Gastroenterologist is a pro-FODMAP person :)

TerryJ2

He knew all about it and uses it.
Did not prescribe any more medications.
Did ask for more testing. I had already written down my suggestions: ESR or SED rate and C-reactive protein and he agreed. He wants to redo the celiac test I had done a few yrs back. by the way, I am not brilliant and didn't memorize these tests, lol! All I did, for those of you who may want to arm yourselves at the next dr appointment, is go online to my records, note the names of the tests I'd already had done, then went onto a common medication site online and compared notes, and found a cpl tests that hadn't been done yet. :) Also, I noted that Lotromex is commonly prescribed for IBS but that I couldn't remember if that was the drug that killed 5 women last yr. The dr kind of chuckled and said, "I won't be prescribing anything else until the tests come back."

He said to continue with-the elimination diet.
He did throw me a curveball with-the celiac test. I suggested that a virus just before Thanksgiving may have set all of this off, and I just can't seem to get things under control. He agreed, but said that we can develop celiac disease or other allergies or sensitivities in life (he was careful not to say as we get older! lol). I guess that makes sense; I could have a genetic predisposition but needed something to set it off.

This morning my insides were calm. I had chicken, fish and rice yesterday. I tried a forkful of spaghetti sauce with rice pasta and so far, so good. I've been eating Rice Crispies and applesauce, and plain decaf tea and lots of water. Lots of digestive enzymes, too.

The dr suggested Lomotil as the best antidiarrheal. I've just been buying the store brand.
And he disagreed that using too many can make my body dependent.
Surely he must know, from all of the research I did, that I'm not a totally compliant patient ... :)

So far, I am glad I went, because it is certainly a step beyond the gp.

I'm interested in the new test results. I'll get tested tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support!

InsaneCdn

Yay for a doctor who listens... and is on the same page but not a pushover...
Hope the testing goes well.

And glad you're feeling a bit better.

TerryJ2

Me too! Thank you.

Now I am developing a rash. Started on my right arm, now my eyelids and wrists itch. WTH????

witzend

I'm so glad that you have found a doctor that you can talk to. I know it's SUCH A RELIEF to you! I just went through the same thing in triplicate here so I can really relate.

Are you saying that you are on no medications and you're getting a rash? If it's on your eyelids, I'm thinking that has to be that you rubbed your eyes with something and transferred it from your hands. If it were me and it were on my wrist, I'd be looking at clothing or detergents. I know it's not new foods! ;)

TerryJ2

Well, husband mentioned that I had forgotten to eliminate all of my vitamins and supplements. Sigh.

I am still taking Airborne, as of today. I refused to give that up. I am also taking Effexor, which I've been on for yrs. And an occasional Xanax. I will Google them in regard to rashes.

Yes, I am thinking laundry soap, or even lord knows, something else I ate. Or maybe some supplement has been formulated differently. I noticed that that herbal cholesterol pills have lactase in them.
At least I'm learning to really, really really read labels!

I don't think this is shingles again. I had it this summer and it was classic, right around my rib cage. This rash is very, very fine and raised.

Just call me Nancy Drew. :(

TerryJ2

So far, rashes are a side effect of Xanax. And they can create sun sensitivity. I had that this summer, as well. This is a good resourceL http://migraine.com/blog/migraine-medications-and-the-risk-of-sun-sensitivity-a-list/

Antihistamines are on the list. Great. Sigh.

Okay, just looked up Effexor. That can cause an itchy rash, too.

husband, by the way, mentioned that inhaling laundry powder is very bad, so when he puts in the scoop of detergent, he holds some clothing over it. Good idea. I'll be switching to liquid after this. Even though I buy the non-perfumed kind, I'm not trusting anything any more.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you like him and he wants to do some things rather than just throw rx's at you. Esp at the first appointment, Know what I mean??

TerryJ2

Yes, but he threw me for a loop when he brought in a middle aged intern, who turned out to be someone who wanted to go into either mktng or admin, can't recall, but he was talking and listening his very best ... you know how it works with-a witness ... and the gastro said, "Well, I know you very well, so it's nice to see you again. We can talk this time."
I thought, you do? From which end?
:crazy2: