groundhogs Day (may be my favorite)

The Santa Clause (first one only,)

Gone With the Wind (forever)

Airplane, Naked Gun 1 and 2 (Biggest LOL movies ever)

Absolutely NO modern movies. I feel modern TV and movies are too busy being politically correct to tell a good story. I think most of the movies I love would never be in theatres today, mostly do to political correctness fears. I don't like insulting anyone but feel easy child is taking things soooooo far in entertainment. Jmo

Nomad

Staff member
Soooo many good ones! Thank you. Awesome choices. And keep them coming please!!!! I always forget too. I know there are more.

we watched “Meet the Parents” last night. Sooo funny. I had forgotten about that one. (Thank you RN)

RN0441

Oh what about:

• Titanic
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • The Revenant
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Shutter Island
  • Django
  • Aviator
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Blood Diamond
  • This Boy's Life
  • Revolutionary Road

My favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movies!!

BusynMember1

There is a very good movie from England that didn't get much publicity here, I don't think, called About A Boy. Sounds like a big nothing but it was very very deep plus had funny spots. Hugh Grant was in it but he played a more serious role and was amazingly GOOD. It is about a disturbed boy who has no friends, his troubled mother and a trust fund baby who never worked a day in his life and wanted to be left alone (played by Grant). Grants character gets unexpectedly involved with the boy and tries to help him and his mother although there is no romance between them. I am not a Hugh Grant fan but he rocked it in this movie.

Worth a try. I was very surprised and have watched it many times.

AppleCori

I have had to work hard to find movies that are appropriate for tweens/teens yet also interesting—both for teens and adults!

One that we saw recently at the movie theater (and has been completely underrated) was Peanut Butter Falcon starring Shia LaBeouf and Zack Gottsagen (a man with Down’s syndrome). Other than some cursing and a little violence, it was a great family movie with a wonderful theme.

I remembered a couple of books I read in childhood and found the movies after we read the books:

Where the Lillies Bloom (G-rated Americana) found it on YouTube. The book is wonderful, and a little better than the movie, but both are great.

The Good Earth (book by Pearl S. Buck) Old black and white movie found on YouTube. The movie is G-rated but the book is more PG13. Both are excellent. She grew up in China in the late 1800s and wrote this wonderful novel about a Chinese family and their travails. The book became the first of a trilogy, I believe.

This is a book we recently read and then found the (animated) movie on Netflix. Don’t be put off by the animation, though. It’s worth seeing even without kids:

The Breadwinner. It’s about a girl in Afghanistan after the Taliban takes over.

My daughter loved all of these movies, and so did my hubby!

Nandina

I love most of the funny movies listed here, especially the Fockers/Parents series. They need to make more of those! On a more dramatic note, I like The Green Mile and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, both great stories with outstanding actors (Tom Hanks, Michael Clarke Duncan—Green Mile; (a young) Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher— Cuckoo’s Nest.)

Copabanana

Any Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie.
Almost any Audrey Hepburn movie (Wait until Dark is too scary.)
Almost any Cary Grant movie.
On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando and Eva Marie Saint
Many Hitchcock movies the intrigue and suspense, not the horror (like the Birds or Psycho, G-d forbid.)
Most any John Wayne movie.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I love.
High Society.

200Meters

A real bustard
The Lion in Winter (1968)

With Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton, I love everything about this movie.

I especially love Katherine Hepburn's monologue in this scene.

The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 (1974)

Possibly the best action/crime thriller ever made. It never gets old.

With Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw & Martin Balsam

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

No matter how many times I watch this, it never fails to scare the hell out of me like I was watching it for the first time.

Nomad

Staff member
200 Meters: Woa...Awesome list and awesome monologue!!!! Thank you!

Everyone: Turns our this list serves a dual purpose...in case you are stuck at home during these c r a z y times!
Be careful out there!

200Meters

A real bustard
How could I possibly forget...

A Man for All Seasons (1966)

I am in awe of this film.

I especially love Paul Scofield's exchange with his wife, daughter & son-in-law in this scene.

JMom

So my taste is very eclectic:

The Great Gatsby
The Passion of the Christ
Fried Green Tomatoes
Steel Magnolias
Game of Thrones
Pretty in Pink
The Breakfast Club
Downton Abbey
Friday
Castaway