Finding a Therapist

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by LadyJ9, Sep 5, 2013.

  1. LadyJ9

    LadyJ9 New Member

    Okay so got my son evaluated-Check, find a new therapist-what?

    So when my son got evaluated, I was under the impression that he would then begin therapy with the psychiatric that evaluated him. I guess I am wrong. He advised me to find a how do I?

    I mean I am in an area where PTSD is common, so most therapists deal with adults suffering from that kind of mental challenge. Without any guidance where do I begin in finding a good therapist for my son? The Psychologist also did recommend medication so is that what the therapist would do?

    I was so excited to be moving forward to suddenly hurry up and wait (sigh). Any advice?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. givemesleep

    givemesleep New Member

    In our case, the therapist is the one that handles the day to day coping strategies and well-being of the child and family. He sees the psychiatrist for medication management and blood pressure and weight checks. Psychologists and therapists cannot prescribe medications. We saw the therapist for a couple of months to try non-medicinal avenues. It came to light that my son needed to be on medication to help with the symptoms of the ADHD.

    I wish you all the best, it can be challenging to navigate everything in the beginning.
  3. Bunny

    Bunny Active Member

    We found our first therapist through our pediatrician's office. I called asking for a recommendation and they got back to me within a day or so. We saw him for quite a while, until this past spring. The therapist we are seeing now came at the recommendation of a family friend who is the mother to two difficult child children and who understood exactly what I was dealing with.

    If the psychiatrist can't recommend someone on your area try calling his pediatrician and start there. Good luck! I hope you find someone who can help your son.
  4. compassion

    compassion Member

    I have also had luck with checking with my insurance company, who is covered in my area, who is in network. I found a therapist though a CARD center (center for autism and related difficulties). They have a resource file with feedback from people who have used various services.
    We have had luck with a psyhcologist who does CBT (cognitive behavoir therapy) and psyhcologist who does ABA (applied behavoir analysis)
  5. CrazyinVA

    CrazyinVA Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I would ask the psychiatrist for a therapist recommendation, that's how I found the best one. in my opinion it's important for the psychiatrist and therapist to have a good working relationship, so it just made sense to get the recommendation striaght from the psychiatrist. Pediatrician is a good suggestion, too, since they also may have to work with the therapist.
  6. LadyJ9

    LadyJ9 New Member

    Thank you all for your help! I felt so lost...again! lol I spoke with the pediatrician and they said to start with the PCP and she will send the referral to the therapists they usually work with. I also finally got a callback from the Children's Mental Health facility in this area. I will get more information on Monday. So at least it appears that I will have some options.