Getting older... feeling ones age!

Pink Elephant

Oh my word... some days, let me tell you.

There are days where I feel like I'm 100 years old, and compared to even just 10 years ago, I don't the oomph that I used to when it comes to drive. Instead of cleaning the entire house top to bottom, I concentrate on one thing at a time, usually performing one or two things per week.

Dusting one day, gardening the next, then a day or two to relax, maybe cook or bake, then maybe a few loads of laundry, and so on.

When I was younger I remember lifting my kids in and out of their baby cribs multiple times each day and thinking nothing of it. Even when my grandchildren were babies I had no issues with it, but I sure wouldn't want to be trying to repeat the same today, not that I'm decrepit or anything, just that my old back and knees aren't what they used to be.

Seems age creeps up on us so quietly, then one day it's there.

Anyhow, thought it would be fun to peruse this topic with you, knowing I'm not the only one getting old. :)

What are your experiences with age?

Are there certain things you remember doing with the greatest of ease, but no longer have the oomph to tackle like you used to?

How about medication... do you find yourself taking the likes of Advil and Tylenol (or other) more so now that you're older, as compared to when you were younger?

How about morning stiffness?

What about housework? Are there certain things you flat-out refuse to tackle now that you're older, that you used to think nothing of when you were younger?

What bothers you the most when it comes to general daily aches and pains? Your back? Your knees? Your joints?

How about stamina?

How about memory?

How about interest in doing things?

Lil

The aches and pains for sure. I've never been in "shape" - unless you could round - round is a shape - so stamina, etc., never awesome to begin with. But, I used to be able to stay in bed until noon and now I hurt by 9 a.m. I know that's a silly thing to complain about, but really, should sleeping hurt? I know now why old people never sleep...it makes their backs and hips hurt!

And speaking of sleeping, WHY do older people have to pee so much? I never used to have to get up in the middle of the night and now I'm happy if it's once. That's just unfair! Of course we're tired all the time, we can't sleep in and what little sleep we get, we wake up to tinkle! I want to sleep!

Memory. This is the most disturbing for me. I've never had a memory for names. I tell people who work with me I won't remember their names if they quit with-in a year, like I never knew them. But lately...terrible! I found out the other day that menopause pretty much gives you baby-brain. As in I felt stupid when I was pregnant - lots of women do, like the baby is sucking your brain dry. Well I never knew that the same thing happens in menopause. I honestly was about to call my doctor thinking I'd suffered some mental issue that gave me aphasia...I'm constantly calling things by the wrong name. I mean like, "the time-telling thing" means "clock". I hate it. Apparently, perfectly normal. :(

AppleCori

I don’t have any aches and pains, but my hubby does. He also complains of laying in bed too long. He has to get up after eight hours max, without fail.

He has to wake up for potty several times in the night, too.

The memory thing—I had to talk to my doctor about that for reassurance. I was getting worried. I’m having my monthly cycle sporadically now, and I wish I could just be done with it! Hubby went to his old college and got tested for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) (because he played football in college). Most colleges will do work-ups for free for previous players. He is OK, but he was getting worried about memory issues, too.

I don’t ever (almost never) take any kind of Advil/tylenol/pain medications. I have to have a migraine-level headache before I will consider it.

I am probably not as energetic as I used to be, but I still get everything done. We go walking every day, for a half hour to an hour, plus gym time every other day, and that helps with energy. Hubby has also had less pains since we started going regularly.

Interest I doing things—I still like outdoor activities like camping, fishing, walking, biking, driving, etc, but I don’t care so much about going out at night anymore. I’m pretty much a bed-before-eleven person, even on weekends.

Crayola13

I'm only 44, and for about a year I have been having body aches so badly that I can barely sleep. I don't know if I am getting arthritis at an early age. Water aerobics doesn't help. Some of the herbal blends and glucosamine sulfate help. The muscle spasms are the real killer. I soak in a hot bath which helps for a while. Epsom salt doesn't help unless you soak for about two hours. Tens Therapy helps a lot.

BusynMember

Of course anything can change, but I don't really feel old or like I slowed down that much. I do have some arthritis but read that exercise helps so I at least walk five miles a day without trouble. I don't get short of breath. Most people think I am much younger than .I am.

I don't know if it will last, .I do try to stay strong. I eat very healthy and am active and even more importantly in my opinion never smoked. I can't think of anything to age one more than smoking. No offense meant t by it but it winds you, causes heart problems and breathing issues.

My memory was never good lol!

KTMom91

What are your experiences with age? I honestly don't know if my mobility issues are the result of getting older, of being overweight, or of fibromyalgia. Either way, I don't like it.

Are there certain things you remember doing with the greatest of ease, but no longer have the oomph to tackle like you used to? My body hurts and it's difficult to walk easily and quickly.

How about medication... do you find yourself taking the likes of Advil and Tylenol (or other) more so now that you're older, as compared to when you were younger? I take so much stuff now that I'm amazed I don't rattle when I walk.

How about morning stiffness? Oh, yeah...

What about housework? Are there certain things you flat-out refuse to tackle now that you're older, that you used to think nothing of when you were younger? I do things in 15 minute increments

What bothers you the most when it comes to general daily aches and pains? Your back? Your knees? Your joints? My knees, my feet, and my lower legs are constantly painful. In addition, I'm developing balance issues.

How about stamina? Nope.

How about memory? Still good

How about interest in doing things? I want to do more than I'm able to at this time. Working on building up my strength.

Pink Elephant

What are your experiences with age? Goodness me... so many. Mild aches and pains, including flare-ups of joints every now and then. Plus not having the motivation and energy as I used to. Also, my outlook on life (at times) can be negative... more so than it used to be.

Are there certain things you remember doing with the greatest of ease, but no longer have the oomph to tackle like you used to? Absolutely. Wall-scrubbing/washing, floor washing, though I still do those things, I don't have the strength or energy to tackle them like I used to.

How about medication... do you find yourself taking the likes of Advil and Tylenol (or other) more so now that you're older, as compared to when you were younger? Sure do! Not regularly, but when needed, absolutely.

How about morning stiffness? Yuppers, especially after a day of gardening. My back, legs, and neck tend to relay stiffness and soreness the worst.

What about housework? Are there certain things you flat-out refuse to tackle now that you're older, that you used to think nothing of when you were younger? Not really, but I can tell you that I don't slide furniture around and rearrange rooms like I used to. LOL!

What bothers you the most when it comes to general daily aches and pains? Your back? Your knees? Your joints? All the above. Sometimes soreness migrates into the cheeks of my butt, depending on what it was that I was doing.

How about stamina? Still pretty good, but I'd be lying to myself if I didn't recognize the fact that I have slowed down a fraction, compared to when I was younger. Age is definitely creeping in.

How about memory? LOL! Excellent for the most part, but some days let me tell you.

How about interest in doing things? Oh yes... I'm still active and enjoy doing things, but I also enjoy relaxing, too, something I never really used to be good at when I was younger. How times change the older one gets.