"future therapy" for depression just sounded interesting

buddy

I was watching the news and saw this Dr. talking about how this therapy activates areas of the brain that are sluggish in people with depression. Just was interesting so I googled it. I had depression when I was younger (grad school days, probably before too). It really runs in my family and my sister and niece have it right now.

I also have a friend who has a VNS implanted to help her depression. I took her to the hospital. many times when she was suicidal. None of that now. She says she has never felt like this, it has been 2 or 3 years now.

http://www.modernmedicine.com/moder...at-Depr/ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/716127
Jennice S. Vilhauer, Ph.D., of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, and colleagues investigated the impact of FDT on 16 patients with depression, compared with 17 patients who underwent traditional, cognitive-based group psychotherapy. The FDT group met for 90-minute sessions, twice a week for 10 weeks. The study team measured the severity of depression and anxiety symptoms, and quality of life before and after treatment, using the Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptoms, the Beck Anxiety Inventory, and the Quality-of-Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire short form.
The researchers found that the patients who participated in the FDT experienced significant improvements in their depression, anxiety, and quality of life. They were also highly satisfied with the therapy. The FDT patients exhibited greater improvements in depressive symptoms compared to the cognitive-based therapy group (P = 0.049).