From Straw - main board - a diet that works for her son

strawberryisland
posted 01-18-2000 11:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends:
Just wanted to let you know I'll be taking a little break from the board! My difficult child has gotten so much better (much less oppositional) that I have TIME for a real life now! I was spending more & more of my new found time on the board (which I used to use to escape to! lol) that now, I realize I can go back to doing things most regular moms do, who aren't in constant crisis! When we finally started the diet totally eliminating sugar, wheat, etc. he was 70% better in 4 days! (And, I am a real mom & I am not making this up.) I need to now start on my own self-improvement plan!

I'll list some things & resources that have helped our family, just in case someone is interested in trying it for their own family! Good luck (it isn't easy, but worth it! )

Straw's plan that worked on our difficult child:

1. Diet management (no preservatives, dyes, additives, caffeine, sugar, chocolate, wheat or refined foods) Cook almost everything homemade & eat mostly homemade soups, whole fruits, salads & meat, with spices in various ways (whole foods) Remove food sensitivities, find out what from elimination diet, or ALCAT blood test for antibodies, NOT skin prick kind. (if you can't totally eliminate preservatives, just try to reduce, as some bodies cannot properly digest them). Usually if the kids crave something that is what is bad for them just like for us . You might start by keeping a food diary (and add behaviors!). Moonglow knows how!

2. Nystatin Powder (prescription to control Candida yeast - 750,000 units 4 x day) & digestive enzymes. If kids have been on antibiotics much, they probably have too much yeast in body.

3. Stress reduction (ideal is 20 minutes 2 x day, but we usually get in only one!) like mediation, biofeedback, prayer, relaxation tapes to get the stored up stress from your hypothalamus & get it working properly . . . this is tied in to the whole immune system, fight or flight state, etc.

4. Vitamin supplementation & imbalances (for deficiencies, checked from hair, blood, urine testing)

5. Exercise & laughter! & Positive comments! (Lots of all! And lots of faith!)
and we hope to start biofeedback soon, so I will be popping in to ask questions about that!

Resources:
The Healing Power of Whole Foods by Beth Loiselle (recipes & how to's)
Biological Treatments for Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) by William Shaw (explains yeast, diet, other tests)
Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp (elimination diet, etc.)
Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman (our child was gluten sensitive, recipe book)

Other resources that may be of interest to you:
Website: https://web.archive.org/web/20130808072857/http://www.hriptc.org/index.php
The Body/Brain Connection by Sharon Promislow
Prescription for Natural Healing by James Balch
Mind as Healer/Mind as Slayer
Diet, Crime & Delinquency by Alexander Schauss

From me, Straw, I want to thank you all for the support & encouragement you've given me as I logged on & followed your stories & your lives. I feel somewhat selfish in taking time for myself when so many of you are still "in the trenches". (That is why I listed what has helped us. . . it may not help everyone, but it helped us . . . and we were able to stay on our medications, they work better & with improving absorption, we were able to reduce the side effects as we reduced the medications to less than what he first started taking 3 yrs ago!)

Know that you are in my thoughts & prayers. You have so much love to give each other! I may pop in from time to time, but I have found that I really have no "excuse" to do so, and my family needs me so much. I have a little boy & husband to take care of & guide & I do need to spend more time with them (plus cooking from scratch is a killer for me!)

My main suggestion, if you are at your wits end, is to fall on your knees and ask God for His mercy & guidance & have faith. He will show you the way! Read Psalms & Proverbs (1 chapter each day) for encouragement.

Love & Hugs

Straw

Please be happy for me, I wish all members of the Conduct Disorders board could do this & finally, take time for yourselves & not really need the support. And, please know that you didn’t ask me one question too many, or email me too much, etc. I loved it! (But the only real thing I have expertise about is what worked for us! . . . Dogchopper, Cheryl, Bookmom, Lesley, and many others are much more educated in other areas, in addition to diet, etc.) I’ll still check in & read my email, but not daily . . . so if you post a question to me, or email me, it may be awhile before I get back to you! Remember, I’ll be out LIVING!!! (Or playing bridge on Internet!)

Dogchopper, could you archive resources in your forum when you are able to post again!